Why do Celtic fans call us Huns?

kasabian101

I have to say I thank Kasabian for creating this topic. I always wondered what this meant but was a bit ashamed to ask. I thought it was common knowledge and i was one of the ones out of the loop. Yeah i asked my mates and they laughed like i was an idiots, although i've now come to the conclusion they were ashamed they didn't know either. lol

Cheers for all the explanations mates.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

does it not come from the press saying we are like invading armies when we were in barcelona ,, like attila and his h** army.. also the fenians was a political party in the 20,s. and ,,i,d shoot every fenian son,,

I think Fenian originally comes from a tribe of ancient (pre-Christian?) warriors.

Liked the wee quote on the wikipedia link, quote - This usage was reinforced by Allied propaganda throughout the war, and many pilots of the "RFC" referred to their foe as "The h**". The usage resurfaced during World War II.

Unfortunately it stands for the Royal Flying Corps.

does it not come from the press saying we are like invading armies when we were in barcelona ,, like attila and his h** army.. also the fenians was a political party in the 20,s. and ,,i,d shoot every fenian son,,

I think Fenian originally comes from a tribe of ancient (pre-Christian?) warriors.

I don't know how they get upset over being called this when it was themselves that set up an organisation called the Fenians.

:unionflag:

WATP

I don't know how they get upset over being called this when it was themselves that set up an organisation called the Fenians.

WATP

the fenians in irish terms were started by a protestant republican which is what baffles me about it being considered bigoted. political yes - religious no.

Republicans may be majority catholic but there are protestant republicans so anything anti republican is not anti-catholic.

I remember a song we used to sing where they were the h**, anyone remember the lines....'If I had a Tommy Gun, I'd shoot every .......... h**'

.... Just for walking down the Queen's highway .......

I remember it well during the '60s. They were the h*** and it was a throwback to the name for the enemy, related to the second World War the Germans (h***) were the enemy of the British - ironical now since the Oirish didn't side with us during the war, they were Nazi sympathisers then, how things come round with a member of the Hitler Youth now head of their church. If they only knew their history ....

I still don't get why it's okay to write "h**" but not "t*ig" on the forum.

Liked the wee quote on the wikipedia link, quote - This usage was reinforced by Allied propaganda throughout the war, and many pilots of the "RFC" referred to their foe as "The h**". The usage resurfaced during World War II.

Unfortunately it stands for the Royal Flying Corps.

I added the derogatory against Rangers line on the Wikipedia "h**" page. I also started an RSC article (as in Rangers Supporters Club), but it was removed because there "weren't any reliable third party sources".

I have never understood why the word "Tiag" is seen as such a slur...

I have catholic cousins (married in i will add haha) and their surname is Ta ig.

I cant remember the exact description he gave me, but they done one of those family tree things and tried to find out as much as he could about his ancestors and one of the things that came up was the meaning and formation of the word Ta ig.

Years ago cormack was fighting for kingship of Ireland and as a reward for helping him Ta ig son of Cain was given massive land in the north of ireland(which is now northern ireland) and as the years went on the roman catholics in the north were known as taigs as nearly all of them were descendants from his clan or whatever.

I phoned him there to ask and he rambled on about some other crap but that was the basic part which i understood.

Maybe someone with more knowledge on Irish history can clear it up.

I can see why Ta ig could be seen as sectarian but i dont think its should be seen as some taboo that must not be spoken of and is only like that as people dont have the knowledge of what it means...

It comes from an ancient celtic tribe in Ireland called Feni. Incidently there was another tribe called Scoti from which Scotland got its name.

WATP

the fenians in irish terms were started by a protestant republican which is what baffles me about it being considered bigoted. political yes - religious no.

Republicans may be majority catholic but there are protestant republicans so anything anti republican is not anti-catholic.

Point being it's more use to them as a method of MOPEism than it is as term of faction, besides they have their precious RA for that these days.

As for the term h** it is clearly an attempt to dehumanise us, always the first line of persecution ironicly.

I got pulled up for calling a sellick supporter "a f@ckin h**" when I was at primary school. Must have been 1967 or 68.

I was taken to the headmaster and given a stern lecture about bullying and swearing, but when I tried to argue that I wasn't bullying him as he was indeed a h**, I was given 6 o the tawse. I sustained a dislocated finger, which was hurriedly bandaged up, and was then sent home. My mum proceeded to leather my arse for getting into trouble.

Changed days indeed.

ps. I was 7yrs old. Yes, SEVEN!