Broadfoot On McGeady

Davy

by Darrell King

KIRK BROADFOOT knows he could be charged with one of the biggest tasks in Rangers' mission to win the second Old Firm game of the season this weekend.

And the big defender admits he will relish the challenge of trying to shackle Celtic's dangerman Aiden McGeady should the duo lock horns at Ibrox.

Broadfoot's predecessor Alan Hutton - now at Spurs - spoke this week about how he'll miss the opportunity to once again take on the Irish winger, who has been so influential for Gordon Strachan's side this season.

But - depending on how Walter Smith goes in terms of his defensive selections - it could now be the former St Mirren man's job to try and come out on tops with the Parkhead star.

"Hopefully I will be picked for Saturday, it would be a massive thing for me to be involved in my first Old Firm game," Broadfoot said. I've watched loads of games in the past on TV, but to get out on the pitch and actually play in one would be something special.

"It is one of the biggest derby matches in the world and, as a player, you dream of playing on that stage.

"In saying that, it will only be a good experience if we win the game and we know that will be very difficult. Celtic have a lot of good players, and Aiden has been a stand-out for them this season.

"If I am playing, I will more than likely be marking him so I will need to be at the top of my game."

The defender added: "I came up against him a few times when I was at St Mirren and he is a top quality player.

"He is very tricky, fast and direct so it will be a tough test, but one that I would relish if given the opportunity.

"As a player, you want to come up against the best. And he has proved that he is up there."

Rangers have triumphed in the last three Old Firm meetings without losing a goal.

However, as boss Smith has pointed out this week, two of those matches were played out after Celtic had more or less secured the title.

The last outing at Ibrox in October, which Rangers won 3-0, was a huge psychological boost for the Light Blues as it came in a match that really mattered.

However, despite going on a stunning run of SPL form after that - which has yielded Rangers 49 points from the last 17 games - Celtic have themselves been on a solid run and remain just three points behind, albeit with an extra game played.

As Broadfoot said, in the Rangers News: "Celtic are the current champions and are also on a good run, so we will need to play very well to win.

"To beat our main rivals would give everyone a massive lift, and it would be a huge boost for us at this stage of the championship.

"Although we have won the League Cup and are going strong in Europe, the SPL title has always been the bread and butter for us and we want to win it.

"The run we have been on has been magnificent. But Celtic have been bang on our heels which shows the determination they have.

"It is going to be a tight end to the season, but if we can win this match at the weekend, it would set us up well."

The 23-year-old has admitted he's never known such an intense spell of football, but he is determined to stay in the team after playing 13 successive matches since Hutton's £9m departure to London.

There has been a lot of talk about tired legs in the Ibrox camp - the weekend clash will be their 51st game of the season - but Broadfoot is feeling fine and points out that he didn't play a lot of first-team football until February.

He added: "I was out of the team for a long spell after playing in the first couple of weeks.

"So I am quite happy to have the games coming thick and fast. The most important thing for the players in between games is rest.

"We are all going into ice-baths and getting massages so we can loosen up between games, and the training is obviously not as high tempo as it has been.

"But you get that adrenaline rush and we just want to play - especially when you have Old Firm games like this."

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/sport/displa...dy_in_check.php

I think that if Broadfoot is a true Bear, he can shut down McGeady.

The mind is capable of great things when you give it a reason too. For any player in a Gers top, they can succeed at this specific assignments if they believe enough...and not to mention hate Celtc.

In the first five minutes Big Kirk has to clatter the plastic paddy and put him 7 feet up in the air just to let him know hes there.

Spot on m8

One good dig at him then the we tit will be running scared for the rest of the game

Whoever is picked to play against McWeedy, as long as they put in a "hard but fair" tackle early doors, i reckon the wee tattie picker will shit himself and be reluctant to attack for the rest of the game. Let's get into this shower of sh**e RANGERS!! :rangers:

In the first five minutes Big Kirk has to clatter the plastic paddy and put him 7 feet up in the air just to let him know hes there.

As most defenders should do!

Just smash him the first time he gets on the ball