Steven Davis - An Enigma

PeteLove

Steven Davis - worth the gamble?  

119 members have voted

1. 1. Y, N, U?

• Yes, go for it.
    • No, look elsewhere.
    • Undecided - will be happy with either decision.

His name is Steven Davis.

He's in his early 20's, a full international and was named Villa's "Young Player of the Year", "The Fans Player of the Year" and "Player of the Year" for 2005–06. Most importantly, he is a Rangers Fan.

He has since went on to become an established EPL player, with a deserved price-tag and national appeal.

We all said it at the the time - Uncle Wattie pulled off a masterclass in securing his signature on a 6-month loan.

He came to the club, and if memory serves me right, he was named MOTM in his first 5 appearances.

At the time, I didn't post here - but FollowFollow (those of you who have posted there will know how negative the majority are) were raving about the boy.

The Gub, Paisleyprod, Adamski - all hard to please - were screaming "get the boy signed, at whatever cost" etc etc.

I agreed.

But 6 months on?? I just don't know now.

Perhaps I am being premature on this... perhaps he should have a bit more time to prove himself. But the last 3 months of his experience here has seen his performances drop damatically - almost to the point of disappearance on the pitch. I cannot recall the last time he got MOTM, although this does not matter - because I can't remember the last time I was genuinely impressed with his performances.

He started here like a dream come true. A Rangers man from Norn Ireland full of promise, flair and youth. Why then, has it went downhill recently?

His refusal to commit to any future with The Rangers also does him harm. It was accepted at first, with hope overtaking any feeling of annoyance at his stance. As the season went on however, many have adopted the approach of "who cares?"

We know what he can do, and to be fair, having played out of position since the return of Thomson has not helped him. The boy still had "flashes" of brilliance now and again in recent months - but this is something you come to expect of a 33 year old Dado Prso, Not a 23 year old Steven Davis.

It all boils down to the question - is he worth it? He's rated at £4m, we'll probably get him for £3m. His wages will be a problem as well, as they are with most players travelling north from the south. If we're looking at upwards of £16k p/w then fine... but his performances must merit it.

Davis is one that smacks me of inconsistancy - but the enigma is, I really can't put my finger on whats up with him.

I don't know if his problem is actually inconsistancy, or the fact that he is played out of position, or the fact that, like Lee McCulloch, he simply is not suited to the more "laid back" training regime offered at Murray Park compared to the EPL counterparts (e.g. see McCullochs early performances after heading here from Wigan, compared to the latter.)

I say this - if he turns up next season and plays to even 75% of what he initially offered us, then fair enough - he is worth it. We are in the market for a playmaker, and we already know what he can do.

If he continues to play as he has done recently, then £3m and £20k wages would be a big mistake.

I ask the people of RM - is it worth it??

Hell, I'll even include a poll.

Most importantly he is a quality footballer.

It has absolutely nothing to do with the fact hes a bluenose.

Kirk Broadfoot is a big bluenose, but I dont want him anywhere near the starting 11

Missed the point completely.

I didn't mention anywhere that him being a bluenose was of upmost importance.

Sure its a factor, of course it is, but that was nowhere near the point of my thread.

Guest therabbitt

I dont think the training regime here in that laid back either mate, we are pretty modern in our training practices

I dont think the training regime here in that laid back either mate, we are pretty modern in our training practices

I don't know the exact details, maybe someone else could fill you in.

Yes we have one of the best training centres in Britain, but our boys do a lot less in MP than their English counterparts.

I'll try and find out more for you mate.

I dunno, if he doesnt play as a right winger then yes, he will never play while barry and thommo are at the club, would it be a waste to have him come to us and rot in the reserves, I do rate him and in the 5 man midfield I would of put davis in Barrys role and had Barry drop deep,

When playing in his proper position i think he would be terrific for us, i would rather we spent the money on a player that has an idea about scottish football

Most importantly he is a quality footballer.

It has absolutely nothing to do with the fact hes a bluenose.

Kirk Broadfoot is a big bluenose, but I dont want him anywhere near the starting 11

I put undecided, seems ok, but, then again, how difficult is it to look good in a side with broadfoot, McCulloch, Adam, Cousin, Dailly?

Would Davis still look so good in a side with Gio, Albertz, Reyna, De Boer etc when they played for us?

I would wager not. Decent player, but, for me, of those listed above, his style reminds me of Reyna, but, Reyna was more productive, even when played out wide. If we keep Davis, he wouldnt be a first pick for me, or at least, we should be buying players that would be better than that

I'm undecided, mainly for the same reason as Adam cites. If Walter does move to a more attacking 4-4-2 where will Davis play? He's not a wide player and shows very little sign that he could develop into one. I have the feeling Walter will go with Ferguson & Thomson in the middle, therefore Davis might be consigned to the bench for long spells. :unsure:

I think he is good, but not great. When BF was not playing for instance at Ibrox vs PT I expected SD to control the game. He did not. I think he has shaded off big time when needed in the run-in - a huge disappointment for me as I expected better. He was poor in a lot of important games when we needed him to stand up. Played out of position though on the right wing. I like him, but would not pay 3m for him. My guess is he wants to stay in the EPL.

Possibly pre-season training at Murray Park might help him, as he seemed to run out of steam, which is not suprising considering he tries to cover every blade of grass also if the squad of players is in proved it may cut down his running or maybe given him occasional rest. The fact he`s got a bigheart, dig, and a willingness to play for the jersey is a major factor unlike others we might bring in

I say go for it, get Fergie in the holding midfield role and let him play in the role he is supposed to be best at in the AM role and then see what he can do.

My sentiments exactly (tu)

On form, he's just what our tired midfield needed in Jan/Feb. After half a dozen games, he was as effective as a Le Guen signing.

I'm not convinced he's value for money if he's so erratic.

However, if he was a 68 year old, blind, paraplegic from Northern Ireland, then your usual FF types will consider him to be Gascoigne, Laudrup, Cooper, Baxter, Greig and George Young all rolled into one!

he isn't average at all, u saw him on good form in the centre of midfield and thats where his best games were, his worst games when he was slung onto the right wing. GET HIM SIGNED is all am gonna say on this. Dont know WHY people are even bashing this guy, a bluenose who when playedi n the right position is possibly the best central midfielder we have.