McGarvey on Old Firm Game

outlaw69uk

Saw this while am trying to avoid working, and, quite surprised me

Carlos Cuellar is key to Old Firm clash, says Frank McGarvey

Mar 28 2008 By Neil Cameron

FRANK McGARVEY knew how to find a way past even the most stubborn defenders during his glittering Celtic career.

McGarvey's 113 goals in 245 appearances for the Parkhead club in seven trophy-laden seasons testify to that.

But the Celtic hero fears that no matter which strike force Gordon Strachan sends out in tomorrow's Old Firm showdown, they will struggle to get the better of Rangers defender Carlos Cuellar.

It gives McGarvey no pleasure to rate the Spaniard as the best player he has seen in Scotland this season.

The former striker is still as a big a fan of the Hoops as he was during his successful stint with the club.

But he believes that even Celtic hero Aiden McGeady has been overshadowed by Player of the Year contender Cuellar, who has hardly put a foot wrong since he arrived at Ibrox.

McGarvey is convinced Celtic will need to score at least once just to draw because he feels the defence can't guarantee a clean sheet.

He would opt for a front two of Scott McDonald and Georgios Samaras.

But he is not sure if even that combination will be good enough to outwit 26-year-old Cuellar and his sidekick Davie Weir.

McGarvey said: "For me, Cuellar has been the star of the season. What a signing the big guy has been. He looks so comfortable in every game.

"He's big, strong and a good footballer. Walter Smith must be delighted with him.

"Cuellar also has Davie Weir beside him and not much has got past the pair all season.

"Rangers have been successful because of their defence and Cuellar has been the main reason for that.

"He has a bit of class about him and, for me, has been the best player in Scotland this season.

"Celtic didn't give him much to worry about in the first Old Firm game but they have to cause him a few problems this time.

"I just don't see Celtic keeping a clean sheet. They have had a problem doing that away from home for two years - and it's Ibrox they are going to.

"They may have to score twice to win so must give the Rangers defence a real game of it. That means playing Samaras from the start."

Every build-up to an Old Firm game is the same - fans, former players and pundits pick the managers' teams for them.

McGarvey is not alone when he insists that if Celtic are to stand a chance of emerging from Govan with a victory, Greek striker Samaras should get the nod ahead of Strachan's favouredJan Vennegoor of Hesselink.

Incredibly, of the current crop of Parkhead players, only McGeady and Bobo Balde have scored in the Old Firm fixture. Thomas Gravesen, on loan at Everton, is the only other on the books to boast a goal against Rangers.

McGarvey said: "Strachan has to go with Samaras. He could be Celtic's saviour. He is full of confidence, has come off the bench and scored good goals so it's time he got a start.

"Samaras can make the ball stick when it's played to him. Vennegoor of Hesselink can't do that and the ball comes right back at Celtic.

"Given the choice between the two, I know who I would go with for what is the most important game of the season.

"Samaras gives Celtic something different in terms of his overall play. He will look to take on players, go on dribbles or have a shot from distance. No other forward is really doing that.

"McDonald should be overjoyed with his season and ought to play beside Samaras. That's only right.

"Celtic need goals and I'm not sure Vennegoor of Hesselink will get them. It's just not happening for him. He doesn't give enough movement to the midfielders and can't hold the ball.

"For two years it has been difficult for Celtic to keep a clean sheet away from home.

"So I just can't see Rangers not scoring. That means Celtic having to get two of their own.

"It's a big decision for the manager about who to go for because this is do-or-die for him."

McGarvey the Celtic supporter is an optimist but exudes a feeling that he fears the worst for Celtic.

He pointed out that Rangers have not been playing brilliant football. But Celtic are hardly in any fit state to take full advantage of that at Ibrox.

McGarvey said: "I usually have a good idea how an Old Firm game will go but this one? I haven't a clue.

"One thing for sure is that if Rangers win then it's all over for Celtic. That might even be the case if it's a draw and that could be Celtic's best hope.

"Rangers aren't playing great. They were lucky to draw with Partick Thistle last week.

"They've had two games every week, big European matches and then extra time in the CIS Cup Final. That has taken its toll.

"Walter Smith doesn't have the biggest squad and can't keep it going. It's going to hit them sooner or later.

"The big question is whether Celtic can take advantage. My answer to that is that I really don't know. There just might be too many problems in Strachan's team.

"Look at what is happening down in England. Arsenal were top for so long but then Manchester United and Chelsea got some momentum. That is so important.

"I thought that was happening to Celtic when they put five past Kilmarnock and then Aberdeen.

"But they have no momentum at all to put pressure on Rangers. They failed to score a goal against Dundee United and Aberdeen, both home games. That shouldn't happen to any Celtic team.

"I would love to say Celtic will win but I'm not sure."

If Samaras is a definite starter for McGarvey, then he would have one significant other player included in the line-up.

He said: "For the life of me, I can't believe why Strachan wouldn't play Bobo Balde. I'm not sure whether he is injured or not but if he is fit then he should be playing.

"There is a lot of pressure on the manager right now and Balde is a guy for these games. I'd feel more confident for Celtic if the big man was playing."

Just as Rangers feel with Cuellar in their ranks.

http://www.<No links to this website>/sport/2008/03...86908-20365408/

He's a joiner now, he comes into Bills Tool Store from time to time and gets stick off of all the blue noses I work with including myself. but generally hes pretty sound, and keeps a level head when it comes to rangers and celtic. He certainly aint no Charlie Nicholas(bitter little man).

i just dont see celtic keeping a clean sheet..... wise words from a tim of all people. I dont see them keeping a clean sheet either so as long as we keep it tight at the back and king carlos is brilliant as usual then we shouldnt have a problem winning this one.

Aye, really astounded me given the author. I had to check the date to make sure it wasnt 1st April!!

Pretty much spot on I think, I dont see us not scoring tomorrow, and, our defence really is great at the moment.