Steven Davis - An Enigma

PeteLove

Steven Davis - worth the gamble?  

119 members have voted

1. 1. Y, N, U?

• Yes, go for it.
    • No, look elsewhere.
    • Undecided - will be happy with either decision.

On form, he's just what our tired midfield needed in Jan/Feb. After half a dozen games, he was as effective as a Le Guen signing.

I'm not convinced he's value for money if he's so erratic.

However, if he was a 68 year old, blind, paraplegic from Northern Ireland, then your usual FF types will consider him to be Gascoigne, Laudrup, Cooper, Baxter, Greig and George Young all rolled into one!

Get a grip.

Davis divides opinions as much on there as it does here.

Personally I feel it's hard to weigh up if he has justified the fee one way or another, he has had some excellent performances but been equally poor at times.

Wattie deciding to play him out of position doesn't really help his case, but if it is a straight swap for Cousin it's one we should accept.

I think he is good, but not great. When BF was not playing for instance at Ibrox vs PT I expected SD to control the game. He did not.

While he was very poor in the Partick Thistle game (as was every other player in a blue jersey), I think considering he'd been at the club for 2 months at most it's unfair to expect the guy to have controlled the game. Thomson was just as bad, if not worse than Davis that game.

Having said that, I think Davis is definitely worth holding onto, and when Walter eventually realises Barry's past it, Davis and Thommo could make a great centre midfield pairing.

I dont think the training regime here in that laid back either mate, we are pretty modern in our training practices

I don't know the exact details, maybe someone else could fill you in.

Yes we have one of the best training centres in Britain, but our boys do a lot less in MP than their English counterparts.

I'll try and find out more for you mate.

I was under the impression (under the guidance of adam owen) the players were put through rigorous training regimes that have all been sculpted to their own personal fitness levels and what they hope to acheive and work on etc.

On form, he's just what our tired midfield needed in Jan/Feb. After half a dozen games, he was as effective as a Le Guen signing.

I'm not convinced he's value for money if he's so erratic.

However, if he was a 68 year old, blind, paraplegic from Northern Ireland, then your usual FF types will consider him to be Gascoigne, Laudrup, Cooper, Baxter, Greig and George Young all rolled into one!

I actually posted the exact same thread on FF.

So why is it then that, after 249 votes, only 51% say yes to signing him - compared to the bigger 62% here??

Surely FF would have alot more yes's if they followed your sentiments?

I would sign him as he will fit into Walters next building phase. Thomson as the holding midfielder with Davis linking with the attack. I can see Walter bringing in a creative player alongside these two in the middle of the park and this would allow a 442 or a 433 set up which the manager has said is his next step. Wheres Barry ? Well dont be surprised if the captain plays more as a squad player next season. I honestly believe his injury has cost him a yard and the older he gets the more difficult it becomes to recover. I have always been a big supporter of Baz but I dont want him to keep getting injected and end up a cripple.He deserves better than that.

I voted Undecided, purely because it depends what position he plays, if I thought he would start in the middle it would be a definite yes, if it is to play on the right, then I think the money could possibly be better used somewhere else.

It really isn't as simple as people are making out. If we pay £3m by either swap or purchase then he has to be in the plans. I've no concern about him playing in a central 3 with Ferguson and Thomson, but never ever out right. I've also no worries about a central 3 if we are playing 2 attacking wide players as we can control as well as threaten with that formation.

But then what about goal machine Boyd.....

For another thread perhaps.

What we need to remember is that we won't play the same way in every game and WS definitely goes for versatility in the squad and Davis fits that bill.

The more interesting question for me is whether Walter will buy players to fit the system he wants to play, or see who he can get off the wishlist and adapt accordingly. I suspect the former and the answer to Davis will be hinged on that I think.

evens

I'd take him, certainly at 3M, possibly even at 4M. I don't agree we should assume that we will be playing 4-4-2 next season, with the right players a 4-3-3/4-5-1 is still possible and I think as part of a 3 with Thomson and Ferguson he would be fine (with Ferguson dropped into the deep role). I think one of the reasons we haven't played 4-4-2 much is that Smith knows that Ferguson and Thomson are not up to controlling the centre, mainly due to Ferguson's lack of mobility. I don't think we should assume that this is going to improve - Ferguson's ankle problem may never get better.

One part of his game continually overlooked, is his assists, he regularly pinches the ball off the opposition to set up a goal, twice against StMirren last week and a good few times previous.

He is a tidy player, i would keep him defo.