The Old days

plymouthranger

There were some pretty poor attendances back in the "Good Old Days". Our average home league attendance in 1981/82 was 16,399.

i am talking about 20 years before that when we had a fantastic support, and your right about our average support at that time, then when we started winning and on our way to nine in a row, all the glory hunters and the do gooders started to claim that they have always loved the club. :)

Go back to 65/6 and we had 15,000 at home to Motherwell and 12,000 at home to Clyde. But let's say we had a much higher average in the 60s. Where did all those great supporters go to between then and the early 80s?

What about all the fans who appeared once Souness took over.

A lot of the increase in average attendances is due to the advent of the "season ticket culture". You need a season ticket to see the Old Firm games. So you get a season ticket. Once you've got a season ticket you may as well go to the other games, which loads of people didn't bother with before (take 65/6 again - 76,000 watch us beat Celtic, next home league game 20,000).

And the supporters who disappeared between the 60s and the early 80s? Glory-hunters?

you can put as much spin as you like on it, and deflect as much as you like

Yes you can. :)

Where did they all go between the Celtic game and the next home game? Where did they all go between the 60s and the early 80s?

you have already deflected, as the thread was about bears sticking by one another, and not like the new age support who would sell their granny for a shilling if the media told them to do it, as i say i have not got time but i will be back later, i wonder when you jumped on board was it the glory years. :)

You're way off beam there.

And I'm not deflecting at all. The subject is "The Old Days". I'm asking some questions about the old days. Still waiting for some answers.

you seem to have chosen selected games, you dont mention 1959-60 celtic game 65000 or hearts game 72000 and hearts again 45000, or clyde game 40000.

what about 1961-62 st mirren game 172,000 ormotherwell game 84,000 aberdeen games 57,000 and 41,000 or hearts game 88,000.

everyone can be selective, plus people had to stuggle to get money to support our club,which included selling stuff walking to ibrox as they only had money to get into the ground, pawning stuff to get mone, to see the club that they loved. also i cant imagine you doing that sort of stuff to support our team, and the reason you jumped on to attendances was that you know our older support were a different breed which many of our younger fans are helping to carry on, all the true blue members of this forum will make sure that the old bears will never be forgotten, as for myself i have been there for the whole journey the bad times and good times, as were the rest of my family,thats because we loved and have given everything to our club. :rangers:

Spot on Minstral we're here for the long haul, will be here when the fairweathers have taken up golf or whateffer. just a passin fad to some ! But for US Rangers are not just for Xmas ! Rangers are for life ! W.A.T.P. and don't it make you feel Proud ? I love being Rangers Protestant and British ? :sherlock:

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

everyone can be selective, plus people had to stuggle to get money to support our club,which included selling stuff walking to ibrox as they only had money to get into the ground, pawning stuff to get mone, to see the club that they loved. also i cant imagine you doing that sort of stuff to support our team, and the reason you jumped on to attendances was that you know our older support were a different breed which many of our younger fans are helping to carry on, all the true blue members of this forum will make sure that the old bears will never be forgotten, as for myself i have been there for the whole journey the bad times and good times, as were the rest of my family,thats because we loved and have given everything to our club. :rangers:

minstral, i often don't agree with you, which matters not one jot, and is natural/to be expected in a way, but i have to say you come across as one of the most genuine people who post on here - and you don't seem too proud either - if you are dissed you take it and get on with it - you stay polite/unruffled - old school.

anyway: i just wanted to let you know that - you are a credit to the club and this board.

cheers.

:beer2:

minstral, i often don't agree with you, which matters not one jot, and is natural/to be expected in a way, but i have to say you come across as one of the most genuine people who post on here - and you don't seem too proud either - if you are dissed you take it and get on with it - you stay polite/unruffled - old school.

anyway: i just wanted to let you know that - you are a credit to the club and this board.

cheers.

Well said young man. (tu)

cheers.

Well said young man. (tu)

thank you brother

There were some pretty poor attendances back in the "Good Old Days". Our average home league attendance in 1981/82 was 16,399.

i am talking about 20 years before that when we had a fantastic support, and your right about our average support at that time, then when we started winning and on our way to nine in a row, all the glory hunters and the do gooders started to claim that they have always loved the club. :)

Go back to 65/6 and we had 15,000 at home to Motherwell and 12,000 at home to Clyde. But let's say we had a much higher average in the 60s. Where did all those great supporters go to between then and the early 80s?

What about all the fans who appeared once Souness took over.

A lot of the increase in average attendances is due to the advent of the "season ticket culture". You need a season ticket to see the Old Firm games. So you get a season ticket. Once you've got a season ticket you may as well go to the other games, which loads of people didn't bother with before (take 65/6 again - 76,000 watch us beat Celtic, next home league game 20,000).

And the supporters who disappeared between the 60s and the early 80s? Glory-hunters?

you can put as much spin as you like on it, and deflect as much as you like

Yes you can. :)

Where did they all go between the Celtic game and the next home game? Where did they all go between the 60s and the early 80s?

you have already deflected, as the thread was about bears sticking by one another, and not like the new age support who would sell their granny for a shilling if the media told them to do it, as i say i have not got time but i will be back later, i wonder when you jumped on board was it the glory years. :)

You're way off beam there.

And I'm not deflecting at all. The subject is "The Old Days". I'm asking some questions about the old days. Still waiting for some answers.

you seem to have chosen selected games, you dont mention 1959-60 celtic game 65000 or hearts game 72000 and hearts again 45000, or clyde game 40000.

what about 1961-62 st mirren game 172,000 ormotherwell game 84,000 aberdeen games 57,000 and 41,000 or hearts game 88,000.

Like I said above, I don't have the averages for the earlier years. And it's also necessary to look at individual games so you can see the fluctuations, especially between "big" games and other games. I also said that, accepting that averages were higher in the 60s than in the early 80s, why did all those fans disappear? (Some people have already commented on it.)

i cant imagine you doing that sort of stuff to support our team

You basically know nothing about me. You seem to deal in stereotypes, which I can assure you I don't fit.

cheers.

thanks very much for your kind words and i know lost of people disagree with me, and they are entiled to their opinions, but its just all my family and myself have always loved the club and we done anything to get money to follow the club, maybe some people think we are crazy about our passion for the club, but just look at manticore he goes everywhere and that includes europe to support the team he loves, but thanks again for your kind words. (tu)

Maybe they disappeared like my dad did...he vowed never to return to Ibrox after the Ibrox disaster in which he was involved and he didn't return until a pre season friendly against Man City i think in 1983 or there abouts.

Unemployment in the early 80's was dreadful,Thatcher killed off big industries and put alot of men out of work,choices were feed the kids or go to football...Rangers were shite at the time and i went cos i was young and impressionable...

Along with unemployment the recession had hit and poverty was rife....that's a few reasons why attendances dipped.