Bayern Munich v Rangers 1972

That's weird - ive got the day off ans watching this game this morning (2nd leg) on the Barca 72 dvd

Ive seen the goals a hundred times over the years but never the whole match. Two things stuck out - 

Willie Mathieson played at right back that evening - yeh 'wan foot' 

And Dave Smith was brilliant that evening as well as the final. 

5 minutes ago, Deanzmeanzheinz said:

That's weird - ive got the day off ans watching this game this morning (2nd leg) on the Barca 72 dvd

Ive seen the goals a hundred times over the years but never the whole match. Two things stuck out - 

Big Dave was always brilliant, class act, that's how I remember him anyway.

3 minutes ago, Deanzmeanzheinz said:

Wullie Wan Foot took some abuse back then but he was a far better player than so much of the dross we've seen wearing the jersey in recent times. 

You could even compare the much maligned Jim Denny favourably against some of the nonentities we've had to suffer watching.

17 minutes ago, Deanzmeanzheinz said:

What's also weird is I'm just a couple of miles along the road from you in Kirky lol

10 minutes ago, The Ibrox Derry said:

Most of that Bayern side went onto win the European championship that summer of '72, and win the World Cup 2 years later. The rendition of Derry's Walls and We shall not be Moved brings tears to my eyes.

That'll show those young whippersnappers that today's auld yins could sing in their day.:dance:

I wasn't born till years after this, however, my old man raised me on stories of Henderson (his favourite ever player) Johnstone, Stein  etc. Sadly my boy has had to endure the last 5 years lot as his "heroes".

Always fascinates me watching older clips of the famous. I love seeing old Ibrox packed like a giant tin of sardines and hearing the atmosphere. I can only imagine what it was like to be apart of. 

Great find OP, cheers! 

49 minutes ago, Tom0411 said:

Possibly the best atmosphere at Ibrox ever. Also remember Der Kaiser kicking the ball into the enclosure in frustration as he had nobody to pass to. 

Am I getting forgetful in my old age or was that tantrum because a young Derek Parlane wouldnt give hime peace?

Still my favourite game , though I could have sworn that Willie Mathieson played left back that night . Remember Beckenbauer arguing with Sepp Maier that night. Great night with 80,000 in Ibrox. When we scored the second goal after about 25 min I kept wanting the fed to blow for full time , the nerves were shredded by the end of the game 

1 hour ago, Tom0411 said:

Possibly the best atmosphere at Ibrox ever. Also remember Der Kaiser kicking the ball into the enclosure in frustration as he had nobody to pass to. 

I remember Bayern lost the plot that night. 

Through to the final and old Dixie missed his penalty....if Carlsberg did European semi final nights :mutley:

37 minutes ago, onefootwillie said:

Still my favourite game , though I could have sworn that Willie Mathieson played left back that night . Remember Beckenbauer arguing with Sepp Maier that night. Great night with 80,000 in Ibrox. When we scored the second goal after about 25 min I kept wanting the fed to blow for full time , the nerves were shredded by the end of the game 

Still keep trying to find my face in the crowd at the Broomloan end!  Only started to believe we were safe when Bud sat on the ball ...

57 minutes ago, Trooblue said:

Still keep trying to find my face in the crowd at the Broomloan end!  Only started to believe we were safe when Bud sat on the ball ...

I was in the Rangers end towards the main stand . Always where me and my pals went . We always left by the stairs there. Lucky in a lot of respects as I was at the disaster game and left by that staircase rather than stairway 13 

2 hours ago, harlands plater said:

I remember Bayern lost the plot that night. 

Through to the final and old Dixie missed his penalty....if Carlsberg did European semi final nights :mutley:

Yip 2 semi finals on in our great city that night, think there was 70-80,000 at Parkhead for the Inter Milan game, incredible to think that there were 160,000 Rangers and Celtic fans knocking about the city on the same night.

13 hours ago, Trooblue said:

He did that right where we were. My brother used to put me on the wall at the front, then go back and stand with his mates further back. He would come down to collect me at the end of the game. I never realised how big a game that was, in our history, at the time, now thinking back I can't believe how we actually beat them. They had a team full of world class players, and I still expected us to win. I remember my mother saying afterwards that I was the only one that thought we'd win that night. I was the youngest, and maybe that had more to do with it than anything else. Blind faith??

On 8/28/2017 at 5:54 AM, The Ibrox Derry said:

In the first video about half way through you can hear big jock barking instructions to the players lol, in a stadium with 80,000 in ha, I miss the big man, he epitomised everything about being a Ranger for me growing up as a boy.

In all the years that was as noisy as I have ever heard Ibrox, "Barcelona here we come", full pelt for the whole second half.

Big Jock, met him twice, - you speak the truth sir and what you saw was exactly what you got, still recall greetin when he passed and tears do not come easily to me. 

We were tough, disciplined, and methodical. We also had had many players who could hold the ball and play. The balance of the side was amazing and everyone knew their job and backed each other up. We could score in many different ways and our crossing and set plays were deadly at times with our ariel power.  Belief was instilled by Big Jock and he had them thundering at times. Nobody from anywhere liked playing us back then.