Rangers Picture Thread

9 hours ago, Sweetheart said:

image.thumb.png.732f84bfd8bc0bb49541179c736ed14a.png

1904 I'm not having that.

floodlighting was first introduced at Ibrox, in a friendly match against Stenhousemuir

in front of 7,500 fans. The official inauguration came a year later when Arsenal

came North to Ibrox Stadium on December 8th 1953.

In fact is that not Highbury ?

fvd5ed.thumb.jpg.88abb807a64d8efc1317735d20bc02a8b.jpg.7829d944db8ac279a89e83211861d10c.jpg

8 hours ago, Hadron Collider said:
9 hours ago, Callum_Doon said:

c2d33821974eadadbe9f2557430e31d4.jpg

Any idea where that is from?

That was asked on this thread ages ago, only reasonable answer was it's probably from a friendly or testimonial against a junior team

Just now, Callum_Doon said:

You have reminded me of my late Dad remarking, 'See that Dalglish, he's carried celtic on his back for years now. They're no team without him'.

Too small though...?

Aye but just think the same scouts who said Dalglish was too small found us this guy

26632271772_29e91f173b_b.thumb.jpg.9865a04b35ab6d4a6caf0bb49835c1d6b.jpg.9c7a0a62326a52f0d7df4f7b01d40081.jpg

1 hour ago, Callum_Doon said:

Surely has to be something like that. Any clues from the strip what year this might be?

Going by the corner flag colours I'm thinking it might be Albion Rovers away League Cup 1st Round 2nd Leg 1978

Edit more likely a friendly  looking at crowd. Just looked at that pic again can't be that match due to the Rangers strip it's from 1987-90

5 minutes ago, Don54 said:

Going by the corner flag colours I'm thinking it might be Albion Rovers away League Cup 1st Round 2nd Leg 1978

Edit more likely a friendly  looking at crowd

Would that not maybe be typical for Albion Rovers away... Your suggestion just seems to fit.

9 minutes ago, Don54 said:

Have u ever thought it might be photoshopped?

Absolutely! Why would you do that though? However, beginning to conclude that, for whatever purpose, is the explanation.

I always keep this in mind:

'Occam's razor (also Ockham's razor or Ocham's razor; Latin: lex parsimoniae "law of parsimony") is the problem-solving principle that the simplest solution tends to be the right one. When presented with competing hypotheses to solve a problem, one should select the solution with the fewest assumptions'.

1 minute ago, Callum_Doon said:

Absolutely! Why would you do that though? However, beginning to conclude that, for whatever purpose, is the explanation.

I always keep this in mind:

'Occam's razor (also Ockham's razor or Ocham's razor; Latin: lex parsimoniae "law of parsimony") is the problem-solving principle that the simplest solution tends to be the right one. When presented with competing hypotheses to solve a problem, one should select the solution with the fewest assumptions'.

Or as we say in Scotland " Fuck it that'll dae "?

10 hours ago, Callum_Doon said:

Trivia: Name both players?

7573d460496f239ade4e12c90cc29931.jpg

Two slightly built giants for The Rangers ... even though they were relatively slight (or small ) in stature when they joined us as youths.

Must have been because they missed out in previous years with other so called small players they let slip through the net .... :p:

Durrant and Ferguson.

:UK:

4 hours ago, Don54 said:

Aye but just think the same scouts who said Dalglish was too small found us this guy

26632271772_29e91f173b_b.thumb.jpg.9865a04b35ab6d4a6caf0bb49835c1d6b.jpg.9c7a0a62326a52f0d7df4f7b01d40081.jpg

Jim Denny .... I forgot about him ....  he was pretty much the story of the day as far as our scouting was concerned .... not good enough though ... that's why he hardly got a game for the first team in all the time he was with us.

13 minutes ago, Bobby Hume said:

Two slightly built giants for The Rangers ... even though they were relatively slight (or small ) in stature when they joined us as youths.

Must have been because they missed out in previous years with other so called small players they let slip through the net .... :p:

Durrant and Ferguson.

Jim Denny .... I forgot about him ....  he was pretty much the story of the day as far as our scouting was concerned .... not good enough though ... that's why he hardly got a game for the first in all the time he was with us.

Would you be surprised  he played 68 games, mind you not a lot considering he was there for about 9 years

35 minutes ago, Bobby Hume said:

Durrant and Ferguson.

Jim Denny .... I forgot about him ....  he was pretty much the story of the day as far as our scouting was concerned .... not good enough though ... that's why he hardly got a game for the first team in all the time he was with us.

Forgot? 

Your lucky!

In all seriousness, he played for The Rangers. He's the Lucky guy!

39 minutes ago, KingKai said:

Forgot? 

Your lucky!

In all seriousness, he played for The Rangers. He's the Lucky guy!

IIRC, on Pinterest, someone has saved a viewable collection of photographs under the heading, 'Worst Players Ever to Play for Rangers'.

All OK if we agree, let's just no go there... :justno:

Just now, Callum_Doon said:

:lol:

Suppose we missed out on Messi as we then...

:lol:

At that point in time if he had been Scottish probably yes mate .... along with Maradona  ..... I lived through the period and was about the same age then and was only relating what was pretty common knowledge back then ... a time when it seemed like everybody played football at some level or another hoping to be scouted by  Rangers or some other club.

KD  was slight and height wise relatively small ± 5'6" at the time and only developed physically after he signed provisionally for them .... he then obviously continued to develop with Cumbernauld into the less lightweight figure he would have had presented when Rangers had a look at him.

It was in the 60's and many young players with great talent were just not equipped physically to compete at the highest level due to being naturally underdeveloped .... most back then just accepted that it wasn't going to happen for them and pursued other ways of making a living ...  in those days if you were not spotted by the time you were 18 years old ... the chances were you never would .... especially at a club like Rangers where success was demanded as the normal path to follow with no time to lose on waiting for a kid to grow to his full physical potential.

Today's development for youth players is now very much the way to go as transfer prices for developed players continues to rise ... making it a wise decision by clubs to follow this route ... even with this improvement it is rarely we see the likes of a Barry Ferguson rise to first team status without years of attention to physical development to equip him with the strength to compete at the highest level in the game.

We have learned a lot over the years but as we all know ... sometimes we still don't get it and end up making decisions that we wish we could change ... our scouts back then had a policy to follow .... they missed this one ... shit happens.