What a difference a game makes

Saudibear

For the last few weeks all you have been reading on the threads on here is that we are so much better, we'll win the league no problem, Boyd will be top scorer. Hutton, Cuellar, Ferguson how good are they ( remember Danny, I was your only slightly negative post). Then after just 1 competitive game in which we won 2-0 all the doom and gloom of last season is back. With threads like Hutton, Boyd 1 more start etc.

Get a grip people. OK it wasn't a good performance, there will be plenty more poor performances, get used to it. I still think the league will be a very close run thing and we will be much improved on last year. Give the team a chance to settle FFS.

No Surrender WATP.

For the last few weeks all you have been reading on the threads on here is that we are so much better, we'll win the league no problem, Boyd will be top scorer. Hutton, Cuellar, Ferguson how good are they ( remember Danny, I was your only slightly negative post). Then after just 1 competitive game in which we won 2-0 all the doom and gloom of last season is back. With threads like Hutton, Boyd 1 more start etc.

Get a grip people. OK it wasn't a good performance, there will be plenty more poor performances, get used to it. I still think the league will be a very close run thing and we will be much improved on last year. Give the team a chance to settle FFS.

No Surrender WATP.

In all honesty I think there are a lot of kids on the forum who only see Rangers wanting to win. They wont accept that sometimes you don't play great. So when it comes to pass they look for an excuse and try to go around sorting out the demise of said villain within the ranks, who dared to under perform.

I missed the second half as I had to go to work. I have heard that although Hutton's sending off was a trifle harsh, he had been let of with a few brash tackles prior to that.

As with Boyd, I fear some people wont be happy until he is running the lrngth and breadth of the pitch, running down every ball, but still managing to score a hat trick in every game.

The real problem on forums like this is that we have too many who cannot see the wood for the trees.

A pre-season 'victory' against Chelsea is hailed as a triumph. It's like the Celtic tour of America when they were humped by all and sundry and the same fans were shouting about how easily we would win the league.

Too many have bought into the insular retreat of Rangers into the mediocrity of the SPL. The wins under Walter have kidded too many that we have a good team. We are now the equivalent of a good Hearts hibs or kilmarnock and that is where our ambitions now lie.

Too m,any make excuses for inept or lazy performances with Boyd the perfect example. Ah but he's a Rangers man. Celtic made that mistake for years with t5he he's not Celtic minded attitude and now we are retreating into the same philosophy.

We are a poor team no matter how many times we hump Chelsea in a pre=season friendly - see the big picture folks !

The real problem on forums like this is that we have too many who cannot see the wood for the trees.

A pre-season 'victory' against Chelsea is hailed as a triumph. It's like the Celtic tour of America when they were humped by all and sundry and the same fans were shouting about how easily we would win the league.

Too many have bought into the insular retreat of Rangers into the mediocrity of the SPL. The wins under Walter have kidded too many that we have a good team. We are now the equivalent of a good Hearts hibs or kilmarnock and that is where our ambitions now lie.

Too m,any make excuses for inept or lazy performances with Boyd the perfect example. Ah but he's a Rangers man. Celtic made that mistake for years with t5he he's not Celtic minded attitude and now we are retreating into the same philosophy.

We are a poor team no matter how many times we hump Chelsea in a pre=season friendly - see the big picture folks !

So after one game of the season you are knowledgable enough to say we aren't a good team??

You must be somer guy, no manager in the world could claim that statistic.

Maybe you should apply for the managers job

So after one game of the season you are knowledgable enough to say we aren't a good team??

You must be somer guy, no manager in the world could claim that statistic.

Maybe you should apply for the managers job

One game ?

I thought WS took over 7 months ago. Have I missed something ?

Couldn't agree more.

It's the first game of the season, and a nerve jangling Champ League Qualifier at that. We played quite poorly and still won 2-0 while down to 10 men. It doesn't matter in these situations how you win, just that you do. With that game out the way I fully expect the performances to pick up over the next few weeks once the team realise they can grind out results. That's something we didn't do very well for the first six months last season.

The only difference between tonight’s game and Saturday's is attitude ... the attitude of our team and the attitude of the opposition..

Couldn't agree more.

It's the first game of the season, and a nerve jangling Champ League Qualifier at that. We played quite poorly and still won 2-0 while down to 10 men. It doesn't matter in these situations how you win, just that you do. With that game out the way I fully expect the performances to pick up over the next few weeks once the team realise they can grind out results. That's something we didn't do very well for the first six months last season.

Correct, how often last season were we 1 up in the last 1/4 of the game playing badly and leaked a goal or 2 to drop points. The main difference between the scum and ourselves last season was that they won games ugly, while we gave away points. I really think our defense this term will win us a lot of points by not leaking goals but don't see a lot of improvement in front of the defense, so don't really expect silky entertaining football.

The only difference between tonight’s game and Saturday's is attitude ... the attitude of our team and the attitude of the opposition..

Absolutely correct!

But how many times, over decades have we seen our team playing low standard opposition, slow the tempo, slow the passing, allow the opposition to settle and frustrate us.

Walter should know that in this type of game pace and width would be needed but set up a team that was lacking this. It is not just the players who should be criticised for last nights performance, but as I have said I have seen this happen so often under a lot of managers since the fifties.

No Surrender WATP.

exactly its our first competitive game and as Walt says you can never compare it to a friendly...we have to let them settle. Everyone was praising Hutton to the hilt and when he has a bad night he gets slammed it happens to every player...the second yellow was very harsh....

incredible isnt it, all of a sudden hutton's useless again after one poor game, when the red card apart he was far from the worst on the pitch.

These games are never easy, as has been shown by a number of threads in recent days reminding us of wobbly ties in the past, very rarely does a team with so many new players hit the ground running competitively.

We won ugly and that is a great attribute to have, and do not be surprised if we have a lot of ugly wins this coming season, but as long as they are wins I wont be complaining too much

Of course...which is why you shouldn't go off on one over a friendly.

We seem to have problems against the smaller teams that defend with 10 men behind the ball, our lack of creativity sticks out when this happens and Barry seems to then to start to drop back making a massive gap between our midfield and forwards, then as we all now the big punts to Boyd happens and he does f**k all with them. Doesnt help when we have no reconised wingers on the pitch.

When we play the bigger teams they allow us to play a bit more.

BUT it was our 1st game of the season and the team are going to be nervous speacially with this 10m stigmata hanging over there heads, we will get better and we have beasley, gow and buffell to come back. It isnt all doom and gloom.

Winning when you dont play well is a sign of champions!!!!

Guest therabbitt

Still early for the side, given time together I think they will come good, Sat will be a good test of character.

Did look affy like the boys were just really nervous, I know its a cliche but early goals (chances taken) would have relaxed us, we were too wound up for the rest of the game and desperation kicked in way too early.

Thought Broadfoot did well when he came on too, considering we were a man down he was always on offer on the right wing

Up and down like feckin' yoyos.

How often did we say pre season means nought.

And we all know its results that count.

My prob last night was our discipline, those cards this early in the tournament can come back and haunt us....

i would be more worried about how easy it was for zeta to walk through our defence.

Through our midfield you mean?

Yea Minstral it was through our midfield, I thought the defence looked solid and nothing really got in behind them. The only thing that troubled us was a couple of stupid free kicks.

i would be more worried about how easy it was for zeta to walk through our defence.

Indeed.

It was extremely disappointing how easy this was for Zeta and it meant we 'lost' 3 yellow cards (Hutton, McCulloch and Cuellar) because of it...

I think last night showed that we can't afford to rely on a central pairing and must go with 3. Ferguson doesn't work hard enough defensively and Hemdani doesn't have the pace when beaten.

Yea Minstral it was through our midfield, I thought the defence looked solid and nothing really got in behind them. The only thing that troubled us was a couple of stupid free kicks.

Have to admit, it was a tad worrying that they were dancing through our midfield. We should give there 10 and 11 (i think it was them) a trial. They were a very young team aswell and very comfortable on the ball, which i was very surprised at.

neither of the 2 in central midfield sat deep. Given the nature of the game was a good idea to start with, but it was obvious as the game went on that we needed one of them to sit deeper and protect the back 4.

Hemdani had obviously been told to make more forward runs, I don't think I have seen him get forward as much in any game.

If we had scored in 10 seconds it would have been a very different game - btw before anyone blames boyd watch it again and see the bobble the ball took as he was about to pull the trigger, i believe that was the difference between hitting the post and hitting the net.

It was an attack minded midfield, which will come as a surprise to many people who view WS as very negative in his tactics, however as the game wore on he perhaps needed to change it to be a bit more defensive to stop them getting through the midfield so easily.

we got the result at the end of the day and that's all that matters

Have to admit, it was a tad worrying that they were dancing through our midfield. We should give there 10 and 11 (i think it was them) a trial. They were a very young team aswell and very comfortable on the ball, which i was very surprised at.

their number 10 looked very lively and always seemed to make things happen when he got on the ball, definately worth a closer look

its my way with words in our days we classied midfield as part of our defence. :pipegreen:

its my way with words in our days we classied midfield as part of our defence. :pipegreen:

Well that's true...in the modern game that applies to the whole team. It was our central midfield who were hopeless last night when it came to protecting our back four. They seemed to walz past them as if they didn't exist. We need to tackle that or we are going to face humiliation somewhere along the line.