Scotland squad announced for Northern Ireland friendly

Boab

Of course there are some like Don Hutchison or Dominic Matteo or Stuart McCall who have an affinity with Scotland but have an english accent and thats fine but these guys above are just opportunists IMO.

You really don't like the English do you?

Nothing to do with not liking the english. Not at all.

I'm looking at it this way.

Put it this way, we have so many development officers across Scotland and say 5-7 years after coaching a kid they see that kid doing well as a professional and on the verge of a call-up to the Scotland team and then suddenly we have a English or whatever brit coming along that stumbles on a Papa who was born in Scotland and gets called up instead of the guy whos grew up in Scotland all his life instead dreaming of a call-up, for talking sake, an english player who can't get past Micah Richards or Wes Brown and Scotland is convenient.

How does that young Scottish home grown lad feel or coach from years ago, time wasted?

If you want your country to do the best they can, and you have a legitimate player who is better than what we've got, then what's the problem?

Well I just struggle to accept the type of player I've described (tu)

How does that differ then with Rangers... you said you would accept someone who has played for Celtc if they could improve the team. Surely it is the same thing?

Of course there are some like Don Hutchison or Dominic Matteo or Stuart McCall who have an affinity with Scotland but have an english accent and thats fine but these guys above are just opportunists IMO.

Put it this way, we have so many development officers across Scotland and say 5-7 years after coaching a kid they see that kid doing well as a professional and on the verge of a call-up to the Scotland team and then suddenly we have a English or whatever brit coming along that stumbles on a Papa who was born in Scotland and gets called up instead of the guy whos grew up in Scotland all his life instead dreaming of a call-up, for talking sake, an english player who can't get past Micah Richards or Wes Brown and Scotland is convenient.

How does that young Scottish home grown lad feel or coach from years ago, time wasted?

If you want your country to do the best they can, and you have a legitimate player who is better than what we've got, then what's the problem?

Well I just struggle to accept the type of player I've described (tu)

How does that differ then with Rangers... you said you would accept someone who has played for Celtc if they could improve the team. Surely it is the same thing?

That was a while back tbf, I'm not of that opinion as much now.

None, he is talking pish here!!!

If they are better than what we have we should make the most of the rules available. EVery other counttry. Give me someone like Gough, Goram etc who were not born here but are much better than the ones who were anyday.

Fair enough if these players are good enough and have the desire and will to play for Scotland and most importantly are better than we have, then fair enough lets look at them and go from there. Its good to see Thomson in there, I thought for a while that he should be in the squad. Can't wait for qualifying to begin!

Tennent's International Challenge Match

Scotland v Northern Ireland

August 20 2008, 8pm

Ticket Prices:

Family £12 & £3

Adult £15 & £20

Tickets for Scotland’s final warm up match before the start of the 2010 World Cup Qualifying Campaign go on sale to the public from 9am Wednesday 30 July.

Tickets start at just £15 for adults and £12/£3 for the family section. They are available by calling the SECC Ticket Hotline on 08444 811 818 or by logging onto www.secxtra.com. They are also available from the Hampden Park Museum Shop and the Official Scotland Shop based in Unit 41 of the Plaza Mall within East Kilbride Shopping Centre.

Speaking ahead of the public sale, Scotland National Team Coach George Burley said:

"The game against Northern Ireland will be a difficult test for us ahead of the World Cup qualifying campaign. Like us, they had a good Euros and were particularly impressive against the eventual winners of the tournament Spain.

"The backing that Scotland fans give to their team is always amazing and really helps inspire the boys on the pitch. With the prices being reduced for this game, it is an ideal opportunity for parents to bring along the kids and introduce the next generation of fans to the famous Hampden Roar.

"Everyone wants us to make it to South Africa. The game against Northern Ireland is the final part of our preparations. It will be a big night for us all."

South Africa is the destination. The 2010 World Cup is the prize.

Details: http://www.scottishfa.co.uk/index.cfm :)

You are nothing but a racist boab.

In all seriousness though, most nationalists I know are downright racist towards the English!

Well I'm certainly not anti english but I feel I made a good point about some players taking advantage of the system for convenience and stand by that.

Every time a squad is announced, I won't look for an argument but I also won't hold back either if I disagree with a selection either for whatever reason!

TBH, in a way I agree with Boab. After reading about Kris Commons he seems really excited about playing for Scotland despite being born in England and I have no problem with him being called up, I hope he impresses.

But players like James Morrison, who admitted that he accepted a call up because he didn't feel like he had a chance to play for England, I do have a problem with. So the only place he can answer critics is while playing for Scotland and if he gives his all, then fair enough. And tbh, I thought he played really well against Czech Republic, so I am willing to give him a chance.

ENGLISH winger Kris Commons last night told of his pride at being handed a shock Scotland call-up by George Burley.

The Derby County man and Falkirk defender Darren Barr were surprise inclusions in the squad for next week's friendly against Northern Ireland at Hampden.

Commons, who moved to Pride Park from Nottingham Forest this summer, has leapt on to Burley's radar after an impressive start to the season and a glowing reference from Rams boss Paul Jewell.

The 24-year-old qualifies as his grandmother was born in Dundee and insists he's thrilled at the prospect of donning the Dark Blue.

Commons said: "This is a proud moment for me. My dad and grandparents will be proud I have been called up by Scotland. My grandmother was born in Dundee although she now lives in Mansfield. We have lots of family in Scotland and go there often."

Burley said: "When I was manager at Derby I saw Kris play for Forest a lot. He's very skilful and a natural left-sided wide player. He is a good crosser of the ball and has a good goalscoring record."

Barr's inclusion is a reward for excellent progress at Falkirk and Burley added: "Darren and Christophe Berra are two young centrehalves for the future and we'll see how they progress."

http://www.<No links to this website>/sport/footbal...86908-20695573/

Least he knows where Scotland is unlike James Morrison. Still delighted for Barr.

ENGLISH winger Kris Commons last night told of his pride at being handed a shock Scotland call-up by George Burley.

The Derby County man and Falkirk defender Darren Barr were surprise inclusions in the squad for next week's friendly against Northern Ireland at Hampden.

Commons, who moved to Pride Park from Nottingham Forest this summer, has leapt on to Burley's radar after an impressive start to the season and a glowing reference from Rams boss Paul Jewell.

The 24-year-old qualifies as his grandmother was born in Dundee and insists he's thrilled at the prospect of donning the Dark Blue.

Commons said: "This is a proud moment for me. My dad and grandparents will be proud I have been called up by Scotland. My grandmother was born in Dundee although she now lives in Mansfield. We have lots of family in Scotland and go there often."

Burley said: "When I was manager at Derby I saw Kris play for Forest a lot. He's very skilful and a natural left-sided wide player. He is a good crosser of the ball and has a good goalscoring record."

Barr's inclusion is a reward for excellent progress at Falkirk and Burley added: "Darren and Christophe Berra are two young centrehalves for the future and we'll see how they progress."

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/footbal...86908-20695573/

Least he knows where Scotland is unlike James Morrison. Still delighted for Barr.

Looking forward to seeing him play (tu)

You are nothing but a racist boab.

In all seriousness though, most nationalists I know are downright racist towards the English!

Well I'm certainly not anti english but I feel I made a good point about some players taking advantage of the system for convenience and stand by that.

Every time a squad is announced, I won't look for an argument but I also won't hold back either if I disagree with a selection either for whatever reason!

Aye you did make a good point Boab and I agree with you to an extent. I too prefer homegrown players in the national team, however, if it improves the squad to include a legitimate player who was born in another country then I'm all for it.

Boab, awesome points there and I totally agree, as your all probably aware I was born England but support Scotland in rugger and the footy and If Commons has as much passion for Scotland than i do then (tu) welcome aboard, however players like James Morrison can GTF, leeches!!!

Cheers Adam and B72 (tu)

What I'm really saying is there are people who are proud and have always look forward to play for Scotland that lived here and also people who but don't live in Scotland that are proud and would like to play for Scotland (perhaps a Scottish parent or had lived in Scotland for a few years before moving as a youngster) but what I was saying I don't like is, is people who see Scotland, I'll use the same word again, a convenience, Jay McKelvey who admitted in his teenage years he'd like to England Captain one day - not the fact that it was England but not Scotland - and Morrison who admitted he'd get a better chance with Scotland than England.

The latter points aren't passion and pride but downright opportunistic.

On the actual game, I hope Barr and even Berra get the Second Half (as Caldwell and McManus will start) as too often promising youngstersget called up for a friendly and can be just given the last 20 or not get on all but then its justified as them getting the experience of being in a squad.

Skipper Aaron Hughes, Kyle Lafferty and George McCartney have pulled out of the Northern Ireland squad to play Scotland in Wednesday's friendly in Glasgow.

Fulham defender Hughes has an ankle injury while Rangers striker Lafferty came off with a hamstring problem after scoring against Hearts on Saturday.

West Ham full-back McCartney is recovering from a bout of pneumonia.

Northern Ireland boss Nigel Worthington has not brought in players to fill the void left by the trio.

Hughes was injured in Fulham's 2-1 defeat by Hull City in Saturday's Premier League opener at the KC Stadium.

Worthington may use the absence of Hughes to have a first look at Manchester United's Jonny Evans in central defence after a series of games at full-back.

McCartney is set to return to West Ham training on Monday after missing pre-season and Saturday's 2-1 league win over Wigan.

Dean Shiels and Michael Duff are back in the Northern Ireland panel for the Hampden Park game.

Hibernian midfielder Shiels won the last of his four caps 18 months ago and it is his first call-up since Worthington took over as manager.

Burnley defender Duff is back after recovering from an ankle injury.

Northern Ireland squad:

Goalkeepers: M Taylor (Birmingham City), A Mannus (Linfield).

Defenders: C Baird (Fulham), S Craigan (Motherwell), G McAuley (Ipswich Town), J Evans (Manchester United), M Duff (Burnley).

Midfielders: S Davis (Fulham), K Gillespie (Sheffield United), M O'Connor (Crewe Alexandra), S Clingan (Norwich City), C Brunt (West Bromwich Albion), D Shiels (Hibernian).

Forwards: D Healy (Fulham), P Thompson (Stockport County), W Feeney (Cardiff City – on loan at Dundee United); M Paterson (Scunthorpe United).

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/i...als/7567058.stm