Too MANY signings?

Danny

Just throwing this one out there...

Chelsea have discovered last season the problems of having too many players. They ended up with guys not performing, such as Shevchenko and Ballack, and a real lack of obvious spirit on the pitch. Guys like Ferreira, a WC right back, were dropped in favour of Bhoularouz, likewise the excellent Bridge dropped for the mediocre Cole.

Is there a danger of bringing in too big a squad and having an awful lot of unhappy players? We've brought in 7 players, and we want more. We're going to have a lot of unhappy forwards; Novo, Sebo, Boyd, Buffel, Gow, JCD and McC can't all have a game at the same time.

Is this the way forward? Or is the balance about right?

Chelsea have discovered last season the problems of having too many players. They ended up with guys not performing, such as Shevchenko and Ballack, and a real lack of obvious spirit on the pitch. Guys like Ferreira, a WC right back, were dropped in favour of Bhoularouz, likewise the excellent Bridge dropped for the mediocre Cole.

Is there a danger of bringing in too big a squad and having an awful lot of unhappy players? We've brought in 7 players, and we want more. We're going to have a lot of unhappy forwards; Novo, Sebo, Boyd, Buffel, Gow, JCD and McC can't all have a game at the same time.

You could argue that Buffel, Gow and McC are midfielders.

As I said in a previous post, we've suffered from having a small squad for years. Will take a while to get used to this new, slightly larger one!

We need a big team Danny.

If you look at last season we had guys like Adam, who didn't have a single competitor for the left wing position.

Competition is healthy, IMO.

You could argue that Buffel, Gow and McC are midfielders.

As I said in a previous post, we've suffered from having a small squad for years. Will take a while to get used to this new, slightly larger one!

i agree,some of downfalls in recent years have been the wee size of the squad

they say you need 4 strikers in a team. and tbh, youd be lucky if we have 3. with boyd, if he gets injured we are stuffed, do we rely on, gow? whos not an out and out scorer? novo, who plays better at RW now... JCD who is unproven thus far, sebo, who we dont even know if he has IT. Mcculoch? will offer that bit of muscle upfront but is he really out and out? 46 goals in 241 appearances or so playing at left mid a lot doesnt suggest it. tbh. we need another striker capable of putting that ball in the back of the net.

It's one of those thimngs that we will only beable to judge over time.

One of two things will happen:

1) certain "complacent" players will get a big kick up the arse and finally start to perform regularly.

2) players will get lacklustured and bored with not playing and that will destroy team spirit.

IMO this is where bringing in team players as opposed to ego/rolls royce players will have it's most noticable effect, simply because they are more likely to work hard to get into the team and when they get a chance, as oposed to sulking and moaning about it ala Sionko.

I laughed at the title tbh!

The balance is fine, we have good replacements at the right times now - where it seems all the big teams have

The Chelsea example (and maybe Barca too) show the flip side of the coin though.

Both lacked success despite brilliant squads - HUGE squads.

And look at both sides' strikers - Chelsea bring in Pizarro when they already have Kalou, Drogba and Shevchenko, yet rarely play with even 2 up front.

Barca now have a likely unhappy Eto'o given their acquisition of Henry.

We don't want to make too many players unhappy, that is all :)

Too many or a lot of new players arriving at one time can cause problems as there is time required to settle in etc. However the new additions are necessary and the risks that come with that are acceptable in the circumstances. We like everyone else require a big squad and furthermore just as last season not all the new boys will be a success.

We needed a bigger squad and still do.

We STILL need:

Quality right m/fielder and winger; striker/targetman; right back to give Hutton competition.

No the squad is not too large, especially if some leave as I expect Sionko and Buffel? Papac? Sebo? might.

I always welcome lots of signings but when some of them are donkeys like McCulloch, Gow, Carroll and Broadfoot etc it means hee haw at the end of the say :pipegreen:

I always welcome lots of signings but when some of them are donkeys like McCulloch, Gow, Carroll and Broadfoot etc it means hee haw at the end of the say :pipegreen:

I would certainly give Gow a chance FISH, you dont like him ?

Fish thinks he's a donkey just because he's came from Falkirk, but he's worked hard for this move

the evening times said that mcculloch will be our 9th signing.

can someone remind me of all the signings please as i can't think of all 9.

cheers

SSN said it was our 8th.

Gow, Broadfoot, Smith, Carrol, Cuellar, Beasley, McCulloch, Darchville...I'm quite obviously missing someone else.

Saw him in his games against us and a few against other teams and he just looks like any other run o the mill player and thats what youz saw also.....

Not RFC standard just Falkirk standard and nothing else :pipegreen:

the evening times said that mcculloch will be our 9th signing.

can someone remind me of all the signings please as i can't think of all 9.

cheers

I got 10:

Carroll

Broadfoot

Webster

Efreem

JCD

Beasley

Gow

Smith

McCulloch

Celluer

Not sure if Webster counts? :unsure:

I was thinking they got their figures because at the same time we've signed that young Austrian lad Marco Michetschlager?

With regards to too many players, I disagree, we have been crying out for a stronger squad, and a squad that has competition as we have now.

Barca and Chelsea aren't very good examples, as they buy players for multi-million pounds and then never play them, they probably have enough players that they could send out 4 first teams never mind two.