The Buffel enigma

Danny

Have any recent players bar maybe Kris Boyd split the support in quite the way this little Belgian has?

Signed in January 2005 from Feyenoord for £2.2M, few of us had heard of this chap. All we knew was he'd been frozen out of Gullit's side for failing to agree terms and sign a new deal.

Manager of the time Alex McLeish obviously felt a young Belgian internationalist known for a distinctly creative spark playing as a front man supporting the strikers was a very wise acquisition to make, and could go some way to filling for the loss of de Boer in that position.

Indeed, the diminuitive player had a massive role to play in the clinching of title #51, despite playing through the pain barrier, and even slotted in Novo for the goal which won that title.

He has also had numerous defining moments in a Rangers jersey, especially one of the best passes ever seen at Ibrox when he fed Lovenkrands through with a eye of the needle pass.

However, slowly he started to lose favour and experienced himself being played out of his natural position behind the strikers, placed as he was on the left wing. Despite still being in pain though, he kept at it and continued to provide regular moments of class.

However, there has been a regular school of supporters who simply do not rate the player, and/or also believe he has talent but wastes it.

However, after a long term injury he is finally back, and after the side's recent domestic slump, his creative edge is something we are surely crying out for.

It will be very interesting to see just how Buffel gets on should he start to get a regular run of games.

I have always been somewhat frustrated by Thomas because he has an undoubted talent, but does not possess that natural talent of the greats to play anywhere on the park. In other words, he is only ever effective if played in his correct position - which seems to be a free role working with, or just off a main striker. He has certainly shown an inability to play on the right wing, left wing, or indeed any of the flanks of a midfield.

It does seem that Rangers current ploy of playing a solid 3/4 man midfield should cater for Thomas to fill at least one of the remaining 2/3 attacking slots and could as you say provide the creative spark that has at times been brutally conspicuous by its absence so far this season. If there is a need to link from midfield to front, he could be the man to provide it, but with so many false dawns so far I will not hold my breath.

Danny, your staunch defence of him is curious as I have never been able to figure out if you recognise how poor he has been or if you believe he has suffered only because he has been played out of position, through injury or with inferior players. I'm interested because as you say, he has split a support who have recognised a talent that has not flourished.

evens

The end for me came in PLGs first set of matches when he was played pretty much up front and he had chance after chance after chance that he missed. He is a footballer, of that there is no doubt, however I cannot understand why he gets so much backing, moreso than the likes of Boyd who has provided tenfold more to the teams results over the period. The fact remains, nearly three years on, we are still waiting on a return for what was a hefty fee at the time.

The end for me came in PLGs first set of matches when he was played pretty much up front and he had chance after chance after chance that he missed. He is a footballer, of that there is no doubt, however I cannot understand why he gets so much backing, moreso than the likes of Boyd who has provided tenfold more to the teams results over the period. The fact remains, nearly three years on, we are still waiting on a return for what was a hefty fee at the time.

It's bold to say but there might be some people who would argue that providing the assists for two goals that ultimately gave us two of the best moments in the history of the club is enough to justify his fee.

It's bold to say but there might be some people who would argue that providing the assists for two goals that ultimately gave us two of the best moments in the history of the club is enough to justify his fee.

Too bold - two assists and many missed chances. Thank feck for the two assists. His overall contribution has been poor in relation to his talent and that is why so many of us gave up on him. As did two managers he drove crazy.

If he is now fully fit and "bulked up" I would still give him another chance, but like another poster said , I am not holding my breath.

Buffel has had his chance as far as i'm concerned. He comes out in the papers every other week it seems with the same story of how he will be back better than ever tc. He owes us big time, if we were operating a normal business then we would have cut our losses a long time ago and shipped him out the door. Another nice touch that he gave to Rangers was his alleged mega bucks move to go to Hannover. He did us a huge favour by staying put and going for surgery. Thanks Thomas. Offski in January i hope.

Also, as others have said, there is no doubt that the talent is there but if he has an empty heart the talent isn't worth a monkeys.

It will be interesting to see how Buffel reacts when/if he is given another chance, we complain about him missing goals but technicaly he isn't a striker.

I think he should be given one more chance and playing behind a player like Cousin or JCS, hell even if McCulloch plays up front he might start to show the ability and talent which we know he does have.

If he plays against Celtic and either sets up or scores the winning goal I wonder if he'll be forgiven? :rolleyes:

Time will tell.

My opinion is that Buffel is a class act. But its players like him and also de Boer at the time that when we werent performing well, they are the first ones to get it in the neck because they are silky skillful players. They get accused of not tackling enough, not hammering into challenges are their workrate is below par. IMO thats nonsense, Buffel is not the type of player that some fans want him to be. He is NEVER going to be a hardworking powerhouse that drives the team on, he is rarely going to crash through the opposing players with thunderous tackles. In fact, he is more likely to crap out of them. But what he will give you is creation, flair,skill and goals. He is one of those players that can recieve the ball out on the touchline and play a great pass into the foot of the striker to score. When he is on the pitch you can expect things to happen when he is on the ball.

He has scored more than his fair share of important goals as well.. but as you say Danny, there is always going to be fans that dislike him due to his style. Lets see what Buffel does when he returns.

For what its worth, i dont think he should be involved v Celtic, as i said the other day.. if he doesnt look 100% fit and we struggle, he will yet again get it in the neck, so he should be left out of this game IMO

Good post Danny (tu)

My opinion is that Buffel is a class act. But its players like him and also de Boer at the time that when we werent performing well, they are the first ones to get it in the neck because they are silky skillful players. They get accused of not tackling enough, not hammering into challenges are their workrate is below par. IMO thats nonsense, Buffel is not the type of player that some fans want him to be. He is NEVER going to be a hardworking powerhouse that drives the team on, he is rarely going to crash through the opposing players with thunderous tackles. In fact, he is more likely to crap out of them. But what he will give you is creation, flair,skill and goals. He is one of those players that can recieve the ball out on the touchline and play a great pass into the foot of the striker to score. When he is on the pitch you can expect things to happen when he is on the ball.

He has scored more than his fair share of important goals as well.. but as you say Danny, there is always going to be fans that dislike him due to his style. Lets see what Buffel does when he returns.

For what its worth, i dont think he should be involved v Celtic, as i said the other day.. if he doesnt look 100% fit and we struggle, he will yet again get it in the neck, so he should be left out of this game IMO

Good post Danny (tu)

That is a damn fine post mate, and, the highlighted part is quite topical, and significant (I feel the urge to use big words more often now I am a writer haha)

What we seem to do, as fans, is ignore the positive aspects of some of our players, and ocus on what they cant or dont do!

The is quite a simple solution to a couple of our main problems...

Buffell is very creative, cant hit a barn door... put Boyd in front of him and tell him to give it Kris near the box

Boyd doesnt do enough, poor hold up play blah blah - put Buffell BEHIND him and let him do that!

Rangers dont have a natural "in the hole" player - yes we do, Buffell!

Creative link between striker/s midfield? - starter for 10

Seriously folks, Buffell creates, Boyd scores.... am I the only one that sees that

I have also noticed, if we get ANY player with technique and a bit of pace, regardless of their NATURAL POSITION, we play them wide? why?

Lovenkraands, Buffell, Novo... it goes on and on

Good post Danny (tu)

That is a damn fine post mate, and, the highlighted part is quite topical, and significant (I feel the urge to use big words more often now I am a writer haha)

What we seem to do, as fans, is ignore the positive aspects of some of our players, and ocus on what they cant or dont do!

Buffell is very creative, cant hit a barn door... put Boyd in front of him and tell him to give it Kris near the box

Boyd doesnt do enough, poor hold up play blah blah - put Buffell BEHIND him and let him do that!

Seriously folks, Buffell creates, Boyd scores.... am I the only one that sees that

I have also noticed, if we get ANY player with technique and a bit of pace, regardless of their NATURAL POSITION, we play them wide? why?

Perhaps the reason for this is that all of the players you mention are on the small side or small and not considered big/strong enough to lead from/through the centre.

Can i also ask a question to the doubters. The main arguement against Buffel , as was pointed out earlier, is that most people agree he has the talent, but doesnt do it enough, correct?

My question is.. what doesnt he do 'enough' of? Anytime i see Buffel play, he gives exactly what i expect of him, quick passing, sharp movement, bursts of pace, and goals. Of course now and again he has an off game, as does everyone. Christ its ever other week that the best midfielder in Scotland (IMO Of course) Barry Ferguson gets accused of having a bad game or whatever, even our best signing Cuellar has had a disaster game (v Hearts) .. so why is Buffel singled out for the most abuse?

I stand by my point that the reason for this is because of his style of play, some fans just dont like these skillfull type players and come to expect too much from them , and as outlaw said above, focus on the negative more than the positive

Good post Danny (tu)

Perhaps the reason for this is that all of the players you mention are on the small side or small and not considered big/strong enough to lead from/through the centre.

Perhaps mate, but, in Novo's first season, he played through the middle, scored a bucketload, and, we all loved him, now he is "not good enough", many were crying out to have Pete through the middle, and, when Eck did, mainly in Europe, he was a far better player.

If you look at a lot of the players who play the Buffell type, in the hole position, they arent normally big guys, even Rooney isnt big (fat perhaps, sorry, stalky, but not big). Thats a position that needs pace, an eye for a pass (or shot) and good feet really.

• 2 weeks later...

Lads, I think your looking too much into this. Buffel was instrumental in bringing no. 51 to Ibrox, while under Le Guen he started having knee problems that required surgery and a lengthy lay off to ensure they had healed, just look at Celtic's John Kennedy, this is why he's been a virtual ghost at the club for so long. He's not a crash and bash type player but is skillful and elusive. He was NOT brought in as Rangers answer to Craig Bellamy as Big Archie MacPherson would have you believe. I personally wish him all the best and hope he can contribute to our league success this season as we WILL win it and I want everybody who struggled under McLeish's last year at the club and under Le Guen (Ferguson, Boyd, Burke, Buffel, McGregor, Hutton, Stevie Smith) to have the best of success, they deserve it and I hope Artur Boruc and Co. realize what it's like to be one the receiving end of the Old Firm.

Guest Andypendek

like housewives fighting over the washing green, we seem to be poles apart here. no one can doubt buffel is a good player...equally tho, and perhaps decisively, he has never, at any level of league, been able to consistently perform to a high standard. and the final nail in the eyes of many is his appalling catalogue of misses when plg still had us playing arsenal-style early last season.

inconsistency+poor finishing= billy no mates

doesn't mean he can't be good sometimes...but that isn't good enough.

For me, there is no role for Buffel to play at the club. I feel he is a player with tremendous technical ability but he s so lightweight and inconsistent that it is impossible to build a team around him.

The number of mystery injuries that have affected him in his time here has been unreal and it begs the question as to whether the player is happy being out of contention than trying to prove his ability to hos fellow players, the management and of course the fans.

Personally I would be happy cutting our losses and taking a couple of million ofr him. I don't beleve he will suddenly be a great asset wheras shrewdly spending that sort of money could bring us in a player who may not be as technically gifted, but will most likely be more consistent and contribute a great deal more.

• 3 weeks later...

I'd certainly give him another chance. Remember the goal he scored against Celtic, when he chested the ball through a gap between the two central defenders, sprinted after it and stroked it home beautifully? Class. He might just be the key with Walter's more physical players, giving us a perfect balance.

I really dont buy this inconsistency nonsense. How can any player continually played out of his natural position ever be expected to perform to the best of his ability consistently? It just cant be done.

I really dont buy this inconsistency nonsense. How can any player continually played out of his natural position ever be expected to perform to the best of his ability consistently? It just cant be done.

The inconsistancy arguement is BS as in reality Buffel has always done what has been expected of a player playing the 'free role' IMO.

make off the ball runs to drag defenders out of position, play neat passes, make late runs into the box, link midfield and attack by dropping deep and score the odd goal.

however in a fantasy land a player playing in the free role must do all that will also covering 10k a match, track back and match the runs of the opposition players, steam role into tackles at 100mph and be built like Hulk Hogan while also having the ellegance of a balarenia.

The inconsistancy arguement is BS as in reality Buffel has always done what has been expected of a player playing the 'free role' IMO.

make off the ball runs to drag defenders out of position, play neat passes, make late runs into the box, link midfield and attack by dropping deep and score the odd goal.

however in a fantasy land a player playing in the free role must do all that will also covering 10k a match, track back and match the runs of the opposition players, steam role into tackles at 100mph and be built like Hulk Hogan while also having the ellegance of a balarenia.

That said, when he has turned in a performance (usually in CL or the goal v tims described by our friend above) it was when he was employed "in the hole." But the truth is he has spent the majority of his Rangers playing career farmed out wide...where he is incapable of influencing the game on a consistent basis.

Its for that reason that i feel for his predicament.

I think a distinct problem he may be suffering is he was an Eck signing. If you look at our starting line up, there is not one player who Eck signed who plays, bar maybe Boyd and obviously Ferguson who is an exceptional and unique case. All the rest are either from youth, are Smith signings, or indeed a PLG one.

I am not proposing a conspiracy here, just that Buffel lost his place under PLG and then got injured, and just doesn't and never has fit into the plans of Smith.

That all said though, Smith signed a possible 'replacement' in Gow, yet hasn't bothered with him either.

I REMEMBER THAT GAME ... STILL CANNAE BELIEVE HE DIDNAE AT LEAST SCORE 1!!!!