Walter Smith

jim_beam

If this is true, it's bad all round -- for Rangers and Scotland. We both need WS and I'd have thought a short term arrangement to have both jobs is the wa yto go. (Even SAF) backed that as being difficult, but feasible.

2 massive games for Scotland in March coming up. This season's gone except the UEFA. Priority is to get second (cant believe I'm saying that) and plan for next year. Hopefully Durranty can get us into second, and let WS and AM concentrate on next year.

Still a huge, huge mess.

Oh yes, and we need some players .. how could I forget that? An even bigger mess.

If this is true, it's bad all round -- for Rangers and Scotland. We both need WS and I'd have thought a short term arrangement to have both jobs is the wa yto go. (Even SAF) backed that as being difficult, but feasible.

2 massive games for Scotland in March coming up. This season's gone except the UEFA. Priority is to get second (cant believe I'm saying that) and plan for next year. Hopefully Durranty can get us into second, and let WS and AM concentrate on next year.

Still a huge, huge mess.

Oh yes, and we need some players .. how could I forget that? An even bigger mess.

I think it's important that the new boss can come in now and not in the summer.

SFA reject Rangers' Smith move?

The Scottish Football Association has rejected Rangers' approach for Scotland coach Walter Smith.

Smith and Ally McCoist have been tipped to take over at Ibrox following the departure of Paul Le Guen.

However, after holding talks with Smith at Hampden on Monday, the SFA rebuffed Rangers' approach.

SFA chief executive David Taylor confirmed that the Ibrox side enquired about Smith's availability at the weekend.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/t...ers/6233237.stm

What's the saying, it doesn't rain, but it pours!

Walter still has 18 months on his current contract with the SFA, so if he were to come here then there would have to be a lot of discussion between the SFA and Murray.

What he does have in his contract is a clause that if Scotland don't qualify then the SFA can terminate his contract, I hope we do qualify though.

I've also noticed that Coisty doesn't have an actual contract with the SFA so he isn't restricted, but I think he is too inexperienced for the job.

If we don't get Walter at this moment in time, I wonder if SDM will go for McCall who is the assistant manager at one of the Sheffield clubs, to be honest who on earth could we go for that is available.

Well, I can't think of anyone Scottish/British who is out of a job at the moment, but Gus Hiddink has apparently left the Russian National Team, and Lippi I think doesn't have a job at the moment!!! <scared>

Still a huge, huge mess.

We`ll just have to be like the tims club before country

You have put yourselves between the rock and the hard place.

If W.Smith resigns then Rangers will be rightly or wrongly be seen as have sabotaged the national team.

Why oh why did DM not look elsewhere Billy Davis or Steve Clarke of Chelski

If W.Smith resigns then Rangers will be rightly or wrongly be seen as have sabotaged the national team.

You are not a Gers fan are you? If you were you would understand why Walter would want to come back to Rangers and you would also understand our reasons for going after him. Do you really think Murray would think to himself "Do you know what i will do, i will get Walter back so that Scotland will be without a manager"? I don't. That is just stupid.

BTW, If you are a Gers fan i apolagise.

You are not a Gers fan are you? If you were you would understand why Walter would want to come back to Rangers and you would also understand our reasons for going after him. Do you really think Murray would think to himself "Do you know what i will do, i will get Walter back so that Scotland will be without a manager"? I don't. That is just stupid.

BTW, If you are a Gers fan i apolagise.

I am not a bluenose but think back on other Ibrox legends who have returned for a second stint. Wallace, Greig

John Greig returned as a manager after being a player. So did Wallace i believe.

Walter has proved himself as a MANAGER as this club and is either the greatest, or second greatest, manager we have even had. That is why we want him. He will start from scratch and build our team up again to become what we used to be.

The SFA cannot possibly blame the man for answering the call of the club he loves when we are in a state of turmoil. Wouldn't you do the same for whatever club you support?

John Greig returned as a manager after being a player. So did Wallace i believe.

Walter has proved himself as a MANAGER as this club and is either the greatest, or second greatest, manager we have even had. That is why we want him. He will start from scratch and build our team up again to become what we used to be.

The SFA cannot possibly blame the man for answering the call of the club he loves when we are in a state of turmoil. Wouldn't you do the same for whatever club you support?

Their are examples elsewhere. But Club or Country is a tough one for me in a personal sense. I have followed Scotland and Falkirk for a very long time. With due thought it would be country but it would be a heartbreaking decision to make.

Believe me when I say I do not envy WS this decision or the fall-out which will envitably follow.

Their are examples elsewhere. But Club or Country is a tough one for me in a personal sense. I have followed Scotland and Falkirk for a very long time. With due thought it would be country but it would be a heartbreaking decision to make.

Believe me when I say I do not envy WS this decision or the fall-out which will envitably follow.

I am glad you understand how tough a decision it is for him but he has done alot for Scotland and has got the pride back into the national team, so for that reason i don't think he should be criticised for going to Rangers. And there is no reason that someone can't now come in to the Scotland team and build on what Walter has done to improve us even further and challeng for a place in Euro 08.