Mind the gap?

scotty1976

they dont need to bring in loads of players because, as you've said, theyre ahead of us, although the gap has narrowed.

I believe the leaague can we won but i dont think its very likely

Next year, if we bring in Cummings and the other loanees permanently and iron out any wrinkles with some summer signings, then the league is ours for the taking

i understand that bringing in Cummings etc on loan instead of buying them outright was good business for us but at the same time it makes me nervous as theres no guarantee theyll be here next year, but if we can retain the core of our team and improve where needed then we will be in a very strong position

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, billym27 said:

seen the table? https://spfl.co.uk/premiership/table/

i don't think it's as big as they like to make it out to be. we could've been at 1st place if we didn't lose against low table teams. but we've still a way to go. right now we're only as good as aberdeen if not slightly better. once we close the gap a bit more we'll see how they spend their money. we're not skint but we will need investment or consistent good european runs if we want to truly beat them and do well in the champions league.

The league tells a story...

That is, if we'd been as consistent as Aberdeen have against the rest of the league we'd be sitting second, 5 points behind them with a game in hand.  Outside of us and them, they've only dropped eleven points (losing only once...to Motherwell).  

In the same period, aside from games against the sheep and them, we've dropped 21 points...including losses against Hibs, Hamilton, Dundee, St.Johnstone and Kilmarnock.

I said at the start of the season that we need to take care of the rest of the league (as Aberdeen have done) and we'd be in with a shout...league games against them would take care of themselves.

Of course there's still a gap. They've had years to save, play in Europe etc. However, what's happening with us is that we're building momentum. At last the club is stable, we have a manager who is getting the best out of key players (windass for example) and celtic have lost momentum. We are getting close to the point where we can win without having to buy players. Our problem at this time is that we are already 11 (at least) points behind celtic for this season and then a number of our loans either go back or need to be purchased. We then need to at least make it to and through the Europa league qualifying and group stages to make any decent money and attract good players. The first thing we need is consistency. Look at Aberdeen. They are the third best team in Scotland but what they can do is beat all the other teams almost all the time. That's what we have to do. We have to not lose to celtic - ever - and beat everybody else. Once we do win the league, then the tide changes. celtic have definitely slowed and may have a poor summer recruitment and Champion's league qualifier. In which case the gap narrows to the point where we can gain the advantage.

2 hours ago, With Heart and Hand said:

they dont need to bring in loads of players because, as you've said, theyre ahead of us, although the gap has narrowed.

I believe the leaague can we won but i dont think its very likely

Next year, if we bring in Cummings and the other loanees permanently and iron out any wrinkles with some summer signings, then the league is ours for the taking

i understand that bringing in Cummings etc on loan instead of buying them outright was good business for us but at the same time it makes me nervous as theres no guarantee theyll be here next year, but if we can retain the core of our team and improve where needed then we will be in a very strong position

Pretty sure we have first option to buy at an agreed price on those loan deals so if they impress we should be able to purchase those players at whatever the agreed current shared valuation was.