General Transfer Talk

Broxi

1 minute ago, 6superbarry6 said:

Same, I’m no sure how it works maybe need to be at club certain amount of time to qualify. 

Can’t remember the exact number but think it’s something like they have to have been at the club (or club(s) in the country for the home grown) for at least 3 years before their 21st birthday.

For context. This season was probably about as bad as it can get for injuries. And we still only used 21 players (22 if you include Lowry’s 6 minutes). And we only used 15 out of our 17 limit for non home qualified. 

2 minutes ago, OrangeRab said:

We will have 17 + McCrorie, Jack, Souttar, Lowry, Devine, King

That’s a squad of 23 fit players.

Sure you might get 3-4 injuries but that’s still plenty.

Just because you can have 25 players doesn’t mean you need to. Don’t see why we would waste money on some qualified players we have no intention of playing

I think you're really underestimating the number of players a squad needs. 

We had a larger European squad this season than you're suggesting for next and we still ended up relying on the likes of Sands at centre back. 

You're also including players like Lowry and Devine who the coaching staff have made clear they don't think are good enough, hence why they never play, even now the season is over. 

Also no ones saying to sign Scottish players who never play, they're saying to sign Scottish players who are good enough to play. 

6 minutes ago, OrangeRab said:

We will have 17 + McCrorie, Jack, Souttar, Lowry, Devine, King

That’s a squad of 23 fit players.

Sure you might get 3-4 injuries but that’s still plenty.

Just because you can have 25 players doesn’t mean you need to. Don’t see why we would waste money on some qualified players we have no intention of playing

Lowry, devine and king? Absolutely nowhere near ready for european football, so while its 23 fit players, its actually 20 capable players, then out of the 20, 3 will be keepers, so thats only 17 players in a euro squad to cover all positions, and the fact that jack is a physios dream, souttar is a stubbed toe away from 6 months out and roofe likely dislocated a finger or 4 tonight when he clapped the leaving players, that 17 could easily be down to 14 at any point

All of a sudden that 23 fit players doesnt look so good now

2 minutes ago, OrangeRab said:

The rules are you can have 17 non home qualified players. 

You don’t get punished (as far as I’m aware) for not having 8.

The rule is 17 plus you can have a maximum of 8 home grown.

So what’s the point in the club signing quota players just to make up numbers if they have no intention of playing them.

A squad of 17 plus Souttar, Jack, Devine, King, McCrorie, Lowry is fine tbh. 

I don’t see why would need more than 23 players to chose from. You can pad it out with 2 more youngsters just in case

Sorry you are right, its 17 not 18.

For me that is still very light. If we are willing to deprioritise Europe then fine, but 

1. Butland / Replacement

2. Tav

3. Sterling 

4. Goldson

5. Davies / Replacement

6. Barasic / Replacement

7. Ridvan

8. Lundstrum

9. Cantwell

10. Dowell

11. Cifuentes

12. Raskin

13. Matondo

14. Sakala

15. Colak 

16. Lawrence

17. Kent Replacement

18. Morelos Replacement

Under your plan, we have to deregister one of the above positions just to meet the criteria. We need about 3 new attackers for next season never mind actually reducing the options we have for Europe.

I would sell Colak and replace with Nisbet for a start which instantly gives is a stronger squad.

3 minutes ago, OrangeRab said:

For context. This season was probably about as bad as it can get for injuries. And we still only used 21 players (22 if you include Lowry’s 6 minutes). And we only used 15 out of our 17 limit for non home qualified. 

And how did we get on again? 

Just now, OrangeRab said:

Yeah but the issue on the flip side is say Beale wants a squad of around 25 (2 players for each position a third goalie and a couple covering multiple positions) but we can only register 20 of them for Europe. You are potentially going to have 5 pretty pissed of players who didn’t make the European squad.

Getting heavy Championship Manager flashbacks in this thread 😂 

2 minutes ago, rossco87 said:

Can’t remember the exact number but think it’s something like they have to have been at the club (or club(s) in the country for the home grown) for at least 3 years before their 21st birthday.

Think that’s to qualify as homegrown think the B list is different though we had Charlie McCann on B list before and he never met that criteria I’m sure. 

5 minutes ago, OrangeRab said:

We used every registered player who was fit excluding backup goalkeepers. 

We ended up having to play Sands at centre back and 2 youth players in King and Devine because we ran out of players. 

1 minute ago, Somemightsay7 said:

I think you're really underestimating the number of players a squad needs. 

We had a larger European squad this season than you're suggesting for next and we still ended up relying on the likes of Sands at centre back. 

You're also including players like Lowry and Devine who the coaching staff have made clear they don't think are good enough, hence why they never play, even now the season is over. 

Also no ones saying to sign Scottish players who never play, they're saying to sign Scottish players who are good enough to play. 

But we didn’t even use our full quota of 17? Sure Sands is shite but that’s not even an argument for more domestic players? That just says the 17 non qualified aren’t good enough.

Between the 17+McCrorie, Jack, Souttar that’s 20. Before you consider Lowry, Devine and King.

1 minute ago, mitre_mouldmaster said:

Has to be with us for 2 years before he can be listed. Only came from Motherwell last year.

Thought that must’ve been the case, suppose it stops all the big clubs just hovering up all the best young players to get around homegrown rules. 

2 minutes ago, rossco87 said:

Yeah but the issue on the flip side is say Beale wants a squad of around 25 (2 players for each position a third goalie and a couple covering multiple positions) but we can only register 20 of them for Europe. You are potentially going to have 5 pretty pissed of players who didn’t make the European squad.

Getting heavy Championship Manager flashbacks in this thread 😂 

Does Beale want a squad of 25. Pretty sure all the chat has been about how bloated our squad is

5 minutes ago, OrangeRab said:

But we didn’t even use our full quota of 17? Sure Sands is shite but that’s not even an argument for more domestic players? That just says the 17 non qualified aren’t good enough.

Between the 17+McCrorie, Jack, Souttar that’s 20. Before you consider Lowry, Devine and King.

Yes we did. Every single player who was registered and fit played. 

We literally ran out of players. We had to bring in King and Devine from the youth. 

We had players registered domestically we weren't able to register in Europe. 

25 minutes ago, mitre_mouldmaster said:

To put it in perspective, as it stands we will be losing 3 domestic trained players this summer verses last summer.

That means our Euro squad will be 3 places smaller this summer than last if we dont sign replacements.

Think of how shit our European line-ups were this year.

And the way to improve that is to sign a pile of shit SPFL players who would hardly have got a game for us seven years ago under Mark Warburton? :confused:

Just now, 6superbarry6 said:

Thought that must’ve been the case, suppose it stops all the big clubs just hovering up all the best young players to get around homegrown rules. 

Just to be clear, im basing my knowledge of this particular rule on Football Manager! :lol:

I did however in depth study the 'Club Trained' rules to win an argument with @The Dude last year on Billy Gilmour's chances of qualifying as club trained if we signed him the day the transfer window opened.

19 minutes ago, 6superbarry6 said:

Think that’s to qualify as homegrown think the B list is different though we had Charlie McCann on B list before and he never met that criteria I’m sure. 

I might be wrong but think he would have been in because he was U21?

The squad needs:

4 players registered that have trained at the club for 3 years before 21st birthday

4 players registered that have trained in the country for 3 years before 21st birthday (that can include at the club if for have 5/6/7/8 qualifying club players)

(Edit) 2 goalkeepers

Players under 21 don’t need to be registered (edit) if they have been at the club for 2 or more years

1 minute ago, rossco87 said:

The squad needs:

4 players registered that have trained at the club for 3 years before 21st birthday

4 players registered that have trained in the country for 3 years before 21st birthday (that can include at the club if for have 5/6/7/8 qualifying club players)

(I think) 3 goalkeepers

Players under 21 don’t need to be registered

Aye under 21’s don’t need to be registered and can go on the B list, that’s why was wondering why Bailey Rice isn’t eligible it must be to do with time at club. 

The squad needs:

(I think) 3 goalkeepers

Players under 21 don’t need to be registered

Players u21 don't need to be registered only if they have been at the club for 2 years iirc. 

So we can't just buy a 20 year old and then not need to register them. 

5 minutes ago, BlueSuedeSambas said:

And the way to improve that is to sign a pile of shit SPFL players who would hardly have got a game for us seven years ago under Mark Warburton? :confused:

No, its to improve the quality of our squad options and upgrade the first team players we have by making space in the squad for them.

Look at the list I provided above. That already has too many occupied spaces and we have to drop one.

That squad is weak and we have to bolster it.

I would far rather replace Colak with Nisbet and then backfill both Kent and Morelos's spaces rather than deciding to just go without backfilling one of them.

4 minutes ago, OrangeRab said:

Does Beale want a squad of 25. Pretty sure all the chat has been about how bloated our squad is

Squad is way above 25 at the moment. I doubt he is going to want to run with much lighter than 24/25 and more realistically it will be higher than 25 with the additional spaces being from the academy.

13 minutes ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

And how did we get on again? 

Shite because our players are shite. Man City submitted a squad of 21. How are they getting on again?

If you have 17 good and fit players along with Jack, Souttar and McCrorie. And you have your Lowry, Devine and King back ups.

That’s absolutely fine. It’s a nonsense to go out and sign shite spl dross to pad up numbers that aren’t going to feature just to hit some meaningless 25 number for 6 games

Squad is way above 25 at the moment. I doubt he is going to want to run with much lighter than 24/25 and more realistically it will be higher than 25 with the additional spaces being from the academy.

We have loads of players like Roofe, Helander, Hagi etc who I did not include on the euro squad as there was no space and they are lower down the order.

Just now, OrangeRab said:

Shite because our players are shite. Man City submitted a squad of 21. How are they getting on again?

If you have 17 good and fit players along with Jack, Souttar and McCrorie. And you have your Lowry, Devine and King back ups.

That’s absolutely fine. It’s a nonsense to go out and sign shite spl dross to pad up numbers that aren’t going to feature just to hit some magical 25 number for 6 games

Man City shitting their pants at the prospect of going up against a front two of Nisbet and Shankland next season IMO.