The Buffel Enigma

WaltersGotStyle

Hey

I know this topic has been discussed many a time however I still cannot get my head around the fact that Thomas Buffel

has not been let anywhere near the first team, I realise there is an under 21 rule but surely Buffel has that little bit of guile

in the midfield that could really make Rangers that little bit more productive in the final third. Surely there must be more to

this situation, we all know Smith is going for a robust approach and does not care how we win matches but as long as we win

but I remember a time where we had the likes of Gascoigne and Laudrup to turn to, now who have we got. In now way am I saying

Buffel is anywhere near the standard of the afore mentioned, but surely he is of that mould, a man you can turn to provide that

little spark when a game is not going our way.

What do you guys think?

http://forum.rangersmedia.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=40507

:)

You make more than a valid point about Laudrup and Gazza, so why not a similar kind of player in Buffel.

But also remember Smith was boss of the national team and seems to have brought that robust and unflashy management to Ibrox whereby any creative player is generally lower priority.

But if you overlook Buffel's creative qualities, you're still left with a quick, mobile and clever player who can score goals. Smith could play him as part of a front 2 if he wanted. It worked incredibly well alongside PL.

But somehow Smith just won't touch him.

It's saddening.

It's saddening.

It would be saddening to me if we were losing games and playing badly and he was not willing to change it and give him a chance.

But we are playing well and winning games, this is the best run of games we have had in ages.

I trust Walter in this one, if he sees him day in day out and isnt convinced that hes worth changing the team/system for then thats good enough for me...........

........... as long as we keep winning.

:pipe:

Welcome by the way!

I think WS just doesn't like him, possibly clash of personality and wants rid of him as soon as possible. It happens to lots of players from different teams around the world. A sad fact but it happens, look at last season with PLG and Fergie.

True, but remember Fergie was the captain and very outspoken both on the pitch and off. Very easy to clash with such a big personality.

Buffel occasionally talks to the press but he didn't resort to that till months into the season and continued ignoring by Smith.

If it's a clash of personality, I find it curious given Buffel's fairly tepid nature.

Thanks Poetry in Blue,

This has been a topic that has been annoying me for a long time, being in my early 20s I try to tell my younger brother about the times of Laudrup and Gascoigne I just fear that type of football at Rangers will never come around again. It makes me sad to think that we may have a great player in our midst whom we dont use.

Welcome by the way!

I think WS just doesn't like him, possibly clash of personality and wants rid of him as soon as possible. It happens to lots of players from different teams around the world. A sad fact but it happens, look at last season with PLG and Fergie.

True, but remember Fergie was the captain and very outspoken both on the pitch and off. Very easy to clash with such a big personality.

Buffel occasionally talks to the press but he didn't resort to that till months into the season and continued ignoring by Smith.

If it's a clash of personality, I find it curious given Buffel's fairly tepid nature.

:lol: How the hell would you know he has a tepid nature?

He could be the most arrogant arsehole ever behind the doors of Murray Park!

Speculation....

Hey

I know this topic has been discussed many a time however I still cannot get my head around the fact that Thomas Buffel

has not been let anywhere near the first team, I realise there is an under 21 rule but surely Buffel has that little bit of guile

in the midfield that could really make Rangers that little bit more productive in the final third. Surely there must be more to

this situation, we all know Smith is going for a robust approach and does not care how we win matches but as long as we win

but I remember a time where we had the likes of Gascoigne and Laudrup to turn to, now who have we got. In now way am I saying

Buffel is anywhere near the standard of the afore mentioned, but surely he is of that mould, a man you can turn to provide that

little spark when a game is not going our way.

What do you guys think?

I think that Buffel should be give a bit of a run , we have no creativity behind the strikers and I think he may well provide it.Also the boy has had surgery to correct a long term knee problem that he had, who is to say that the problem wasn't holding him back and he will now be a better player,one thing is for sure ,we will never know unless he is given a chance .

It's saddening.

It would be saddening to me if we were losing games and playing badly and he was not willing to change it and give him a chance.

But we are playing well and winning games, this is the best run of games we have had in ages.

I trust Walter in this one, if he sees him day in day out and isnt convinced that hes worth changing the team/system for then thats good enough for me...........

Fair points but remember Buffel was equally out of the picture when we were playing very inconsistently and losing to the likes of Utd.

I don't think it's quite as black and white as you say; after all, Smith seems to jiggle around with the attack formation on a matchly basis (Naismith/Cousin/Boyd/JCD in out) - yet never involving Buffel.

It's saddening.

...and therein lies the crux. (tu)

Welcome by the way!

Speculation....

He could, but I really don't see it.

In every interview he's come across as very mild mannered without any airs or graces.

He could be a monster behind closed doors, but it's unlikely.

Fair points but remember Buffel was equally out of the picture when we were playing very inconsistently and losing to the likes of Utd.

I don't think it's quite as black and white as you say; after all, Smith seems to jiggle around with the attack formation on a matchly basis (Naismith/Cousin/Boyd/JCD in out) - yet never involving Buffel.

Buffel plays at his best just behind the strikers, Walter seems to prefer having two wide men.

He probably doesnt feel that Buffel is good enough to change his system for.

As I said, as long as we keep winning I wont lose any sleep over it!

Buffel plays at his best just behind the strikers, Walter seems to prefer having two wide men.

I do, every night :(

Welcome by the way!

Speculation....

He could, but I really don't see it.

In every interview he's come across as very mild mannered without any airs or graces.

He could be a monster behind closed doors, but it's unlikely.

The point is though, we dont know.....

You dont have to be an arsehole to clash personalities with someone, these things just happen.

Novo and Darcheville get played wide whilst it's not their natural position.

I do, every night :(

Cheer up, at least Cousin is still here for the moment.

Novo and Darcheville get played wide whilst it's not their natural position.

True, but Novo and Darcheville are more adaptable than Buffel IMO.

Ive never seen him have a good game out wide, he plays well behind the strikers.

Another Buffel debate, excellent I've been missing them :D

To fit Buffel into the current set up we would have to drop Charlie Adam or KT when he is back and ask Fergie to play deeper, and then play Buffel in the role that Fergie plays but try and have him pushed further forward as much as possible.

Drop Adam, play midfield of Fergie, Hemdani and Buffel...

Drop Adam, just play the two in midfield... :pipehorse:

I can see this is a very hot topic, If it helps I was speaking to a friend who was at a reserve match at broadwood a few weeks ago and the first thing he said was that he did not know how Buffel is not playing because he was awesome, I think he scored tow and set up one, if anyone has any idea what game this was Id appreciate any feedback.

I've seen one or two reserve matches. Buffel looks excellent.

To refuse to accommodate that is just plain stupid imo.

Big deal - change the formation for it - plenty teams do so to accommodate their best players.

That's what management is.

Nah, I think Smith just doesn't like him, period.

I've seen one or two reserve matches. Buffel looks excellent.

To refuse to accommodate that is just plain stupid imo.

Big deal - change the formation for it - plenty teams do so to accommodate their best players.

That's what management is.

Nah, I think Smith just doesn't like him, period.

Sakes

:P