My Comments to Manchester Evening News

ara

...either too embarrassed ?(as I was...)

...or lazy? ...

BUT IT'S IMPORTANT TO GIVE A BALANCED PICTURE...

For what its worth, here are the comments I sent to MEN:

"I was lucky enough to have a ticket to the match. A match watched primarily by Rangers fans who were applauded by UEFA for their sporting behaviour. We were so, so shocked and disappointed when we found out that trouble had flared in Picadilly...the football didn't matter then, as we were all so proud of our supporters and the convivial atmosphere generated by the police and people of Manchester and Gers fans.

The shock and disgust that we feel for the animals involved in such scenes is too great to describe...but it is clear that many of the individuals who were involved on the CCTV clips were not Rangers fans who had been there for the day...although wearing a token hat, or scarf, these guys were wearing casual clothes (some with long sleeves)I was there for two days and only saw Gers fans in short sleeved Rangers tops or Rangers T shirts...it was clear that some had unfortunately come out later to cause trouble.

I also believe that when 200,000 turn up at any event, there is bound to be a low-life contingent who have no association with the football club and who do not know how to behave at a football event. The screen going down was unfotunate, but the suggestion that 11,000 fans were bused to The Velodrome is a joke...where did 220 busses come from? How could they travel in the crowded streets when nothing else could? Many who made this long journey found it difficult because no-one had given sufficient information on how to get there...there is video evidence of how little people got there.

Manchester's GMP were great until this event switched both sides...the back up forces were clearly given a 'no prisoner' remit and there are numerous reports of females and children knocked about early in this sordid episode. Until the trouble, the fans and GMP had an amazingly friendly rapport.

It is so very sad that a couple of hundred were allowed (by anyone) to spoil it all for a couple of hundered thousand! If they could use the best resources to chase these animals down (so called fans & trouble makers alike), we TRUE FANS will be happy to take them aside to see how hard they really are...

These people are the dregs of inner city society and I know that all Rangers fans would gladly dispose of them in one of the skips being used to clean up the city centre. In terms of event planning, I don't believe that anyone took the forecasted numbers seriously..long before it was predicted that 100-200,000 were coming and insufficient capacity was allocated.

Suggestions for Old Trafford to be used as a controlled area with screens fell on deaf ears, but surely this would have been a safer and easier option that fans would have gladly paid for? It would have been even better with such numbers to host the event outside the city centre in a large park area, suitably fenced Live8 or Glastonbury style...with screens around so that if one failed it didn't matter that much. Rangers fans would have been happy to pay £15 or so for a ticket to such an area and this charge would have prevented any random thugs from attending. I just don't understand why the hell the event was held in the City Centre itself in the first place!

Personally when I saw the police cordon, I didn't even bother trying to get to my hotel after the match...I turned into the shuttered car park where my car was off Oldham Road and slept in my car to shut out the madness ...

Thanks go out to all the great people (on both sides)- including GMP officers - who tried so hard to make this a great occassion and so nearly succeeded. It's such a shame because we were all so nearly WINNERS! Rangers websites have now had threats from Manchester based fans (no point in saying a particular team to raise tensions..)threatening retaliation ... can we not just give these idiots a nice warm acid bath?!

Frustratedly Yours A Real Rangers Fan (one of many) ara

16/05/2008 at 13:53"

If you do feel like posting a more balanced view (Celtic fans are clearly merrily doing that to paint us as complete scum on the site now) the link is:

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/new...what_went_wrong

(need to register..which is immediate)

*bump?*

Well put ara. I added my 2 cents worth as well.

Good man....it may not make a difference but we never know unless we have a crack!

:beer2:

Guest Andypendek

saw this while posting my bit, the famed Cllr. karney on the selling of cheap booze:

Councillor Pat Karney condemned the practice as “highly irresponsible†and marched into the store, ordering them to remove the booze from the shop entrance.

Councillor Karney said: “Unbelievably at Tesco they had boxes of booze at the front entrance selling at discount. It is highly irresponsible and they have let Manchester down.

“We had huge problems with this with the screening of the World Cup in Exchange Square. The police and council have asked them not to do this. They had been selling it from 6am. I have given Tesco a final warning and said that if they continue to do this they are putting their own licence to sell alcohol in jeopardy.

“To be fair to Tesco when I pointed this out to them they moved the booze straightaway, but they should not have been doing it in the first place. But I have seen loads of young men with boxes of booze in Piccadilly Gardens and Cathedral Gardens at 8.15am.

“This kind of selling encourages irresponsible drinking which in turn can lead to serious public order problems.â€

we could do with someone of his ilk up here as well.

Thanks Coop...straight after the match I went straight to the car (nearer the stadium) and got my head down - to avoid the mayhem mentally as much as physically I guess...

It's difficult to get my head round how somethin so sweet could turn so sour in an instant...

I only hope all the info on casuals obviously present doesn't fall on deaf ears because it's not what they want to hear...

Wish I'd got to meet bud... but the lads said your phone was unobtainable?...maybe in better circumstances eh bud?..

(tu)

I registered and added my comments - how long before they appear? I tried commenting on an article last night and it didn't show up at all. I wasn't even swearing or anything! ;)

I registered and added my comments - how long before they appear? I tried commenting on an article last night and it didn't show up at all. I wasn't even swearing or anything! ;)

Brilliant! (tu)

sometimes a few hours, sometimes 24..does vary...they will go on...did you vote against the European ban?..the vote has moved back in our favour and could be in the balance with a few more our way...

:clap:

So if you wear a long sleeve top you are a hooligan?What a load of scottish shit.

Every Bear that was there has a Rangers short sleeved top 'cos they were in the heat all day waiting and frying for the game...team, uniforms that day across the board!

...anyone that appeared with long sleeves came out to play games later..as seen on the videos... understand?...

Don't come on here with your first post on the bounce if you want to stay on this forum...anyway what has Scotland or Engalnd got to do with it anyway?...

:angry2:

Brilliant! (tu)

sometimes a few hours, sometimes 24..does vary...they will go on...did you vote against the European ban?..the vote has moved back in our favour and could be in the balance with a few more our way...

Where do you vote? I couldn't find it. Reading any articles on the MEN website is just pissing me off with all the negative comments. I had enough of it at work today speaking to the people in the Manchester office on the phone with their "oh so you got back home okay after wrecking our city" comments.

Brilliant! (tu)

Dead easy...on webpage bottom right corner..click hotbutton! (as you've registered to place a comment already)

:beer2:

Where do you vote? I couldn't find it. Reading any articles on the MEN website is just pissing me off with all the negative comments. I had enough of it at work today speaking to the people in the Manchester office on the phone with their "oh so you got back home okay after wrecking our city" comments.

You cant blame everything on Booze! It might bring out a persons true nature tho! The guys fighting are just thugs and wankers!!

I'd done a 12 hour shift at work,packed my clothes,left for manchester at midnight, and in piccadilly at 7am drinking all day upto and during the game(Which i eventually saw in my hotel room around the corner).I was tired and pissed like many fans,probibly like the rest of the 150,000 but you didnt see us true fans, there for a good day and to savour the occasion rioting!! (We brought a massive carryout with us anyway!!)

Political correctness pish,everyone is different,thankfully most of us were happy drunks.....more cheap booze the better for me!!!

You cant blame everything on Booze! It might bring out a persons true nature tho! The guys fighting are just thugs and wankers!!

I'd done a 12 hour shift at work,packed my clothes,left for manchester at midnight, and in piccadilly at 7am drinking all day upto and during the game(Which i eventually saw in my hotel room around the corner).I was tired and pissed like many fans,probibly like the rest of the 150,000 but you didnt see us true fans, there for a good day and to savour the occasion rioting!! (We brought a massive carryout with us anyway!!)

Political correctness pish,everyone is different,thankfully most of us were happy drunks.....more cheap booze the better for me!!!

Sorry guys i posted on wrong topic...how the fuck did that happen? I was readin summit else......maybe im a confused drunk instead!!!!

You can stick your forum up your scottish arse.Hope queens turn you over.Glad the uefa cup went to a team that qualified for it,not only got in to it because they were too shit for champs league.

Great.

Dont let the door hit your arse on the way out.

You can stick your forum up your scottish arse.Hope queens turn you over.Glad the uefa cup went to a team that qualified for it,not only got in to it because they were too shit for champs league.

Coming from a Newcastle fan, away :lol:doh

Away to fuck along with your pishy, small club.

Great.

Dont let the door hit your arse on the way out.

well said...

Enjoy another relegation battle next season (tu)

And if we ever meet again, we'll be the ones outsinging your pathetic support