Lee McCulloch

LEE McCULLOCH hopes to play against Dundee United on Saturday and put himself in contention for a UEFA Cup final slot.

Lee McCulloch The former Wigan midfielder resumed training after an ankle injury this week and Walter Smith had hoped to use him against the Arabs at some point.

Having suffered no adverse reaction, the 29-year-old remains on course to feature against Craig Levein's men, most likely as a substitute.

Doing so would then give him a chance of turning out against Zenit St Petersburg at the City of Manchester Stadium on Wednesday night.

McCulloch said: "I trained today and I feel all right so hopefully I'll be able to play some part in the game at the weekend.

"It will be up to the manager to pick me as I think I'll be fit which is great because two weeks ago, I thought my season was over.

"Now I've got a wee bit of hope to cling on to and getting a run-out on Saturday would be brilliant from a personal point of view.

"I've trained for three days now and I'm feeling good although to be honest, playing any part of the season at all would be good.

"Initially, I was told my foot was broken but then when the swelling went down after a couple of days, I had a scan and it turned out the bone was only bruised."Walter Smith

Getting McCulloch back is a further boost for Walter Smith, whose squad has been somewhat depleted in recent weeks because a number of players have had knocks.

After Charlie Adam came back in the closing stages of yesterday's 1-0 win over Motherwell, the manager is pleased to have more options opening up to him.

Smith added: "We have a couple of players who have been out for a while, including DaMarcus Beasley, Charlie and Lee.

"The last two are just coming back and we will have to keep assessing their fitness, although Charlie played a bit of the game yesterday.

"Lee will hopefully play a part of the game on Saturday and that would leave us free to select him, if necessary, on Wednesday.

"He had always hoped to be back before the end of the season and even if that was in the last week, there would still be four games to play."

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Whittaker is better in midfield.

Na i would rather McCulloch in midfield maybe put Whittaker out on the right wing.

Whittaker, can dribble with the ball as showed against Fiorentina and be a threat. Better than Lee.

Mr McCulloch will always be more of a hinderance than a help IMO.

Na i would rather McCulloch in midfield maybe put Whittaker out on the right wing.

Whittaker, can dribble with the ball as showed against Fiorentina and be a threat. Better than Lee.

You don't like him, we know that, but to call him a hinderance is a touch over dramatic is it not?

You don't like him, we know that, but to call him a hinderance is a touch over dramatic is it not?

He may be used as a sub imo. I do not think he is fit enough to start either Saturday or Wednesday. I would actually prefer CA to LM. CA provides a goal and a spark at times. LM??????

No, not at all.

He often hinders us as we ferget he's playing (as he's not touched the ball for ages or done anything significant) or he turns and passes it backwards or we're crying out for some skill or pace and he can't give that.

Its really a good thing IMO that hes back, he might be an extra body but he's like a man down often anyway when hes playing.

It was also good alliteration :)

not a big fan of lee but it will be good to have him and charlie adam back( not his biggest fan either) simply because we need left sided midfielders. Whittaker is a right back ffs not a left midfielder and nacho wasnt too effective there either. Good to have some options on the left again.

not a big fan of lee but it will be good to have him and charlie adam back( not his biggest fan either) simply because we need left sided midfielders. Whittaker is a right back ffs not a left midfielder and nacho wasnt too effective there either. Good to have some options on the left again.

But bad options? Charlie can be good though admittedly

Left wing has to be a priority next season to strengthen

McCulloch has had a better seaosn than Adam

Thats not been hard this season! :lol:

I am simply amazed that a Rangers team with players of their standard has reached a European Final. There are quite a few that are not particularly good. it's simply almost beyond belief.

I rally hope DMB plays soon.

Don't rate him but at least it's another option. Welcome back McCulloch. We need as many players back as possible if we are going to win the league!

One of the main problems with McCulloch is that he's a potential red card in every game, especially if it's a tough referee. He's got himself some ridiculous yellow cards in the past few games, for example throwing in a tackle on the Lisbon keeper on the by-line. Utterly pointless.

McCulloch has had a better seaosn than Adam

Thats not been hard this season! :lol:

Yet you think adam should be considered ahead of him?

Both are pish tbh but out of anyone in the team i would rather see Lee out there.

Whittaker has been crap out there tbh. Wins feck all in the air, at least Lee will get the odd long ball.

Whittaker should be moved back into RB now and get Broadfoot to feck and Lee should be back in that left mid area because really he's the best of a bad bunch.

Not a big fan of McCulloch, but having him on the bench in the final could still be useful if we go behind and have to go for it at the end - how good are the Russians at defending set pieces?

Same for the away game at Motherwell, having seen their ability to defend corners last night - McCulloch at the back post might produce the goods.

Not a big fan of McCulloch, but having him on the bench in the final could still be useful if we go behind and have to go for it at the end - how good are the Russians at defending set pieces?

Same for the away game at Motherwell, having seen their ability to defend corners last night - McCulloch at the back post might produce the goods.

I'll agree wae that.