Video cards

LegendofCoop

Hey!

I'm trying to upgrade my video card & have almost lost the will to live! haha!!

Mt PC's running on XP home edition and has only the bog standard graphics card! I bought COD2 4 months ago & have been searching ever since.

I bought an nVidia 5200 at first but the card slot was the wrong type, and I had to sell it. I've been looking for an Nvidia 6800, as this seems to be the recommended card for this game. I dont want to spend much more than £20 so I've been searching Ebay. I can only buy ones that have the pins over to the left hand side (if that makes ANY sense!!!).

Anyone got any tips? All the ones that are reasonably priced seem to have the pins at the wrong side of the chip & wouldn't fit my machine!

Cheers! (tu)

there are 3 graphics slot types m8 you'd need to let me know what one you have.

theres pci (usually white slots,this is the old style of graphics slot) http://www.ebuyer.com/product/113152

agp (usually brown,red,relatively old but still decent) http://www.ebuyer.com/product/146430

pci-express (can be any colour,newer type graphics cards use this) http://www.ebuyer.com/product/143110

figure out what slot you have on your motherboard first but all of these would play cod2 (tu)

if you dont want to spend more than 20quid on a graphics card then stick to what graphics you have now.

Otherwise, your just waisting your money.

what are you on about?

the guy cant play cod2 with the graphics he's got now,which means they must be pretty shit (no offence intended)the links ive provided show that for round about 20 quid he can get a decent card that will play alot more than cod2,why dont you give the guy help instead of tryin to be a smart ass? (tu)

if you dont want to spend more than 20quid on a graphics card then stick to what graphics you have now.

what are you on about?

the guy cant play cod2 with the graphics he's got now,which means they must be pretty shit (no offence intended)the links ive provided show that for round about 20 quid he can get a decent card that will play alot more than cod2,why dont you give the guy help instead of tryin to be a smart ass? (tu)

:mutley:

Good luck mate trying to get decent graphics out of those cards.

You get what you pay for.

How am i trying to be a smart ass?

Its simple, fanny.

Both of you please behave and check the forum guidelines for acceptable conduct on this forum. They're pinned at the top of Off Topic and the Bears Den.

Getting back on topic, if you want to play just COD2, EW's advice is probably sound enough. But if you want something with a bit more punch and which will last you a little longer, you will sadly need to shell out more than 20 quid.

a radeon 9250 will play cod2 no probs but probably not much else,its top of the line for pci nowadays,you dont get any higher spec

the x1650 range wether its agp or pci-e will play cod2 at max and will even play cod4 at very decent framerates,the x1650 even plays crysis ffs so ye he could get a decent card out of that lot.

fanny!! (tu)

there are 3 graphics slot types m8 you'd need to let me know what one you have.

theres pci (usually white slots,this is the old style of graphics slot) http://www.ebuyer.com/product/113152

agp (usually brown,red,relatively old but still decent) http://www.ebuyer.com/product/146430

pci-express (can be any colour,newer type graphics cards use this) http://www.ebuyer.com/product/143110

figure out what slot you have on your motherboard first but all of these would play cod2 (tu)

Solid mate! That helped me out big time. I think I know now I have PCI and nothing else! It's a white slot that sits about 3cm away from the back of the PC slot. Most cards I've seen have the pins at least double that, so I have struggled to find one that would fit! I think I'm right in saying that the Nvidia 6800 has the correct setting for me!

Cheers!!

Thanks bud. I only have whatever graphics came with the PC. Intel whatever it is, and will not play any of the new era games!

I'm resigned to getting a used one off ebay as I won't be able to afford a new card until later in the year...possibly xmas, hence the reason I'm not wanting to part with anything more than £20! I know theres a risk that the card may not work that long, but at least I'll be able to play the game.

I've played C.O.D 3 times over now and am getting severe withdrawal symtpoms!! I just wanna hear if they've still got Gunter shouting "GRENAAADDAAAA" :lol:

Thanks for all the help guys & honestly, no offence taken!! ;)(tu)

:rangers:

a radeon 9250 will play cod2 no probs but probably not much else,its top of the line for pci nowadays,you dont get any higher spec

the x1650 range wether its agp or pci-e will play cod2 at max and will even play cod4 at very decent framerates,the x1650 even plays crysis ffs so ye he could get a decent card out of that lot.

fanny!! (tu)

Im sorry but no card at £20 is going to even think about taking on crysis or cod4.

Not sure why I didn't think of doing this before, but here's a shot of the inside of my PC. I didn't actually realise that I had a black slot too. Would this be for a video or sound card by any chance, or could that be a PCI express slot???

looks like an pci-e slot to me m8 (tu) in which case your sorted theres plenty of cards available :)

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/144319

id go for this one then m8,my son has one of these in his pc and i can tell u first hand it plays counter strike source maxed out,cod4 max but no aa,crysis on low,and all other games he's thrown at it :)

Not sure why I didn't think of doing this before, but here's a shot of the inside of my PC. I didn't actually realise that I had a black slot too. Would this be for a video or sound card by any chance, or could that be a PCI express slot???

looks like an pci-e slot to me m8 (tu) in which case your sorted theres plenty of cards available :)

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/144319

id go for this one then m8,my son has one of these in his pc and i can tell u first hand it plays counter strike source maxed out,cod4 max but no aa,crysis on low,and all other games he's thrown at it :)

Cheers for all that mate!!! Really appreciate it!

Do you rate Radeon over Nvidia? I logged onto some tech forum a while back & asked what the difference was between Radeon & Nvidia, and most folk seemed to think that Nvidia were better quality & quieter!

Me, I just want one that works!!! :lol:

Cheers again bud!!!

fanny!! (tu)

No matter who this is aimed at, why have you blatantly ignored the rules again?

Don't push your luck.

depends m8,for the price your willing to pay then ati offer you the best price performance ratio (tu)

Managed to find a Geforce 6200 256mb on ebay for £10 :lol: Talk about cheap'n'nasty!! One thing I'm not sure about (whether it makes a difference or not) is that it's marked as 'Low Profile'! Would this matter?

I thought that for a tenner I can't really go wrong...as long as it works!

I'll see how I go with it & will by myself one of those ones you recommended if it goes tits up!!;)

Cheers again!

wouldnt matter about it being low profile.

is it pcie though?

According to the description it is. One thing I've just noticed though is that it doesn't have a fan, so I'll need to make sure I don't use it too long at any one time.

Also just noticed that it doesn't come with the CD or drivers, so I'll need to hunt those down! doh No wonder it was so cheap!! :lol:

its uses passive cooling,hence no fan, just so its quieter. Youll get the drivers from nvidias website.

Ah, right....cheers mate!

Thaks for the tip, I wasn't sure where to start looking! (tu)

So, looks like I didn't do too badly for my money....so long as it's working that is!!! ;)

That's not the biggest heatsink in the world, not sure how hot the 6200s ran but I'd keep a wee eye on it's temps (use GPUZ, just google it it's a tiny download) just in case.

That's not the biggest heatsink in the world, not sure how hot the 6200s ran but I'd keep a wee eye on it's temps (use GPUZ, just google it it's a tiny download) just in case.

Used to have one, they're fine.

Well, it finally arrived. However, I'm still no further forward!

I'm sorry if this sounds like a very basic question (nOOb alert!!), but do I now have to plug my monitor into the new cards socket?

I installed the card fine & it fits into the slot no problems! However, when I started up again, there was no signal on the monitor. I shut down, took the card out & restared & everything was fine!

I've checked the motherboard & I do not have any other graphics card...just the display adapters.

I would have tried plugging the monitor in, however the connector for the monitor is a different type of connector to the card socket. Is it just a case of buying an adapter for the monitor cable?

Cheers again!

yes, plug it into the new card

Also you might need to go into the BIOS and set the priority to the new card, or turn off the old one altogether.

But see if it works without that first, if it's a bit daunting!