Rugby world cup 2023

KingKirk

4 hours ago, McEwan's Lager said:

Granted I haven't seen a lot, but this is the poorest WC I think I can remember. 

At least we have a final between two evenly matched sides who are the best Rugby playing nations of all time.

The South Africans and Kiwis are never bad, but I don't think either are all time great sides at the moment. 

The Aussies are about as bad as they've ever been.

The Argies are what they are, but better Argentine sides have came to world cups.

This is a good Ireland team, but a good Ireland team are what they are. They'll never be head and shoulders above other good teams.

Scotland and France are also good just now, but again a good Scotland team is probably only ever got an outside chance. France more so of a chance, but again.

England and Wales are not that good just now.

Then you've the Italians, Japs, and the Pacific Islanders, etc. Decent teams but nothing more than that. Pulling off a shock result in a group game is about all they'll ever do.

Everyone else is decidedly third tier.

I do agree - I think this world cup has lacked a bit of depth of quality and as a result has been a fairly open tournament.

5 hours ago, McEwan's Lager said:

Granted I haven't seen a lot, but this is the poorest WC I think I can remember. 

At least we have a final between two evenly matched sides who are the best Rugby playing nations of all time.

Don’t think the lopsided draw has helped tbh. All the bigger matches very early on. Quarter final weekend was brilliant 

22 hours ago, dummiesoot said:

They are increasing the next World Cup to 24 teams, think that is a huge mistake, will be record drubbings handed out

They need to get the second tier nations playing more. Countries like Fiji and Japan need regular top class games if they are to improve

11 hours ago, Badger said:

They need to get the second tier nations playing more. Countries like Fiji and Japan need regular top class games if they are to improve

They do, this change to the summer n autumn windows might help change things up

7 minutes ago, AdzKyle said:

Ffs. That’s soft. Nearly every game we’re getting a red now. Ruining the game. 

Just what I was coming on to say. They have went way over the top with this red card shit. The guy being tackled was bending over not at full height. It’s  not like he deliberately forearm smashed him.

7 minutes ago, folkestoneger said:

Just what I was coming on to say. They have went way over the top with this red card shit. The guy being tackled was bending over not at full height. It’s  not like he deliberately forearm smashed him.

It's just daft how they have set the rules and guidelines now. 

Rugby is a full on contact sport and in the professional era players are bigger and heavier than ever. Because of that and the focus around concussion they have gone overboard on accidental collisions that you are always going to get.

They may as well outlaw ducking while carrying the ball too as that would make the game safer...

2 minutes ago, McEwan's Lager said:

It's just daft how they have set the rules and guidelines now. 

Rugby is a full on contact sport and in the professional era players are bigger and heavier than ever. Because of that and the focus around concussion they have gone overboard on accidental collisions that you are always going to get.

They may as well outlaw ducking while carrying the ball too as that would make the game safer...

They should start with the view that anything less than deliberate violence is a yellow. A lot of things that are yellow now should just be a warning. 
I would like to bet that scrums have caused far more serious injuries than tackles yet we still have that.