29 years ago today

Fred H Crawford

4 hours ago, Fred H Crawford said:

44 500 , witnessed and contributed to one of the best atmospheres I've had the privilege of experiencing at Ibrox when we overcame a first leg deficit to knock Dynamo Kiev out the European Cup .

Ibrox was absolutely bouncing that night , IMO the best  atmosphere the remodelled Stadium had seen up to then . It was our first home game in the champions cup since the QF draw with Cologne back in 1979 , and by fuck did we let everyone know the Rangers were back ! Souness got the tactics spot on (including the width of the pitch) and the players on the park responded brilliantly but for me the support that night made the big difference , helping carry the team over the line . Kiev were always a threat and the last 10 minutes were fucking unreal .

The first leg had a reported attendance of 100 000 , probably the last time Rangers played in front of a six figure crowd , I'm sure though that the noise created by less than half that contributed to our famous win . Here's to more nights like this in the not too distant future . :uk::uk::7326::ulster::uk::uk:

I was there with my old man and brother, the atmosphere was electric like Id never exoperienced before or since. really thought we were going to win it

Unfortunately due to the current circumstances I find myself reminiscing probably more than I should these days, god knows we've had precious little to cheer about lately .

Having been there that night I'd  probably concur with the op's assessment of the best atmosphere I've witnessed at Ibrox. There have been a few others as has been mentioned but i'd probably agree that one shades it . I didn't realize there was a six figure attendance at the first leg which just makes my next point all the more amazing. Anybody who was there will tell you that team simply shit themselves that night such was the noise generated in our stadium.

Haven't read the full thread so if anybody else has pointed this out, my apologies. If memory serves me correctly their team was made up of over half the Russian national team and they were a real European force in those days. I don't like going over the top about the past but I'll only justify my comments by saying it helps you keep the faith when times are bad. 

Any younger bears reading this I sincerely hope you're all able to witness nights like the Kiev game for yourselves but know this. It might take a while yet but those nights WILL return for us despite what our detractors tell you.

It's one of two games, the Kiev game was the one were I was feared to walk up to the half dozen steps to get into the top of the Govan and then scratching my head about why the pitch looked different.

The second and my personal fav was the 2-2 we came back from 2 down with 9 men. The noise for the equaliser was like a sonic boom. My work colleague in their end said he'd never heard the like.

Those days will return, we've just got to remember what Mr Struth told us.

"Let the others come after us. We welcome the chase. It is healthy for us. We will never hide from it. Never fear, inevitably we shall have our years of failure, and when they arrive, we must reveal tolerance and sanity" - W. Struth.

Mr Struth would struggle with the impatience and extreme reaction we have to every result at the moment.