Tonight

CSta

I've seen alot of negative comment about the game tonight which has confused me a bit. I thought rangers played pretty well tonight and were definately the better side. They were unlucky not to score as they were putting pressure on all night! I do think that Boydy should have been played however, and am bemused by the fact Walter didn't put him on. I think Sporting Lisbon are very underrated over here, they are a great team and were never going to be a pushover. I predicted 1-1 for tonights game, so it's not that bad, i just hope to hell we can win over there!

WATP

I totally agree for most part of thematch we did look the better side, Darcheville looked lively, Thomson was everywhere and Davis was a totally different player in the second half however... (now here comes the negatives)

Ferguson had a very poor game,

Hemdani was a yard off the pace,

We played a 4-5-1 with no natural wingers,

Weir looked a little nervous and resorted to too many long balls

They were there for the taking yet Walter refused to make any changes...

I totally agree for most part of thematch we did look the better side, Darcheville looked lively, Thomson was everywhere and Davis was a totally different player in the second half however... (now here comes the negatives)

True, true, but i still think the reason SL are going home with a draw is because of how well they defended. They were on the end of almost everything!

True, true, but i still think the reason SL are going home with a draw is because of how well they defended. They were on the end of almost everything!

Again I agree mate, I thought some players were terrible but... hey if thats them playing terrible and yet we still got a draw, with cousin back and the boys fired up we should be able to go through.

WATP! :rangers:

We were the better team just not good enough

We simply didnt have the personnel out on the pitch to pose them enough problems, nowt to do with 451 just the selection and the lack of utilsing our subs i'm afraid.

The only thing i was disappointed with is that everyone was knackered. But most of em have played 50+ games and its starting to show. With a fully fit XI we would have played alot better. Like we did in the Bremen game, we played outstanding that night and made a good team look extremely average. Today we made an extremely average team look like a good team IMO

We did NOT play well at all. No creativity or pace whatsoever and looked tired the whole night. Weir gave away a stupid foul and will miss the return.

It was a downer for me.

cheer up nvager you have had bigger downers than tonight but as you know we will always be there for the team. (tu)

We did NOT play well at all. No creativity or pace whatsoever and looked tired the whole night. Weir gave away a stupid foul and will miss the return.

It was a downer for me.

But the fact we're still playing for 4 trophies should lift your spirts right back up again, Rangers are doing exceptionally well just now, ok they didn't win tonight, but they didn't lose either, all is still to play for!

It was a downer for me.

cheer up nvager you have had bigger downers than tonight but as you know we will always be there for the team. (tu)

Too True, tonight was a weird feeling, so depressed at the final whistle a feeling of a missed oppertunity but somewhat optimistic about the away game (the scum cannae say that in europe) :craphead:

i read all pre-match anylisis and i think Rangers fans dont know Sporting..

Soo underrater!!

Sporting in champions gave show against Roma(very unlucky) and a few moments vs UTD

Sporting have players like Polga,Veloso,Moutinho,Vuckcevic and Liedson..even in poor form is not so much bad as a they think

(sorry my weak english)

i read all pre-match anylisis and i think Rangers fans dont know Sporting..

Soo underrater!!

Sporting in champions gave show against Roma(very unlucky) and a few moments vs UTD

Sporting have players like Polga,Veloso,Moutinho,Vuckcevic and Liedson..even in poor form is not so much bad as a they think

(sorry my weak english)

Sporting can move the ball well, although I was disappointed with the Rangers performance. We will have to improve next week, thats for sure.

It was a drab, drab game.

I think we all agree 4-5-1 does work pretty effectively but when our midfield are so bad, creativity is non-existent, support in attack patchy so chances and/or goals very unlikely.

Really very little to talk about but 0-0 isn't the worst result in the world and Sporting didn't look all that much to be afraid of for the second leg. I actually thought they defended pretty well and worked very hard to stifle the likes of Davis and/or Ferguson.

The latter really is dreadful at the moment. His minimal work-rate and poor positioning really doesn't help the system. Paradoxically though, whenever he doesn't play, we seem to miss him. Thought Papac and Cuellar were our best players while Lee McCulloch was arguably our most dangerous - although he did disappear somewhat in the second period.

I don't blame anyone for being annoyed with the performance last night. But I think some need to retain an element of perspective in their criticisms.

I agree; many fans seem to forget that Sporting were Champions League opposition. I'm disappointed to see Davie Weir missing the return leg, but I think having drawn nil-nil, we are in a stronger position than them.

However, I'm concerned about Walter's tactics. Given that we basically have to play them over ninety minutes and either beat them or match them with a score draw, our lack of attacking bite is beginning to concern me. I always thought that our overly defensive play was going to number our days in the UEFA cup, though I've continuously pointed at Greece as a successful equivelant in their European Championship win.

In other words, the opportunity is there, but if we stick with the same defensive mindset and show a similar lack of invention as we did not only last night but in many of the previous ties, then I think it's party over.

In other words, the opportunity is there, but if we stick with the same defensive mindset and show a similar lack of invention as we did not only last night but in many of the previous ties, then I think it's party over.

Undoubtedly.

In saying that though, last night it wasn't a case of being overly defensive. We did try to get forward but just didn't have the quality required to break down Sporting. With Davis, Ferguson and Thomson all below par, we lost possession too often and were totally devoid of creativity.

I'd like to think these players will improve ten-fold for the away leg next week.