Putting teams to the sword early.

Rlm

1 minute ago, RFCRobertson said:

I feel its very defensive tbh, unless david is further forward of course 

Its not needed in scotland, Europe aye but not here, 2 sitters and 4 all pushing forward along with the fullbacks should be plenty enough in scotland, but today we carried two pasengers and none of them were the defensive type players

Our biggest strength in the Gerrard era has been owning the match early and often getting it won early. This has stopped since early December. I hope/hoped it was growth as when we didn't start good we normally lost or drew and this hasn't been the case but we need to get back to it.

46 minutes ago, Moody Blue said:

In a league like ours, no one is ever going to go through a season winning every game in a 38 game season.  However, dropping points to the likes of Motherwell and Hamilton in the last two weeks, when both have been bottom of the league, completely negates winning at the junkies, the sheep and beating them at NY. Can't even blame the 'breaking down teams that sit in' as neither did that in either of those 1-1 games. 

Need a good look at the contributions in the final third. Hagi offered nothing today, Kent doesn't do any damage there and Itten got zero service. Aribo, bar one shot that went close, doesn't take any responsibility despite being in a 3 with two sitting midfielders but Kamara and Zungu did the square root of... 

SG plays around with the team, performances go to shite (like St Mirren cup game) and needs sorted pronto or some pressure will be put on them as an outrageous lead gets eaten away (not that for one minute the mhankies will catch us). 

Drawing at hamilton and motherwell doesnt really negate winning the games against hibs, aberdeen and celtic. Not even nearly. After the new year game we were 10 ahead assuming they won their games in hand. Its now 15. Youre correct about the performance today though and the fact we changed the midfield too much today.

I often feel our middle 3 set the tone and tempo for us.

With Arfield, Davis/Jack we are tenacious and bright in there, and Arfield at least runs beyond.

Today with Zungu, Kamara (who has been excellent all season and compliments the above) and Aribo we were too static, lethargic and just passengers really.

We really need to get the balance right in there it makes such a difference. Aribo much better roaming further up the park.

7 minutes ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

Its not needed in scotland, Europe aye but not here, 2 sitters and 4 all pushing forward along with the fullbacks should be plenty enough in scotland, but today we carried two pasengers and none of them were the defensive type players

Definitely in Europe and not in scotland, which is why i left jack out and would rather davis. 

but your other point I already mentioned befoee 

We got too cocky . 

Leaving , arguably , three first team players on the bench , as well as missing Morelos , was just too much for us . Call it arrogance or whatever  , but we thought we could rest too many players because it was Hamilton . 

Like I said in the match thread , I hope its a lesson learned .

2 hours ago, RFCRobertson said:

End of the day its a result that was due to happen sooner or later with the way we were playing. 

The gaffer needs to stop rotating at this point despite how much sense it made. Strongest 11 no matter what until we are over the line, then we can play about with the squad. 

I agree mate but the fact is, we had our warning from the Motherwell game a couple of weeks back. We all said, the management and players included, that that was the kick up the arse we needed.

And yet, we’ve still proceeded to barely turn up in a number of games, including St, Johnstone and today.  We need a serious change in attitude soon otherwise we’re going to make this run-in much more uncomfortable than it should be.

We need to be out the traps fast against Killie, who’ll have a new manager (and the bounce it creates) by then but, honestly, I’m not holding my breath. Hope I’m wrong!

1 minute ago, BearInTheToon said:

I agree mate but the fact is, we had our warning from the Motherwell game a couple of weeks back. We all said, the management and players included, that that was the kick up the arse we needed.

And yet, we’ve still proceeded to barely turn up in a number of games, including St, Johnstone and today.  We need a serious change in attitude soon otherwise we’re going to make this run-in much more uncomfortable than it should be.

We need to be out the traps fast against Killie, who’ll have a new manager (and the bounce it creates) by then but, honestly, I’m not holding my breath. Hope I’m wrong!

The warning signs have been there since roughly the dundee utd game 1-2, since then the team were apparently happy showing up and getting just the 3 points which is fine and all but then you get teas thatll fit tooth and nail

which is why we need performances like against ross county 

Yep, people on here and in the general support base are accusing others of being panic merchants. But the fact is, we’ve not been at it much at all recently and we DO have previous for going off the boil and dropping lots of points back-to-back.

Truth is, if we don’t seriously improve our attitude going into matches pronto, I wouldn’t be surprised to see us draw a number of more games. And then it gets unnecessarily uncomfortable.

Today should’ve been a stick-on 3 points and instead, we were woeful and drew. Allied to lots of sluggish displays recently, that is rightfully concerning.

8 hours ago, BearInTheToon said:

Yep, people on here and in the general support base are accusing others of being panic merchants. But the fact is, we’ve not been at it much at all recently and we DO have previous for going off the boil and dropping lots of points back-to-back.

Truth is, if we don’t seriously improve our attitude going into matches pronto, I wouldn’t be surprised to see us draw a number of more games. And then it gets unnecessarily uncomfortable.

Today should’ve been a stick-on 3 points and instead, we were woeful and drew. Allied to lots of sluggish displays recently, that is rightfully concerning.

We haven’t dropped points back to back once this season.

10 hours ago, RFCRobertson said:

Mcgregor

Tav Goldson Helander Barasic

Davis Aribo Kamara

Hagi Morelos Kent

I know we couldnt field this team today with Morelos being out but from the get go I think we should be using davis, Aribo and kamara to really link the midfield to the forwards and put pressure on teams to get early goals. 

then when games open up you can have Jack on for davis who can help protect the defence further and you still have aribo and kamara to link play. 

Regardless of strongest team however is the players just dont seem to be preforming. They still dont seem to realise that teams (especial those facing relegation) will fight tooth and claw and then some to get some kind of result. 

We have done it again and again, underestimated teams and presumed we'd get a result, we did it last year with hearts and dundee and we did it this year with st mirren, motherwell and accies today. 

Team needs to waken up and realise this league isnt over and with celtic building a run we can rely on teams taking points (as likely as that may be). The gaffer needs to put out the best possible team on the day, the boys can rest when the league is wrapped up. 

Celtic chaining 3 wins together and us dropping points may make them cock a eyebrow and think they could pull something off. 

You can not have a strongest 11 that does not include Arfield and Roofe yet include Aribo :lol: 

7 hours ago, folkestoneger said:

We haven’t dropped points back to back once this season.

I wasn’t talking about this season. I was saying, historically, January and particularly February are the months that we’ve dropped a load of points in. 

Point being, unless our performance levels increase considerably, starting Saturday, we leave ourselves open to the same concerns as the last two seasons.

16 hours ago, BearInTheToon said:

Not every team who appoints a new manager gets a 'bounce' off it.

3 minutes ago, BearInTheToon said:

That’s absolutely true. Unfortunately, of late, we seem to be coming up against that have had exactly that. And I have a feeling Saturday will be the same.

Better hope super dooper celtic don't notice this and sack Lennon on the eve of the old firm game.

19 hours ago, RFCRobertson said:

Mcgregor

Tav Goldson Helander Barasic

Davis Aribo Kamara

Hagi Morelos Kent

I know we couldnt field this team today with Morelos being out but from the get go I think we should be using davis, Aribo and kamara to really link the midfield to the forwards and put pressure on teams to get early goals. 

then when games open up you can have Jack on for davis who can help protect the defence further and you still have aribo and kamara to link play. 

Regardless of strongest team however is the players just dont seem to be preforming. They still dont seem to realise that teams (especial those facing relegation) will fight tooth and claw and then some to get some kind of result. 

We have done it again and again, underestimated teams and presumed we'd get a result, we did it last year with hearts and dundee and we did it this year with st mirren, motherwell and accies today. 

Team needs to waken up and realise this league isnt over and with celtic building a run we can rely on teams taking points (as likely as that may be). The gaffer needs to put out the best possible team on the day, the boys can rest when the league is wrapped up. 

celtic chaining 3 wins together and us dropping points may make them cock a eyebrow and think they could pull something off. 

They've won 3 games from 8 since the turn of the year....tell us again how they are 'building a run' :confused:

Just now, Sket said:

They've won 3 games from 8 since the turn of the year....tell us again how they are 'building a run' :confused:

Just recently more so, 2 wins admitedly against poor sides and the last one should've been a draw

but little things like that can add up and give them confidence. Hopefully it'll be a return to form against st mirren and they drop points again. But there is little positives they can take from this past week. 

Just need to be careful is all. Dont want any momentum changing and the last strech to be any more stressful than what is. It's why Id advocate for strongest side possible and to put games to bed early. The boys can rest when the league is secured till then i want them playing like every game is their last or a cup final 

1 hour ago, RFCRobertson said:

Just recently more so, 2 wins admitedly against poor sides and the last one should've been a draw

but little things like that can add up and give them confidence. Hopefully it'll be a return to form against st mirren and they drop points again. But there is little positives they can take from this past week. 

Just need to be careful is all. Dont want any momentum changing and the last strech to be any more stressful than what is. It's why Id advocate for strongest side possible and to put games to bed early. The boys can rest when the league is secured till then i want them playing like every game is their last or a cup final 

We’re all nervous mate. It’s the anticipation that’s getting to a lot of us. 

87510997-5D31-47BC-8A55-52DBAC6A1DA0.gif

Archived