Rangers Q&A; Mark Warburton.

ForeverAndEver

54 minutes ago, Courtyard Bear said:

People said this about McCoist on the way back, it's just about getting back not how we do it.

Then the wheels came off. 

That team going into Europe is a scary thought, and the wheels have already came off. 

You cannot possibly compare McCoist's reign to Warburton's. If you do, then Warburton's has been a rip-roaring success, which it hasn't in the grand scheme of things.

The progress we've made and where we're currently at, compared to where we were eighteen months ago, is tremendous. We conceded six goals in two games against a worse Motherwell side than we've just beaten twice. Less than two seasons later, we're second in the SPL. That's progress; that's realistic development.

I don't want to appear to be condoning the Hearts result because, as Warburton himself said, it's unacceptable, but do we think we have a divine right to walk over every club in this country? We did and I believe we will again, but right now, we're an on-track work in progress with inevitable flaws.

53 minutes ago, Lothianbear said:

Its all very well beating the lower teams in the league i get it , same three points and all that, we might scrape into europe for what? two games ? we haven't built a squad good enough to beat septic, sheep and hertz so god help us! hertz built a team in a week and hammered us , im adjusting no expectations Mr Warburton has had long enough we aint improving. He said it himself This is Rangers Football Club. 

My personal opinion is that you better get used to this, never mind as a bluenose, but as a football fan in Scotland.

Progressively, we're getting worse and worse in comparison to our European neighbours.

That's a strong Celtic side; much stronger than is necessary, hence their form, and players like Sinclair & Dembelè are English Premier League players (More Deeney than Costa). Yet, they lost to a semi-professional side and conceded seven at Barcelona.

We are entitled to nothing. Fuck all. If and when we qualify for the Europa, we probably won't be favourites to progress. Again, that is the reality.

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, WeirFleckNRothen said:

You cannot possibly compare McCoist's reign to Warburton's. If you do, then Warburton's has been a rip-roaring success, which it hasn't in the grand scheme of things.

The progress we've made and where we're currently at, compared to where we were eighteen months ago, is tremendous. We conceded six goals in two games against a worse Motherwell side than we've just beaten twice. Less than two seasons later, we're second in the SPL. That's progress; that's realistic development.

I don't want to appear to be condoning the Hearts result because, as Warburton himself said, it's unacceptable, but do we think we have a divine right to walk over every club in this country? We did and I believe we will again, but right now, we're an on-track work in progress with inevitable flaws.

My personal opinion is that you better get used to this, never mind as a bluenose, but as a football fan in Scotland.

Progressively, we're getting worse and worse in comparison to our European neighbours.

That's a strong Celtic side; much stronger than is necessary, hence their form, and players like Sinclair & Dembelè are English Premier League players (More Deeney than Costa). Yet, they lost to a semi-professional side and conceded seven at Barcelona.

We are entitled to nothing. Fuck all. If and when we qualify for the Europa, we probably won't be favourites to progress. Again, that is the reality.

They are very comparable, both started off with a huge advantage in playing staff against the opposition. As soon as that advantage is narrowed or non existent then the shit hits the fan. 

Both are entrenched managers who won't change if their life depended on it. 

We made a massive leap from McCoist to Warburton by the simple fact we had better players, but from there it's the same old story we made no development under McCoist and we are making no development under Warburton in fact there is a good argument that we have went backwards from Day1 of the Warburton reign. 

7 minutes ago, Courtyard Bear said:

They are very comparable, both started off with a huge advantage in playing staff against the opposition. As soon as that advantage is narrowed or non existent then the shit hits the fan. 

We made a massive leap from McCoist to Warburton by the simple fact we had better players, but from there it's the same old story we made no development under McCoist and we are making no development under Warburton in fact there is a good argument that we have went backwards from Day1 of the Warburton reign. 

No 2 ways about it, it's been a disastrous experiment for the club. An atrocious and highly embarrassing 2 years. Much like the 4 before it. 

5 minutes ago, Tenerife Bear said:

No 2 ways about it, it's been a disastrous experiment for the club. An atrocious and highly embarrassing 2 years. Much like the 4 before it. 

Only saving grace I can see is that hopefully the youth system put in place will bear fruits in the future. As I believe that is Warburtons level and what he is good at I have high hopes. 

25 minutes ago, Courtyard Bear said:

McCoist started off with a huge advantage over part-time, semi-professional binmen, postmen and brickies. When Warburton arrived, we were in a significantly more competitive league and had just lost 14 first team players.

I don't disagree that Warburton is stubborn, but I wholeheartedly disagree with the suggestion that we're in a crisis.

What do you mean by your last paragraph? We had better players from McCoist to Warburton because Warburton signed those better player. That must be a typo from you, surely? Are you refusing to credit Warburton with his own recruitment?

We have no gone backwards from Day 1 of Warburton's reign. You're just being stupid, now. Since then, we've won the Challenge Cup, reached the Scottish Cup final, won an Old Firm game and we're sitting second in the league, on course for European football next season. If you don't class that as progress, then I'm afraid your standards are unrealistic.

17 minutes ago, Tenerife Bear said:

:lol:

I don't even know how to respond to this. It's easily the worst post I've seen over the past two days. Hands down, 100%.

11 minutes ago, WeirFleckNRothen said:

McCoist started off with a huge advantage over part-time, semi-professional binmen, postmen and brickies. When Warburton arrived, we were in a significantly more competitive league and had just lost 14 first team players.

I don't disagree that Warburton is stubborn, but I wholeheartedly disagree with the suggestion that we're in a crisis.

What do you mean by your last paragraph? We had better players from McCoist to Warburton because Warburton signed those better player. That must be a typo from you, surely? Are you refusing to credit Warburton with his own recruitment?

We have no gone backwards from Day 1 of Warburton's reign. You're just being stupid, now. Since then, we've won the Challenge Cup, reached the Scottish Cup final, won an Old Firm game and we're sitting second in the league, on course for European football next season. If you don't class that as progress, then I'm afraid your standards are unrealistic.

Standards? We've just been pumped 4-1 by Hearts and have no money at all to take us forward. We have a manager who thinks getting into the Europa League is a success and it doesn't matter how far away we are from Celtic, 'because they have more money'. 

This is a disaster situation we are in, there is no 2 ways about it. We'll probably surrender 2nd place to the sheep, how is this acceptable standards? how have we progressed in anyway since December 2015?

19 minutes ago, WeirFleckNRothen said:

Your missing the point Ally started with no team in the bottom tier brought in players far superior to the opposition from Day1, Warburton started with the bones of Ally's  squad and brought in far superior players to the opposition from Day1 started well got found out and struggled over the line losing away game after away game to main rivals. This has continued in the top teir and we can even struggle at home to teams  

Ally lost it when he came up against a league full of similar standard of players, Warburton has done the same. 

Both wouldn't change their system. 

How can you say we haven't gone backwards from Day1 tell me what we do better now than from Day1. 

We still can't defend, We still fail to convert our chances, the defensive midfield problem is still there, we have no fight in the team, our passing is rank rotten most of the time, we are slow and predictable for 95% of the time  

So tell me what do we do better? 

We won a challenge cup at the last time of asking beating a part time football team, blew a Scottish cup final losing again to a main rival, drew against a piss poor celtic team who had the better chances and finally got past them in the lottery that is spot kicks, we are sitting second 25 points behind the leaders and if Aberdeen win their game in hand we go 3rd, we can't win away from home against our main rivals. 

As for European football if we hang on, it gives me the fear with this bunch. We will do well to get past the first qualifying round and that is being realistic. 

If you think the last 2 years have been realistic progress god help us in the future. 

1 hour ago, Hilly86 said:

"Aberdeen have a smaller budget but they have a squad that’s been together longer. They are battle-hardened in Europe."

When did that happen?

I wonder if it's worse than just not seeing the things that don't work on the pitch now. He's inventing his own reality.

I think like PLG he has no real knowledge of the Scottish game and the type of player you need to compete here, we have too many weak players who are technically good on the ball but have no players around them fighting for them and giving them the ball and protection they need.

Our defence is Powderpuff and really slow and we lack a decent striker although Miller trying his best he's not at the level he was.

I think he has got his Transfers all wrong and some, unfortunately, have not worked out for him/us either.

1 hour ago, Tenerife Bear said:

This is utter nonsense.

Warburton got us promoted whilst playing a nice style of football. Got us to Scottish cup final knocking out Savco along the way. This season has been poor so far but to say Warburton has been a disastrous experiment is rubbish

2 minutes ago, Amato said:

This is utter nonsense.

Warburton got us promoted whilst playing a nice style of football. Got us to Scottish cup final knocking out Savco along the way. This season has been poor so far but to say Warburton has been a disastrous experiment is rubbish

Another myth. The football was good for 2 months. 2 months we got, one round of fixtures against everyone and then they all read us like a book and adjusted accordingly. He won the lottery of penalties against the worst Celtic team in 30 years. It's been a disaster. You mentioned 2 positives, one of which isn't even true. I could be here all day listing his negatives.  

1 minute ago, Tenerife Bear said:

Another myth. The football was good for 2 months. 2 months we got, one round of fixtures against every and then they all read us like a book and adjusted accordingly. He won the lottery of penalties against the worst Celtic team in 30 years. It's been a disaster. You mentioned 2 positives, one of which isn't even true. I could be here all day listing his negatives.  

Compare this style of football to what we were served up before. Positive.

Scottish cup final. Positive.

Beating Celtic. Positive regardless of what sort of negative slant you want to try and put on it.

Second in the league this year isn't bad if we're being realistic. 

Clearly much improvement needed, Warburton has major flaws that, if he addressed, I'd be happy for him to stay. Doubt he will address them though. Regardless, don't think you can just write off the past season as disastrous.

36 minutes ago, Smile said:

I think like PLG he has no real knowledge of the Scottish game and the type of player you need to compete here, we have too many weak players who are technically good on the ball but have no players around them fighting for them and giving them the ball and protection they need.

Our defence is Powderpuff and really slow and we lack a decent striker although Miller trying his best he's not at the level he was.

I think he has got his Transfers all wrong and some, unfortunately, have not worked out for him/us either.

I agree that it seems like MW manages to some preconceived notion of a one-size-fits-all way to play football, but I don't know about the 'Scottish game' thing. For all that we're struggling to look better than the rest for now, we all know that any team finishing above us will, as in every other season, get hammered by some modest European team in a preliminary round next season - battle-hardened or not.

Totally agree with the "weak" observation about us. It's still shocking to us being bullied regularly, not even able to land tackles or make opponents think twice about taking a second touch. The number of times we've watched that defence allow strikers to walk off them and pull down long balls without a hint of a challenge is criminal.

So much about him, transfers included, just seems so muddled and the things he seems clear about don't make sense to me.

He has done himself no favours with that rubbish. He can't accept criticism and his arguments were contradictory.

The Leicester budget point is way off the mark. They won the league because they adapted their system - defend well and take your 1 or 2 chances on the counter attack. Our system doesn't work and he refuses to accept that or try something else. It's fine for the likes of Barca to keep possession and walk the ball into the net but we don't have the ability to do it and never will. 

His biggest failure is in recruitment. The glaring issue has always been the defence and it has been patched in each window. A good manager is one that accepts he got it wrong with a player, drops him and replaces him with someone that can do a better job. It's not as if we are asking for a top defender - we want someone that doesn't lose concentration week in, week out and allows the opposition to score from the simplest of set pieces.

Budget wise he had a decent amount on transfers and certainly in wages. Our signings are one dimensional, we don't seem to look out with England or players that have played under him in the past. Tried and trusted players that do it up here are ignored and go on to do really well for their clubs.

Something went wrong after the semi last year. Energy levels are different, the success we had was through a high tempo pressing game and that has completely gone. The board have a big decision to make and I would imagine he is one more hiding away from getting the boot. He talks about being brave - go out and win at least one of the games against them and show us that braveness and give us some hope.

30 minutes ago, Amato said:

Beating Celtic. Positive regardless of what sort of negative slant you want to try and put on it.

Clearly much improvement needed, Warburton has major flaws that, if he addressed, I'd be happy for him to stay. Doubt he will address them though. Regardless, don't think you can just write off the past season as disastrous.

Why do you all head to straight to Ally when you can't back up your argument. 

TB is spot on, we got until just before December then he got sussed and it was poor from then on in, we got lucky against the worst mhank team in years with the worst manger they've had. 

Everybody goes on and on about knocking them out but never mentions the clusterfuck that was the final. 

41 minutes ago, Amato said:

Scottish cup final, embarrassed, bottled.

16 minutes ago, Mazy74 said:

If he starts Halliday on saturday i will cry tears of despair !

I certainly won't cry..But as soon as he makes his predictable midfield fuck up he can be sure to perhaps hear me shouting.."Taxi for Halliday"..mibee followed by some other words of encouragement and advice..:p: