Scotsport SPL canned

Stardog

Haven't seen this talked about yet:

http://www.allmediascotland.com/articles/1..._spl_highlights

http://www.<No links to this website>/entertainment...-86908-20088766

You’ve got to admire the way stv announced its dropping of Scottish Premier League football matches from its roster: the revelation was not made until paragraph three of a media release put out on Friday.

Instead, the release launched on the upbeat note that the station is “planning to diversify its sports coverage via the Scotsport brand by reporting on a wider range of sportsâ€.

It follows an announcement last month that there’s to be a new rugby programme, which began broadcasting yesterday. However, as to other sports Scotsport is planning to cover, the media release did not make clear.

As for the dropping of SPL football, stv said: “Due to an increasingly overcrowded football coverage marketplace, stv has decided not to renew its contract to show highlights of SPL matches after this football season. However, stv remains committed to showing Champions League football, which remains hugely popular with viewers across the country attracting high audiences.â€

Sport is expected to feature substantially on a new, 5.30pm news magazine show the station is launching within the next few months.

Says stv’s head of broadcasting, Bobby Hain: “Whilst remaining committed to the nation’s favourite sport, football, we see a real potential for attracting viewers whose interests lie in other areas of sport. The Scotsport brand, which turned 50 years old this year, will continue to feature via such programmes as the new Scotsport Rugby Sunday show, a regular slot in the new 5.30pm programme which will offer viewers regular diverse sports news, and via our website. We will also be exploring other areas to engage with our viewers via the Scotsport brand both on screen and online throughout the course of 2008.â€

It's bullshit that they start a new rugby show but ditch the SPL highlights. Tell me what's the most popular, rugby or football?

I grew up with mc Nee's daughters and went to the same nursery school as them (nithsdale road and i am NOT a tim lol) and sometimes i would go to his house after nursery with my mum as his wife and my mum were friends.

But you'd never guess what he did'nt have in his house????

A TELEVISION!! Seriously. My Mum still talks about it to this day as being very odd for a man in the media. There's more to it but i know he'll read this board so will say no more.

But he did get me a team photo of the Scotland squad for Mexico 86 fully signed by the whole team which i still have (somewhere)

I do hate him BTW just to make that clear.

But you'd never guess what he did'nt have in his house????

A TELEVISION!! Seriously. My Mum still talks about it to this day as being very odd for a man in the media. There's more to it but i know he'll read this board so will say no more.

It's usually people that think of themselves as "posh" that don't have TV's. TV's are a common man's object apparently.

Good riddance to bad rubbish I say.

McNee and Spiers are regular geusts, which says it all about the type of viewer they wish to attract

Don't forget that wee waste of space colqhoun, a guy so bitter and twisted he makes Mark McGhee seem like an unbiased and well rounded human being :rolleyes:

am happy with this decision, tim central has been shut down for gd :) (fu McKee, Speirs and Colqhoun) i hope now that BBC makes a more glamourized show for the nation to watch on a wednesday rather than the poor effort they bring together on a wed.

It was all downhill after sarah o left :pipehorse:

Spot on. A bit of tottie can make anything look great on tv. Odd looker but crackin body on her, and who can forget her 'Calderwood' pronunciation...

Guest Andypendek

it was amateur l'heure par excellence, from start to finish. always - without exception - 5 minutes late coming on, to maximise advertising at the late hour. more advertising breaks at annoying moments, loads early to catch those who weren't sleeping - but who's going to return to a programme that is one long ad break for it's first 15 minutes? the tedious wait if the tims were on first, knowing that in a brilliantly subtle piece of television genius rangers would be on last - so you wouldn't turn off, you see? genius!!! the staggeringly awful presenters, my god i though delahunt was bad (and he is) until i saw andy walker trying to read a script. the same 4 text messages scrolling along the screen. the same inane statistics no-one cares about. the same, tired, usual suspects desperately trying to boost their circulations (and egos) by making tedious, 'controversial' remarks...

MoTD runs for 90 minutes on a saturday night, no adverts and it never seems a moment too long. granted, the spl can't give you that much. but a longer programme, which incorporated highlights of other leagues, eg the dutch, french, whatever - usually relegated to the wee small hours, to be stumbled over by those in search of something fruitier on C5 - along with perhaps an ex-OF star of that country, would fill it out. and crucially, it must be presented by someone outwith the usual coterie of media chums. i'd go so far as to say the host should not even be scottish.

spl highlights, analysis by the host (say, i dunno, mark clement) and 1 guest then onto the euro highlights. you could have artur numan one week, then vidar riseth to keep the tims happy, then jorg albertz on the bundesliga, then rudi vata on albania...well, maybe not. but a bit of imagination and courage could see something streets ahead of the drivel we've been served up for years.

rant over!