The Scotsman's take on the story

CanadianGer

copyed this off it too

Smith clear favourite in absence of ready rivals

GLENN GIBBONS

(ggibbons@scotsman.com)

THE recently-knighted Sir David Murray has good reason to consider that his medieval predecessors, charged with locating the Holy Grail, faced a mission that was only marginally more devilish than the search for the next manager of Rangers.

The Ibrox chairman has had to confront this assignment too often through the course of the past decade, each succeeding hunt more difficult than the last, and each taking its toll on his enthusiasm for the chase.

The sudden departure of Paul Le Guen yesterday recalls the harrowing experience of Murray in the 1997-98 season, when the termination of Walter Smith's seven years in office triggered the tortuous process - months of identifying, pursuing, courting and negotiating - that led to the appointment of Dick Advocaat.

At the time, his relief at finally reaching a successful conclusion was accompanied by the wish not to have to undertake such an exacting exercise in the future. Since then, of course, Advocaat and Alex McLeish have both fallen from favour, with Murray's wooing of Le Guen through last winter and spring even more taxing than the business with the little Dutchman nine years ago.

Remarkably, all of the chairman's four previous managers - including the first of them, Graeme Souness - were given a place on bookmakers' betting lists yesterday. Smith, unsurprisingly, was perched at the top, at odds that, as a result of unrelenting pressure from clamouring punters yesterday contracted from 5-2 against to 9-4 on.

Smith is an obvious favourite, but his presence at the head of the market and at such a prohibitive price tends to betray the shortage of credible contenders, the substantial number of runners in the race concealing the reality of the weakness of the candidature of the majority.

With six league championships, three Scottish Cups and three League Cups, Smith has a Rangers pedigree second to none since the sacking of Scot Symon 40 years ago. He remains popular with many Rangers supporters and, with 18 months left on his present contract as Scotland manager, compensation to the SFA would not be prohibitive.

But to re-engage Smith - or Souness, Advocaat or McLeish - would be to test once again the strength of a maxim that has proved its power throughout the history of the game. It is that managers and players returning to the scene of former glories very rarely achieve a re-enactment.

Rangers' only previous flirtation with this well-established dictum resulted in ignominy, the late Jock Wallace's return after a five-year absence in 1983 ending with his dismissal - and Souness' appointment - three years later, his second tour having yielded just two League Cup triumphs.

There is, of course, the near-certainty that Murray has long since written off the current campaign in terms of honours and that he will view Smith as a steadying hand. The manager has, after all, wrought remarkable improvement in a national team that had been floundering under Berti Vogts.

But the most punitive legacy of Le Guen's abortive seven months is almost an entire squad of sub-standard players. With extremely limited funds with which to strengthen, Smith would face the daunting - and possibly discouraging - prospect of starting with Rangers where he started with Scotland two years ago. As a lifelong Ibrox fan, however, there is every likelihood that he would accept - indeed, probably even relish - the challenge.

It was proposed by some yesterday that Smith could be persuaded to do both the club and the international jobs, the latter widely perceived as one that could be tackled on a part-time basis. In the unlikely event of his giving that arrangement so much as a moment's thought, it would be dispelled by the quickest of consultations with his great friend, Sir Alex Ferguson.

Following the death of Jock Stein in September, 1985, Ferguson, the big man's assistant with the national team, agreed to manage both Aberdeen and Scotland, to see the latter through the World Cup finals in Mexico the following summer. It was a decision he has never stopped regretting.

Ferguson remains convinced that it was the worst decision of his career and that both his club and his country suffered as a consequence of his energy and concentration being divided. It should be emphasised, too, that Ferguson was 43 when he assumed a dual role he subsequently found to be too demanding. With Smith's 59th birthday due next month, it is highly improbable that he would even consider such a chore.

Smith's "rivals" for the Rangers job include Ally McCoist, another who was well supported in betting shops yesterday. But, if Murray is aware of the difficulties encountered by Wallace on his return 24 years ago, he will also be acquainted with the failure of his predecessor, John Greig, to cope with the enormity of the Ibrox job - his first managerial appointment - through the previous five years.

McCoist is similarly handicapped, although, as a coach with Smith at the SFA, it is possible that he could also become a member of his staff at Rangers and, eventually, succeed him.

The most immediate advantage to Murray of sending for his former manager would be to spare himself another ordeal of combing the higher echelons of football throughout Europe for the man with the credentials, and the willingness, required for a monumental assignment.

His experiences with Advocaat and Le Guen - the former initially successful, but financially profligate and, like the Frenchman, short-lived - may have lowered his previous esteem for foreign coaches.

In Smith, Murray would have a Scot with almost impeccable references - his final, barren season at Ibrox the one blemish - and matchless understanding of the nuances of a demanding position. A glance at the others on the bookmakers' list, from McCoist through Billy Davies, Terry Butcher and George Burley to the surely frivolous Sven-Goran Eriksson and Craig Brown, is enough to convince that Walter is effectively without a serious challenge.

While I'm happy with the Walter/Ally combo I would have gone for Davies as a standalone boss so to speak.

Or even Eck as Director of Football to help ease in a new boss.

Na not Eck, been there done it and was time to move on.

While I'm happy with the Walter/Ally combo I would have gone for Davies as a standalone boss so to speak.

To be fair thats also a strong argument against Smith.

To be fair thats also a strong argument against Smith.

Slightly different tho. More chance of Smith being back at Ibrox than there does of Eck.

A very good article which underlines the concerns many Bears have about what appears to be in some quarters the "confirmed" choice.

Two of my all time heroes failed in these circumstances....Jock Wallace on his return for a second time and John Greig when he took the managers role with no experience.

I think Rangers are far too big a club to have an untested manager at the helm irrespective of how big a name he was for the club.

A very good article which underlines the concerns many Bears have about what appears to be in some quarters the "confirmed" choice.

Two of my all time heroes failed in these circumstances....Jock Wallace on his return for a second time and John Greig when he took the managers role with no experience.

I think Rangers are far too big a club to have an untested manager at the helm irrespective of how big a name he was for the club.

I agree, it will be hard for Ally and the expectation level on Walter will be unbearable.

I would go for a new management team, but who ever comes in will be better than Le Guen(hopefully)

Eck is no Walter. Still believe it can't be WS. Ally with WS as 'advisor'. Has to be.

I have to agree with that one.

Was thinking about it, and, although McCoist has no experience in management, he has been around the Scotland squad, and, correct me if i am wrong, but wasnt it Souness's first management job when he arrived? That didnt work out too bad