Following on from Danny's Thread

nvager

Danny asked that question last week.

Well I must say that although the jury is very much out I think a verdict will be in by the end of January.

As we all know we have a very tough month with games almost every 4 days and including games that were postponed and a SC tie. If we are successful we could have a 7 point lead - maybe- at the end of January.

We CAN do this and I feel that Walter in the game against Hibs at long last had the team playing football again. The reason for this in my opinion was twofold. Firstly he played both Hemdani and Thomson in front of his defence in midfield so that Barry could just play from the middle and forward. Secondly he had two footballers with trickery and pace on each wing who with Barry could create chances. D Cousin up front had a better day and scored a terrific goal.

We dominated midfield for once and also were creative. That is NEW this season.

We may be even better with JCD either up front in lieu of Cousin or with Cousin, but WHO would drop out?

Anyway I am more enthusiastic again - good football - effective football, where 4-2-3-1 easily becomes 4-5-1 or 4-3-3 or 4-2-4!

Furthermore Novo and Buffel are ready as is Gow to assist in midfield.

Questiond that really comes to mind is - what do we do with McCulloch and Adam? In my opinion they do not fit into this system too easily as they are rather STATIC, but they do add strength.

Is our squad really that deep? I still think we can be improved and at fullback, CB, midfield and striker. We are not in bad shape nevertheless, but yes this month (and the next few games vs Celtic) and then the verdict will be known.

I am guilty of being optimistic once again.

Lets get going for the kill. We can do this.

:bouncy: :bouncy: :bouncy:

I'll wait to see who we sign before saying anything

That will be an indication on how serious SDM is in his desire for Rangers to turn this corner

A wee turnaround in success coupled with increased capacity could see a period of domination in par with the early 90's

I hate threads like this, people say we've turned a corner then we feckin lose the next game :rolleyes:

He said the jury is out though. All he did was praise the display at Hibs and hopes for more of the same via the same system.

I hate threads like this, people say we've turned a corner then we feckin lose the next game :rolleyes:

He said the jury is out though. All he did was praise the display at Hibs and hopes for more of the same via the same system.

I know, was just having a pessimistic moment. We are a lot more consistant these days, and burke and naismith have added some much needed flair

I know, was just having a pessimistic moment. We are a lot more consistant these days, and burke and naismith have added some much needed flair

We are 7 games unbeaten since Utd. Or is it 8 now. Anyway, the results are starting to solidify for sure. Have to hope it continues.

we still need 3 players imo but compared to the last 2 seasons we are in tremendous shape get a left back an attacking midfielder and a new striker and we could be a really good team

Very much agree, but we also need a new CB as Weir is on his last top class saeason. His legs are going.

The reason for this in my opinion was twofold. Firstly he played both Hemdani and Thomson in front of his defence in midfield so that Barry could just play from the middle and forward. Secondly he had two footballers with trickery and pace on each wing who with Barry could create chances. D Cousin up front had a better day and scored a terrific goal.

We dominated midfield for once and also were creative. That is NEW this season.

:bouncy: :bouncy: :bouncy:

Anyone else think Barry going forward is what's been missing in so many games this season? It has infuriated me in loads of games this season to see him playing as a defensive midfielder in a 5 man midfield. When he gets forward he makes an impact, as against Hibs, and also in one run against Lyon (when he cut the ball in to JCD for THAT miss doh )

With Barry making direct runs at defenses, and a bit of trickery on the wings, we are a far more threatening team.

Long may it continue :rangers:

Well Walter kept the same team and we got another 3 points.

TOP OF THE LEAGUE once more and a game in hand.

We CAN win this league. No doubts about it.

As I said in my initial post - the jury is out - BUT we are looking more consistent

I'm happy with the current system of a 4-5-1 breaking into a 4-3-3 when attacking. However, when McCulloch and Adam are playing it just won't work to the same extent it has with Burke and Naismith. I'm happy with Burkes' performances since he's returned to the first team. If he can improve even further then I'd change my mind on him. He's an exciting player to watch and his pace and trickery can be a nightmare for left backs.

We need a goalscorer with pace, who can link up play aswell as having the right attitude. A look at our squad and you'll realise it's hard to find players like that with all those qualities. We have Boyd who is an out-and-out goalscorer without offering much else - although his hold-up play has significantly improved in recent months. Cousin who can link up play but doesn't seem to have the best of attitudes and wants a move away. Darcheville seems to be the best of all but he's far too injury prone. Novo has pace and a great work rate but at times lacks conviction.

I really rate young Steven Lennon. That is only on youth performances though but I saw a talented youngster who had pace, good finishing and desire to play for Rangers. He brings others into play and can score the odd spectacular effort aswell. I don't know if Smith will give him his chance based on previous - I hope he does and I hope Lennon takes it.