Fulham appoint Hodgson

Muff

Fulham have announced the appointment of Roy Hodgson as their new manager on a "long-term" contract.

He will take over on 30 December, with caretaker boss Ray Lewington remaining in charge for Saturday's away game against Birmingham City.

Fulham sacked Lawrie Sanchez last week with the club in the Premier League's bottom three.

"I am determined that we will overcome the current position," Hodgson, 60, told the club's official website.

"I understand that it will be a challenge, but one that I will relish."

Fulham's new manager will be at their game at St. Andrews on Saturday before taking training with the Craven Cottage squad on Sunday.

His first game in charge will be the local derby at home against Chelsea on New Year's Day as he tries to arrest a dramatic slump in form for the Cottagers.

Fulham's last league win came on 3 November against Reading and they have since lost five of their seven top-flight games, including their 5-1 thrashing by Tottenham last time out.

"After long talks with the chairman and the board I am convinced that we can take the Club to a new level," said Hodgson.

He made an inauspicious start to his managerial career when he was sacked after a short stint with Bristol City.

But he led Malmo to five consecutive championships and two Swedish Cups and then guided the Swiss national team to the 1994 World Cup finals and Euro 96.

He went on to manage Inter Milan and Blackburn Rovers, among others, before taking over as Finland coach and narrowly missed out on taking them to Euro 2008.

ROY HODGSON'S CLUBS

Played for: Crystal Palace, Maidstone and Berea Park

Managed: Halmstad, Bristol City, Orebro, Malmo, Neuchatel Xamax, Switzerland, Inter Milan, Blackburn, Inter Milan, Grasshoppers, FC Copenhagen, Udinese, United Arab Emirates, Viking FK, Finland, Fulham

Hodgson's stint in charge of Blackburn ended with him being sacked in November 1998 with the club bottom of the Premier League.

But he has a vast amount of experience and success across Europe and is the experienced boss Fulham wanted to guide them away from relegation.

Former Fulham midfielder John Collins, who recently resigned as Hibernian manager, had been linked with the post after resigning his job with Scottish Premier League Hibernian.

But it proved to be no more than speculation and Hodgson will be unveiled by Fulham at a news conference on Monday.

"It is my vision to combine the best of the fantastic traditions of the English Premier League with the flair and innate professionalism of the continental game, which I hope will return Fulham to its tradition of playing attractive passing football," said club chairman Mohamed Al Fayed.

"I believe that Roy has immense experience in all areas of football and can drive this club forward for the long term.

"My commitment to this club has never dwindled and I am more than ever determined that we have the right man to turn round our current predicament and build for a successful future."