The Old days

plymouthranger

Being a young member, im subject to a lot of stuff from my dad about the good old days for Rangers, when we could sing what we want etc and it was merely accepted as part of our identity. Recently we travelled 700 miles to see the Gers, and the atmosphere was a bit flat. So im asking a question perhaps directed at the followers who can remember the days of "can u go a chicken supper bobby sands" etc.

Where the old days where Rangers were, lets face it, a dominantly protestantly rooted club. Or do you prefer this new era with little prejudice IN THE STADIUM

thoughts?

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sadly the atmosphere will never be the same as it once was. Old firm and European games aside the place is like a morgue at the moment.

But hopefully all is not lost.

With Supporters groups like The Blue Order and the RST getting together and providing a voice for the fans both in the stadium on matchdays, and in the media - attacking issues which attack us - perhaps we shall see the phoenix rise from the ashes.

One thing is for sure....its not like the old days.

unfortunatly UEFA have taken a hard stance against us, so theres not a chance of us going back under them. Only hope is some of the tripe Strachans been sprouting about a Euro league, runned by the money men and not UEFA. IF (and its not going to) this happened, im sure there wouldn't be any objections, but until then (which will be a long long long time) we're stuck with things as they are

An interesting debate plymouthranger.

Yes the old days allowed a freedom that no longer exists - no doubt about that.

But there is absolutely no reason we could not express our Protestant identity without falling foul of UEFA guidelines....and in fact we continue to do so.

To be honest I still believe the lack of atmosphere is more to do with the consequences of all seated stadia and the rise in season ticket admission and all ticket games.

IMO we can't continue to use UEFA banning 'The Billy Boys' as a reason for the lack of atmosphere at Ibrox now.

Yes the songs we used to sing were the basis for the majority of our atmosphere, but surely 50'000 fans shouldn't have to rely on a few songs to manage to create an atmospehre.

There is such a thing as improvising and we need to do it. Things like stamping and making that 'wooo' noise at corners, SB's sugestion of having a back and forth with the stadium announcer i.e shouting a players name when a goal is scored or a player comes on, making up more songs about our players.

There are obviously other factors such as a more workman like team and the ever increasing price of tickets, but the simple truth is that we have too many fans who generally can't be arsed as they only want to fully support the team when the big boys are in town.

An interesting debate plymouthranger.

Yes the old days allowed a freedom that no longer exists - no doubt about that.

But there is absolutely no reason we could not express our Protestant identity without falling foul of UEFA guidelines....and in fact we continue to do so.

To be honest I still believe the lack of atmosphere is more to do with the consequences of all seated stadia and the rise in season ticket admission and all ticket games.

well obviously 50,000 isn't going to sound as mighty as 100,000 as the all standing Ibrox got against the tims on a few occasions. But even in the 90s, when it was all seater, was the atmosphere a darn side better than it is now? I remeber watching Rangers in europe in the mid 90s, and i always remember it as a lot louder than it is now

IMO we can't continue to use UEFA banning 'The Billy Boys' as a reason for the lack of atmosphere at Ibrox now.

Yes the songs we used to sing were the basis for the majority of our atmosphere, but surely 50'000 fans shouldn't have to rely on a few songs to manage to create an atmospehre.

There is such a thing as improvising and we need to do it. Things like stamping and making that 'wooo' noise at corners, SB's sugestion of having a back and forth with the stadium announcer i.e shouting a players name when a goal is scored or a player comes on, making up more songs about our players.

There are obviously other factors such as a more workman like team and the ever increasing price of tickets, but the simple truth is that we have too many fans who generally can't be arsed as they only want to fully support the team when the big boys are in town.

I have no idea why but that sentence actually made me laugh out loud :lol: I think I could just picture you saying it out loud as you typed :lol:

God I must be tired...time to go home soon I think :)

I have no idea why but that sentence actually made me laugh out loud :lol: I think I could just picture you saying it out loud as you typed :lol:

God I must be tired...time to go home soon I think :)

I did spend a good minute doing it and trying to think how to type it :lol:

I'll have the neighbours phoning the police if it carries on :craphead:

My first trip to Ibrox was when I was 9. It was 24 years ago, an Old Firm game and I can remember being terrified by the noise, swearing, abuse and I left a confused young boy. Why was there so much anger? Its only a game, isnt it? Ok, it was our greatest rivals, but it was a borderline riot in the streets afterwards, I will remember my wee brother howling his way home at the time. We were terrified. In the bus on the way back, it was bottled and my father was hit, luckily no blood was shed.

I told my father that while I would always support Rangers with him, I never wanted to go to another game as long as I lived. He said he would take me to one more, against Morton it was, and he said it would be different this time.

He was right. Gone was the venom of the Old Firm occassion, and the songs were were sung with more heart than defiance. It was after this game that I asked what everyone was singing about. He told me all about King Billy and Ulster etc and as he was telling me you could see how he was almost embarassed by what he was telling me. Maybe my unconvinced expression was getting to him. I wanted to go and cheer my heroes like Davie Cooper and Bobby Russell. I didnt care about some battle, not even in my own country, or even in my grandfathers lifetime.

My father was 'Proud to be a proddy' before I asked him about all this, but he dropped it soon after. I kept asking why did he sing about hating Catholics, when he was married to one! I like to think that I was able to open his eyes as he obviously did not believe in what was being sung. He was a 90 minute bigot, like the thousands of others that attended Ibrox.

If Ibrox was like that today, I would never take my own son to a game. While I understand some feel it important to sing about Ulster etc, Im glad that it has been removed from the repertoire. Its true that the atmosphere is not as it was, but surely that is up to us to sing for our club to get it back up again. A lot of 'old school' fans will be offended by what I have said, but I signed up to support Rangers, not some political catfight. Its 2007, life is too short to for all that. :rangers:

Being a young member, im subject to a lot of stuff from my dad about the good old days for Rangers, when we could sing what we want etc and it was merely accepted as part of our identity. Recently we travelled 700 miles to see the Gers, and the atmosphere was a bit flat. So im asking a question perhaps directed at the followers who can remember the days of "can u go a chicken supper bobby sands" etc.

Where the old days where Rangers were, lets face it, a dominantly protestantly rooted club. Or do you prefer this new era with little prejudice IN THE STADIUM

thoughts?

In the second paragraph you seem to be hinting that a dominantly protestantly rooted club involves prejudice. As a support we seem to have battered wife syndrome where we always assume we are in the wrong, whatever the circumstances

no contest the old days by a mile united as a support and stood shoulder to shoulder together, atmosphere was fantastic, singing all the way up the copland road, players who loved the club, not like some of the imposters that have played for us, better players, plus none of this negative tactics, because we were the rangers and thought that we could beat anyone, i wish someone could make me a time capsule even for just one game. :rangers:

That's the way I remember the 70s Minstral, although perhaps even as far back as that the fervent nature of the support was on the wane? I don't think the redevelopment of the stadium helped, with changes in society also taking away a bit part of the club that older Bears remember. When Dennis Law says you can never forget the great Rangers he probably isn't talking about what we have now, but rather what used to be

That's the way I remember the 70s Minstral, although perhaps even as far back as that the fervent nature of the support was on the wane? I don't think the redevelopment of the stadium helped, with changes in society also taking away a bit part of the club that older Bears remember. When Dennis Law says you can never forget the great Rangers he probably isn't talking about what we have now, but rather what used to be

yes the sixties was a fantastic support, and they days will never come back but i am proud to be part of that great support. :rangers:

no contest the old days by a mile united as a support and stood shoulder to shoulder together, atmosphere was fantastic, singing all the way up the copland road, players who loved the club, not like some of the imposters that have played for us, better players, plus none of this negative tactics, because we were the rangers and thought that we could beat anyone, i wish someone could make me a time capsule even for just one game. :rangers:

Aw naw ...The maestro's been on.How can you possibly argue about which is better, when you have people like him, manticore d'artagnan et al. What have they fuckin seen over the years? True Bears. I read their posts with interest because it's cos of bears like this, that my love for rangers has never been anything other than a way of life, that doesn't seem to do it justice really.I always remember blokes like these making surei never got hit by anything as a wee boy at the games,all ma dad'spals, and fuck me did things fly in they days ! bit off topic but it may explain itself i suppose.

2 major points in this huge chunk of my life

1) when i identified with the rangers support, as one. it was really early 80's and andy ritchie of morton had just played rangers off the park and we were lucky to escape with a 2-2 at ibrox.I was 8-9years old,but it was walking round to to our bus that a gang of young lads started belting out The Sash, i'd loved the song anyway, it was on every sunday without fail in our house.butnthey were not that much older than me, but their passion in the singing, there were only 5 or 6 of them, but it sounded louder than i'd ever heard before, strange i know. But i could feel my burning passion for rangers, i was like them, i wanted to be with them, but i wasn't brave enough..or hard enough.They just pushed my glass over the edge of the dining table, there was no ever shitting on rangers after that. I was obsessed. Fuckin magic!

2)When i realised my own identity as a Bear.-never thought it was gonnae be the same without ma dad, but i remember my first home game without ma dad, I was quite handy with ma fists but nothing prepared me for getting punched and kicked in the head by st mirren casuals at the tea bar in the enclosure in'89. Just before i hit the deck loadsa boys jumped in. anyway the stmirren boys got stuck at the stairs in the west enclosure, me and this english boy were scared shitless but ran at them anyway,amazingkicked 7 shades out of them. Us and a gang of Chelsea followed Rangers everywhere for years from london, and we never hid from anybody.

I'll never be ashamed of it

In fact i'm quite proud of it

At least i know i have never sold my soul to the devil

Or felt the need to apologize for my beliefs whether in Rangers, Religion and life.

The Rangers shaped my life

Without them i would be nothing

Aw naw ...The maestro's been on.How can you possibly argue about which is better, when you have people like him, manticore d'artagnan et al. What have they fuckin seen over the years? True Bears. I read their posts with interest because it's cos of bears like this, that my love for rangers has never been anything other than a way of life, that doesn't seem to do it justice really.I always remember blokes like these making surei never got hit by anything as a wee boy at the games,all ma dad'spals, and fuck me did things fly in they days ! bit off topic but it may explain itself i suppose.

1) when i identified with the rangers support, as one. it was really early 80's and andy ritchie of morton had just played rangers off the park and we were lucky to escape with a 2-2 at ibrox.I was 8-9years old,but it was walking round to to our bus that a gang of young lads started belting out The Sash, i'd loved the song anyway, it was on every sunday without fail in our house.butnthey were not that much older than me, but their passion in the singing, there were only 5 or 6 of them, but it sounded louder than i'd ever heard before, strange i know. But i could feel my burning passion for rangers, i was like them, i wanted to be with them, but i wasn't brave enough..or hard enough.They just pushed my glass over the edge of the dining table, there was no ever shitting on rangers after that. I was obsessed. Fuckin magic!

2)When i realised my own identity as a Bear.-never thought it was gonnae be the same without ma dad, but i remember my first home game without ma dad, I was quite handy with ma fists but nothing prepared me for getting punched and kicked in the head by st mirren casuals at the tea bar in the enclosure in'89. Just before i hit the deck loadsa boys jumped in. anyway the stmirren boys got stuck at the stairs in the west enclosure, me and this english boy were scared shitless but ran at them anyway,amazingkicked 7 shades out of them. Us and a gang of Chelsea followed Rangers everywhere for years from london, and we never hid from anybody.

Or felt the need to apologize for my beliefs whether in Rangers, Religion and life.

Great stuff Rab and minstral.

WATP.

that is fantastic its a shame that my dad was ashamed of it and tried to stop me knowing but it had the reverse effect i now love Rangers more than he could ever imagine and i'm hoping that maybe i can rub off on him. :rangers: WATP

I started watching football and Rangers when I was 7 years old. That was in 1954. The terraces made for a far different atmosphere and it could frankly be terrifying at times with HUGE crowds of well over 100,00 at some games. I was brought up with the early sixties GREAT team that you all know by heart (Niven, Shearer, Caldow, Davis, McKinnon, Baxter, Scott/Henderson, MacMillan, Millar, Brand and Wilson.) There was no talk of sectarianism, but it obviously was there.

There was a great 'Rivalry" between Rangers and Celtic and their fans. Many a fight started on football pitches and school playgrounds and I saw many nasty incidents after OF games. Rangers supporters were much more unified though. Much more a band of brothers than now.

Some of that was great, but it was definitely a mans world. I saw very few women at games. The facilities were primitive. I was at the Ibrox disaster and just missed going down the wrong exit - I passed it by. Times I think have changed for the better definitely regarding facilities and the atmosphere at games much more civilized with women in attendance. There IS less excitement, but then again the sight of grown men filling up empty beer cans with urine on the terracing steps and this then getting knocked over and running down at the people below was not great either.

I have mixed feelings and really think that if RFC could just put together a really successful team again then a lot of our problems would solve themselves. Success on the pitch is a great healer. That combined with a great rivalry, but less sectarianism and hatred would be the best solution.

yes the sixties was a fantastic support, and they days will never come back but i am proud to be part of that great support. :rangers:

What do you think the guys running the club back then would have done if UEFA had tried to ban one of our songs? Indeed how do you think the supporters would have treated someone like Murray who has spent nearly 20 years refusing to challenge the bastards who hate us and will stop at nothing to destroy us?

hi rab great to see you posting another fantastic post, and your right our fans always stood by one another,but the times have now changed, as some of our support just treat rangers as a hobby, just something to do to pass away a saturday afternoon. you see them come in 10 min late, then up they get 10 min before halftime to go for tea or a pie, then you see them looking bored as if to say nearly time to go home, then with 20 min to go up they get and off they go, no matter what the score is at the time, i know you will hear but the pay their money and can do what they like, yes they can but dont pretend they love the club and rangers mean everything to them, if you love the club you should eat sleep and breathe rangers,which i do and think about our club all the time, not like some of the kid on rangers fans. :rangers:

hi rab great to see you posting another fantastic post, and your right our fans always stood by one another,but the times have now changed, as some of our support just treat rangers as a hobby, just something to do to pass away a saturday afternoon. you see them come in 10 min late, then up they get 10 min before halftime to go for tea or a pie, then you see them looking bored as if to say nearly time to go home, then with 20 min to go up they get and off they go, no matter what the score is at the time, i know you will hear but the pay their money and can do what they like, yes they can but dont pretend they love the club and rangers mean everything to them, if you love the club you should eat sleep and breathe rangers,which i do and think about our club all the time, not like some of the kid on rangers fans. :rangers:

Whilst i can't pretend to live, eat and breathe Rangers, i can tell you this.

We manage to get up to Ibrox around 7-10 times a season, which i know isn't great in the big scheme of things.

Four of us travel by car, usually set off around 8 and get there for 11 ish.

After flattening 30 or 40 quid in the club shop, another 20 on a new hat, and a few badges for the collection, we'll dump the stuff in the car, dive in the rolls royce club off Paisley road west.

Four or five beers (not the driver btw) and a burger and chips later and we're in the ground, no half time pie, no leaving 10 minutes early.

Get back into Bolton around 10pm and that's another good day for us, win lose or draw.

I could spend a lot less time and money going 6 miles up the road to the Reebok, but then i wouldn't be a Ranger would i?

The old team knew how to support the Rangers and still do, not like a lot of the new mealie mouthed mob who are saying our traditions are in the wrong and are willing to capitulate and supply ammunition to our mortal enemies. Give me our traditional ways every time and if that means the old days as you call them then count me in ! :sherlock:

The rangers support has become a diluted shadow of its former self in the last few years and we have the support as a whole has became divided enough.

It doesnt help when some of our own 'fans' think derrys walls and the sash is sectarian or some try and take 'a moral highground to them' and start the old why cant we just sing rangers songs or what have we got to do with ulster blah blah blah, you all know the type the nivea loyal/pc mob or whatever you want to call them.

Ive heard younger fans say in recent years why dont we drop all the rule brittania/GSTQ baggage and sing flower of scotland instead and other garbage but hey this is the new age fans who seem to have appeared from no were or suddenly found their voice in the last few years, i wonder to mysel were where all these people during the 80's/90's ?

Bring back the old days