Should we change to a 3-5-2 formation ?

WhosTheDado

3 hours ago, docspiderman said:

Our problem is that we tend to playas 2-3-5 although against Killie it looked more like 2-2-6.

I agree - we seem to have lost all of our shape recently. It's like schoolboys with everyone pressing forward. I think a large part of our issue is the positioning of our midfield and wingers.

Barton sits FAR too deep, he is literally 2 yards in front of our CHs at times. Rossiter isn't much more advanced which means the opposition CMs (usually 2 of them given 5 man midfields) push up and press. You'd think this would leave space for our wingers to exploit but they are pushed up to the defensive line, meaning the opposition full backs mark them out the game. Our CF is double marked by both CHs. This leaves our 1 forward CM either man marked by their other CM or not.

It's not working. We have no wingers in the team - McKay is a AMC/R, O'Halloran is a CF, Forrester is a AMC we don't have natural wingers that can hit the byline and cross, the only time we get that is with overlapping full backs, therefore I think we should try playing narrower and letting the fullbacks overlap.

4-4-2 Diamond

57c8956055e17.jpg

4-3-2-1

Rangers4-3-2-1.JPG

We need to stop changing system to suit the new players we have signed and start fitting the players into the system we are used to. If they don't fit into the system then they shouldn't play. If we have signed too many players for specific positions in our system we just need to bench some of them and have the depth. If that means dropping one or two of Rossiter, Barton, Halliday then so be it. We had so much success against Celtic and every team we played last year using that system that if we shore up our defence and keep using it then we will win games. Trying to play or create a new system before Celtic is just too rushed. I realise dropping one or two of the three players mentioned would be very tricky for Warburton, especially Barton, but that's just the pressures of being a manager at a club of Rangers stature. No player should be bigger than our system or team mentality. It is completely ridiculous that people are calling for Warburtons head though, we are lucky to have him and should enjoy him whilst he is here. Make no mistake about it, if he wins the top flight in Scotland against Brenda with the money they have to spend then he will almost certainly be moving on as soon as a decent EPL job becomes available and he is interviewed.

I didn't mind Barton going on the wind up before but after the couple of slip ups in the league he needs to just wind his neck in. He isn't to blame for us changing our system or accommodating him but he must surely realise now that it's time to put up or shut up. 

Everyone that I keep hearing saying Barton, Hill, Krancjar etc have played in big games before and won titles before... that's all well and good but if QPR win the Championship it's a good season, well done and onto the Premiership. If they don't win their league then they move on and try again the next season. If Rangers win the league it's a cause for celebration, if we lose the league it's a total and utter disaster. The pressures at these two clubs are completely different and something none of these players have previously experienced. I'm looking forward to the game and hoping we can upset the odds... you can't really second guess how an Old Firm game will pan out, nothing would surprise me.