Hatton Vs. Mayweather thread

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/boxing/7134002.stm

Angelo Dundee doesn't give Hatton much hope

Boxing legend Bernard Hopkins has tipped Ricky Hatton to defeat Floyd Mayweather in Las Vegas this weekend.

Hopkins said he expected Hatton to "out-hustle Mayweather to a 12-round unanimous decision" in the early hours of Sunday morning, UK time.

"I see something in Hatton, I think he's the more focused fighter," Philadelphian Hopkins told BBC Sport.

"Hatton is going to throw more punches than Mayweather ever did. The busier, more aggressive fighter, will win."

Interview: Bernard Hopkins

Hatton and Mayweather front up

Hopkins added the 30-year-old Mayweather, who will be defending his WBC welterweight belt, might be under-estimating his opponent.

"I don't believe Floyd thinks Ricky has what Oscar de la Hoya had or Zab Judah had," said the 42-year-old Hopkins, now campaigning at light-heavyweight.

Mayweather has bad mitts, and when you have bad mitts, you're always thinking, 'If I punch this guy, I've got to go eight more rounds with a sore hand'

Bernard Hopkins

"But what Ricky has that neither of those fighters had is constant energy, punching and pressure - and he's got good whiskers.

"Ricky is willing to be a slugger, but to throw punches in bunches, and that's rare in boxing today, and that's a dangerous guy because you can't keep him off you.

"That will be the difference in this fight. There will be some exciting moments early on, but at the end of the day, Ricky Hatton out-hustles Floyd Mayweather to a 12-round unanimous decision."

Hopkins also suggested that Hatton, 29, might be the hungrier of the two and that Mayweather, a world champion at five-different weights, could be battling complacency.

"Floyd is considered to be the best fighter in the world, and I echo that. We all know he can fight. But can he still fight like a hungry man?" said Hopkins.

606: DEBATE

Amid the hubbub there was much chat about boxing returning to the good old days

BBC Sport's Ben Dirs

"Because I'm telling you, when that fire's not lit, you can't train the same, you go through the motions, you can't think the same, spiritually you're not the same.

"Who's going to be able to suck it up, forget about all the medals they've won, all the belts, all the pound-for-pound accolades and the 'zeros' on their records? That's going to be the biggest factor on Saturday night."

Mayweather has complained of fragile hands in the lead-up to the fight, and Hopkins said they could also play a big part in the outcome.

"Mayweather is a slightly bigger puncher, but he has bad mitts, and when you have bad mitts, you're always thinking, 'If I punch this guy, I've got to go eight more rounds with a sore hand'.

"Ricky Hatton throws so many punches, Floyd can't afford to hurt any knuckles on his hand."

Former light-welterweight king Hatton goes into the bout, billed "Undefeated", with a 43-fight unbeaten record, while Mayweather is unbeaten in 38 professional contests.

The fight is expected to start at about 0400 GMT, although it depends on the length of the fights on the undercard.

Hopkins does though :craphead:

From the Beeb

What does Hopkins know :rolleyes: He should stop shitting himself from Calzaghi and get that match signed up :angry2:

• Replies 332
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

they tipped the supposed american wonderboy , Jeff Lacey to beat calzaghe and Calzaghe box the head off him . one of the most one sided fights i ever seen.. Lacey took a pounding and was in some state im surprised he is fighting again after that match, Calzaghe too quick on his feet and hand speed.

there is no one really left for Calzaghe to fight bar maybe hopkins , but even then i suspect he will go onto retire undefeated.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/boxing/7134002.stm

Angelo Dundee doesn't give Hatton much hope

Boxing legend Bernard Hopkins has tipped Ricky Hatton to defeat Floyd Mayweather in Las Vegas this weekend.

Hopkins said he expected Hatton to "out-hustle Mayweather to a 12-round unanimous decision" in the early hours of Sunday morning, UK time.

"I see something in Hatton, I think he's the more focused fighter," Philadelphian Hopkins told BBC Sport.

"Hatton is going to throw more punches than Mayweather ever did. The busier, more aggressive fighter, will win."

Interview: Bernard Hopkins

Hatton and Mayweather front up

Hopkins added the 30-year-old Mayweather, who will be defending his WBC welterweight belt, might be under-estimating his opponent.

"I don't believe Floyd thinks Ricky has what Oscar de la Hoya had or Zab Judah had," said the 42-year-old Hopkins, now campaigning at light-heavyweight.

Mayweather has bad mitts, and when you have bad mitts, you're always thinking, 'If I punch this guy, I've got to go eight more rounds with a sore hand'

Bernard Hopkins

"But what Ricky has that neither of those fighters had is constant energy, punching and pressure - and he's got good whiskers.

"Ricky is willing to be a slugger, but to throw punches in bunches, and that's rare in boxing today, and that's a dangerous guy because you can't keep him off you.

"That will be the difference in this fight. There will be some exciting moments early on, but at the end of the day, Ricky Hatton out-hustles Floyd Mayweather to a 12-round unanimous decision."

Hopkins also suggested that Hatton, 29, might be the hungrier of the two and that Mayweather, a world champion at five-different weights, could be battling complacency.

"Floyd is considered to be the best fighter in the world, and I echo that. We all know he can fight. But can he still fight like a hungry man?" said Hopkins.

Amid the hubbub there was much chat about boxing returning to the good old days

BBC Sport's Ben Dirs

"Because I'm telling you, when that fire's not lit, you can't train the same, you go through the motions, you can't think the same, spiritually you're not the same.

"Who's going to be able to suck it up, forget about all the medals they've won, all the belts, all the pound-for-pound accolades and the 'zeros' on their records? That's going to be the biggest factor on Saturday night."

Mayweather has complained of fragile hands in the lead-up to the fight, and Hopkins said they could also play a big part in the outcome.

"Mayweather is a slightly bigger puncher, but he has bad mitts, and when you have bad mitts, you're always thinking, 'If I punch this guy, I've got to go eight more rounds with a sore hand'.

"Ricky Hatton throws so many punches, Floyd can't afford to hurt any knuckles on his hand."

Former light-welterweight king Hatton goes into the bout, billed "Undefeated", with a 43-fight unbeaten record, while Mayweather is unbeaten in 38 professional contests.

The fight is expected to start at about 0400 GMT, although it depends on the length of the fights on the undercard.

Hopkins does though :craphead:

From the Beeb

What does Hopkins know :rolleyes: He should stop shitting himself from Calzaghi and get that match signed up :angry2:

I agree with him ducking Calzaghe but he is still respected in boxing.

they tipped the supposed american wonderboy , Jeff Lacey to beat calzaghe and Calzaghe box the head off him . one of the most one sided fights i ever seen.. Lacey took a pounding and was in some state im surprised he is fighting again after that match,

there is no one really left for Calzaghe to fight bar maybe hopkins , but even then i suspect he will go onto retire undefeated.

Jones Jr?

Did u see the weigh in with hatton and Mayweather on sky sports news before hatton come out? Calzaghe was taking the piss out of hopkins and they were squaring up

Calzaghe v Hopkins would be some fight, lets just hope it happens.

Calzaghe dismisses Hopkins tirade

Bernard Hopkins and Joe Calzaghe clashed in Las Vegas on Friday

Joe Calzaghe has laughed off Bernard Hopkins' attempt to intimidate him after they went head-to-head at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas on Friday.

The pair met at the weigh-in for Ricky Hatton v Floyd Mayweather and sowed the seeds for another big British-US clash.

American Hopkins said he "would never let a white boy beat me" as he tried to taunt super-middleweight king Calzaghe.

"Hopkins, he's the way he is. He's going to get in your face and try to intimidate you," Calzaghe said.

Interview: Joe Calzaghe

Interview: Ronald 'Winky' Wright

"But it ain't gonna work with me. He tried his mind games but I took it and gave him a bit back - that's what it's all about and I'm buzzing.

"It was fantastic for me to go in and I'd never met Hopkins in person before.

"I was doing some press work and he came in and basically did a head-to-head, got the cameras going.

"That's brilliant, at the end of the day that's the main reason I came over, to try and make the Hopkins fight and that's what sells.

Come on Joe, get the fight arranged and beat this punk

jase1983

"Now the public are going to be begging for that fight, hopefully."

Newbridge-born Calzaghe, 35, has long been after a 'super-fight' against former middleweight king Hopkins, although the 42-year-old now fights at light-heavy.

Calzaghe beat Mikkel Kessler last month to become undisputed super-middleweight champion but is now ready to step up to light-heavy to face Hopkins.

But after sampling the atmosphere at the Hatton-Mayweather weigh-in, Calzaghe - speaking on BBC Sport Wales' The Back Page programme - says he is ready to fight in the USA.

More than 6,000 British fans turned up at the MGM Grand and chanted and cheered for Calzaghe as well as main event Hatton.

"It was pretty eventful, I've never seen such a turn-out for a weigh-in," Calzaghe said.

"Just being over here in Vegas at the MGM, seeing all the support Ricky Hatton - and myself - got it makes me even more want to fight now.

"If I can get the Hopkins fight it'd be amazing and now I know that if I come out here, if I get the sort of people come over like Hatton's got, it's a home away from home - it's awesome!"

Yankee Stadium, in New York, is interested in hosting the clash and they could look at staging a fight there rather than Las Vegas.

Hopkins said he would like to aim for a date on or near 4 July to coincide with American Independence Day.

"We have to put a stop to your invasion. You want to put us under the Queen's regime," Hopkins said.

"I'm the black Paul Revere [a hero of the American Revolutionary War] saying, 'the British are coming again'.

"We can make it fun. I will get a red, white and blue costume and a midget band and play 'Yankee Doodle Dandy'. It would be so patriotic."

Calzaghe would favour a fight in the spring and confirmed that Ronald 'Winky' Wright - a Hopkins victim - was a possibility.

Assuming he beat American Wright, 36, a long-reigning light-middleweight champion who has now moved up the divisions, Calzaghe could then face Hopkins in the summer.

does anybody have a internet link for this fight, i not got a telly in my room at uni, and i didnt know the sports bar in manchester was asking for tickets so i aint got one of them either

plz help!!

Ads

does anybody have a internet link for this fight, i not got a telly in my room at uni, and i didnt know the sports bar in manchester was asking for tickets so i aint got one of them either

plz help!!

Ads

:so_sad:

Watch it online:

http ://myp2p.eu/ broadcast.php?matchid=3131∂=sports

(notice the spaces, don't want a direct link from RM)

The link won't appear till about 9pm probably

credit to jadams

there is quite a few streams at channelsurfing.net if people are interested in that

the next fight on the undercard should be quite good - daniel ponce de leon is quite explosive

the penultimate fight - lacy v manfredo might not be so good - Lacy is coming off his humiliaiton to Calzaghe and then in his next fight he tore his shoulder almost clean to the bone and is returning from surgery - and Manfredo isnt top class