Historic first European game against Nice

hawkfalcons

8 minutes ago, eskbankloyal said:

There’s a guy on our bus who was there that night and has been at every European game ever played at Ibrox. 

What a stat. The highs and lows that bears of that age have been through is mental .

8 minutes ago, cr3_bear said:

Wasn’t a European game , was a friendly .  Uefa competitions didn’t start until the mid 50’s . 

Wasn't aware that we had beaten Bayer Leverkusen and drawn Nice in the next round of the Europa league. 

My fault for staying away from all the negativity from all the Covid-19 deaths in the media I suppose...

On 17/07/2020 at 23:45, eskbankloyal said:

There’s a guy on our bus who was there that night and has been at every European game ever played at Ibrox. 

That’s immense record .Respect to that man if true .He will surely be the only one alive that has such an amazing record 

7 hours ago, George McLean said:

It was in 1945 v Moscow Dynamo, 2-2 draw.  And no i wasn't there.

I was just having a laugh mate, knew there was no chance you would've been there. I knew he meant actual UEFA competition's. 

You sure about that year? I was sure it was in the 20's?  1945 seems like a year that would stick in the head for obvious reasons. 

24 minutes ago, Redwhiteandblue said:

I was just having a laugh mate, knew there was no chance you would've been there. I knew he meant actual UEFA competition's. 

You sure about that year? I was sure it was in the 20's?  1945 seems like a year that would stick in the head for obvious reasons. 

Ever heard of google?

On 17/07/2020 at 20:35, hawkfalcons said:

On October 2nd 1956 Rangers played Nice in there first ever competitive match in the European Cup,  winning 2-1 goals by Max Murray and Billy Simpson.  Would settle for that tomorrow :thumbsup:

image.png.d602f188de9dd576a972472b076757ea.png

On 17/07/2020 at 21:43, hawkfalcons said:

Your probably right I think lol 

Sorry but for fuck sake.

11 hours ago, Redwhiteandblue said:

Definitely 1945, game is famous for the Russian side playing 12 men  after substitutions were made. Torry Gillick  pointed out to the ref that they had 12 men on the pitch. A 2-2 draw, Jimmy Smith and George Young with a penalty scoring for us after being 2-0 down at half-time.

a

13 hours ago, George McLean said:

Definitely 1945, game is famous for the Russian side playing 12 men  after substitutions were made. Torry Gillick  pointed out to the ref that they had 12 men on the pitch. A 2-2 draw, Jimmy Smith and George Young with a penalty scoring for us after being 2-0 down at half-time.

a

Aye, I remember reading about it. Was supposed to be a goodwill tour after the war and we were the only team they never beat. 

Just makes  you think with that infamous 12 player shit they tried to pull, did they do it against the English teams and get away with it? Or did they they only pull that stunt when they knew they were in a game?  

I think that theres a small bit of footage from the game at Ibrox on British pathé, almost certain of it infact. 

Archived