Pretty much sums it up

jackrfc95

5 hours ago, KWBear said:

re-set button needs pressed to be fair, but I am not buying into the recent shite from Robertson.

Only reason we aren't appointing an interim manager is because we can't afford to get one in. 

Board will be penny pinching until the situation with Warburton is resolved, IMO, and at present it looks as if they are ring-fencing funds to pay off the former management team. 

We really are fucking skint, its fucking embarrassing. 

I don't think folk realise how serious this is. I can't see anything changing in the next 10 years never mind Year or two.

6 hours ago, Courtyard Bear said:

We aren't changing the direction or starting from scratch (usual taig bbc pish) we are simple getting a new driver in to make sure we keep on the right course. 

A DoF will do that with the head coach simply being left to train and organise the first team. 

spot on CB

I read it and the description on the squad was pretty spot on. Good evaluation of what's there and what's missing 

Key positions identified that need strengthened and positions we have too many of the same type of player 

But another Negative article by the bbc about out club.

5 hours ago, Reformation Bear said:

The curtain on the Warburton, Weir and McParland efforts at Rangers has been rung down but the props they brought in - the players who are not delivering and who may not even be capable of delivering at Rangers - have yet to be cleared away.   The football life we had under Warburton this season, and in reality for a fair bit of the latter part of last season, turned out to be a magic hat illusion rather than the reality of building the core of a title-challenging / title-winning side.     Too much emphasis in inputs - training well, preparing well, analysing what went wrong, pitch geography and so on......all of the tranquillizing buzz phrases he used to create the impression that this was true progress.   But nowhere near enough emphasis on leadership and drive and motivation to get games won that should have been won.   Too much of an emphasis on striving, not enough emphasis on achieving and winning.  

Its going to be a very tall order for an incoming DOF and head coach / manager to take the squad, decide who to keep and who to release, decide which new players to bring in (affordable ones of course and that in itself is a whole different story), and then do what King seems to reckon is still required for next season ie (his words from 2nd statement) "......compete for the title and progress in Europe".    

I don't know if the position we have reached is in effect a reset for that would imply a lot of time has been lost and is irrecoverable.   The further implication being that King's season 3 (ie next season) objective  of competing for the title would not then be likely to be credible.  I suppose much depends on 2 things of equal importance. 

The first being who is recruited to the roles of DOF and head coach.   If these are well experienced, seasoned professionals who skills are such that they produce good confidence that they will be winners at Rangers then so much the better.  If its more amateur hour from the Board, signing potential but with little or no track record of actually winning and delivering the goods at a big club then reset and delay would be more likely.   And we'd start to hear yet more messages about needing to be patient and to persevere.  

The second is investment money to acquire better quality players for key positions.   If insufficient, or if spent unwisely then its reset territory and more of the patience, persevere messaging.   

If the Board do not make wise choices for the 2 jobs and do not provide a decent enough investment pot for acquiring better players then imo it would be hard to see how King and the Board would escape the growing wrath of the Support. 

In the meantime there is still the remains of this season to be played out.  And a lot to play for.   If Murty can turn things round and achieve 2nd, maybe even a strong 2nd, then he should be richly applauded for that would be some achievement given his stark lack of management experience and given the intense pressures he will have been under.   If he is not successful in achieving 2nd or even achieving EL football for next season then he should not be blamed.   The blame would be entirely on the shoulders of King and the Board who deliberately elected to put a massively less experienced person in charge as a caretaker than the manager who just left the Club, and for whom King has issued a very public criticism of the manager's lack of experience  Swapping insufficient and ineffective experience for even less even on an interim basis, and still requiring the objective for the season to be met is, imo, strange.   To the point where if it does not work then the only people to blame are King and his fellow Board members.    It's going to be very interesting to see how the rest of this season pans out. 

Well said.

BTW, I still want Kenny Miller as part of the coaching set up. I think he will be a top manager one day.

19 minutes ago, FlashHarryForrester said:

I read it and the description on the squad was pretty spot on. Good evaluation of what's there and what's missing 

Key positions identified that need strengthened and positions we have too many of the same type of player 

But another Negative article by the bbc about out club.

I don't actually think it's that negative, hard to argue with any of it IMO. 

6 minutes ago, jackrfc95 said:

I don't actually think it's that negative, hard to argue with any of it IMO. 

I see your point with regards to the meat of the article. ... But the opening line is this......

. With the departure of Mark Warburton, Rangers have effectively hit the reset button on the club's football operations......how so? Structures there?   Squad is there?    Results Dont show that....

1 minute ago, FlashHarryForrester said:

I see your point with regards to the meat of the article. ... But the opening line is this......

. With the departure of Mark Warburton, Rangers have effectively hit the reset button on the club's football operations......how so? Structures there?   Squad is there?    Results Dont show that....

The youth structures have been getting an overhaul since before Warburton arrived and the squad needs a complete overhaul with the exception for maybe 3 or 4 players. 

I suppose we are in a better place that when Warburton took over but it's a pretty balanced article - especially for the BBC. 

11 hours ago, Courtyard Bear said:

We aren't changing the direction or starting from scratch (usual taig bbc pish) we are simple getting a new driver in to make sure we keep on the right course. 

A DoF will do that with the head coach simply being left to train and organise the first team. 

A DoF is just a waste of a wage. It's a decent manager we need.

11 hours ago, Corky True Legend said:

So does that mean that any Tom, Dick or Harry can be the manager? I would have thought that a decent manager is the way forward.

Having a DoF doesn't automatically mean you employ a shit manager.

As much as a DoF oversees things etc. its still the manager who works with the players everyday, picks the team and is the face of the club.

2 hours ago, jackrfc95 said:

Having a DoF doesn't automatically mean you employ a shit manager.

As much as a DoF oversees things etc. its still the manager who works with the players everyday, picks the team and is the face of the club.

So who decides on which players to go for?

1 hour ago, jackrfc95 said:

I believe they work together when it comes to players coming in but the DoF will have the final say. 

A lot of Hearts January signings were Cathro's choice for example. 

So what manager worth his salt will accept being overruled on players?

3 minutes ago, Corky True Legend said:

So what manager worth his salt will accept being overruled on players?

Frank de Boer has worked under one twice (not that I think we'll get him).

Almost every top English club has a DoF as well so Klopp, Guardiola and Pochettino to name a few.

Its not a revolutionary idea we're planning, numerous clubs around the world have been doing it for years and years.

40 minutes ago, jackrfc95 said:

Frank de Boer has worked under one twice (not that I think we'll get him).

Almost every top English club has a DoF as well so Klopp, Guardiola and Pochettino to name a few.

Its not a revolutionary idea we're planning, numerous clubs around the world have been doing it for years and years.

I could just imagine what Fergie would have said if he had been told he would be under a DoF.

1 minute ago, jackrfc95 said:

Different era's I suppose.

Aye. We were good under Struth, Symon, Advocaat, Souness and Smith. The only reason we are talking about it now is because we are shite (by Rangers' standards). Do you honestly think a DoF is going to have us challenging the mhanks?

8 minutes ago, Corky True Legend said:

Aye. We were good under Struth, Symon, Advocaat, Souness and Smith. The only reason we are talking about it now is because we are shite (by Rangers' standards). Do you honestly think a DoF is going to have us challenging the mhanks?

There's no reason it cant work if it is done correctly and the right people are appointed. I can definitely see why they are taking this approach, whether it works or not remains to be seen.