Let him without sin...

D'Artagnan

As I said in the Tin Hat on thread.....the latest fiasco involving the famine song has reached ridiculous proportions with the intervention of a foreign government. We now learn that the Spanish consul has become involved over the threats made to Nacho Novo. You wonder where it will all end...perhaps a United Nations Special Envoy will be appointed to calm the troubled waters.

Despite what my own personal thoughts were on the famine song it is clear that is part of the ongoing Old Firm wind up and teasing.

One has to really wonder about the integrity of those who lodged this complaint.

This is from a set of fans that deem it appropriate to glorify terrorist organisations and whose club officials try to excuse it by labelling such singing as “political” rather than sectarian. Can someone tell me what is “political” about Nacho Novo being shot while he sleeps by an IRA bullet ?

And one wonders under which “political” umbrella singing about “Sad Orange Bastards” falls. I must confess that this is one political movement which to date, has managed to escape my attention.

Celtic FC, the Celtic support and the Catholic Church have been actively trying to persuade Scotland that the sectarian problem exists at only one club – ours. Remember their banner (not the one designed by a convicted IRA terrorist) “The Old Firm – Not guilty by association” ...as well as Cardinal O’Brien’s outburst at the Sectarian Summit about “punch a pape “. While Celtic FC proudly proclaim the success of their “Boys Against Bigotry” campaign...their players are caught on video phone joining in vocal support for the IRA...this of course at an official club function.

This is the same club whose supporters conduct caused a Love Street tannoy announcer to implore them to stop singing their sectarian ditties. These are not wild accusations but chronicled facts.

Small wonder then that many Bears suggest media bias when it comes to reporting such matters.

But the most telling sign of a shift comes from not within the Rangers support but from within and outside Ibrox. Martin Bain’s recent statement reveals the obvious anger which emanates from within the corridors of power at this latest set of events. This follows a statement last year from Nil By Mouth who expressed concern at what appeared to be a very one sided aspect to coverage and dealing with sectarianism.

The can be nothing more unedifying to the neutral observer than those who are guilty of a course of conduct, squealing, complaining and protesting when they are the recipients of similar conduct.

There is an old saying....People who live in glass houses should not throw stones..

Well the stone has been well and truly thrown......but I think it may well come back to haunt the original thrower.

Great post (tu)

I think this will indeed come back to haunt them. I'm not in the camp where I believe there is a general media bias against Rangers..........but I do believe that recently there has been an imbalance.

The over the top reactions of Celtic fans and, would you have believed it, the Irish Goverment has put us in a position where this is no longer tit for tat, but us very reasonably and legitimately looking to highlight this imbalance and defend ourselves.

I'm 100% behind the recent drive from our support to tackle this, and applaud Martin Bain's recent statement. We may have taken a wee knock recently, but Celtic are going to end up with a bloody nose by the time this is over.

Great post! This stuff really makes me sick. These chants need to be ended. Fans should be banned from park for few years to life time. Need some serious laws against this racism. Time to stop living in the past, move towards the future.

:shifty:

Great post! This stuff really makes me sick. These chants need to be ended. Fans should be banned from park for few years to life time. Need some serious laws against this racism. Time to stop living in the past, move towards the future.

Yes the one about Nacho Novo being shot while he sleeps is particulary offensive...dont you think ?

D'Artagnan, I agree completely. This 'holier than thou' stuff is not just irritating, I personally believe it could be very dangerous.

There is of course the smaller risk that this turns into a tit for tat, with people finally noticing the support for terrorist organisations etc.

The constant victim mentality of course fosters poverty and social isolation, just as it has in other sections of Scottish society and as it does in first nations people here and in other countries.

But I think the biggest risk is that it could finally drive a genuine divide into communities that are otherwise mostly on good terms. For all the fierce OF rivalry, Scotland has one of the highest rates of intermarriage between Catholics and Protestants in Europe, if not the world. Catholics have state funded schooling. There is some fighting after an OF game and some trouble attached to parades - theirs and ours. But nobody is locked in a church while its burnt to the ground as in other nations. Unlike in Ireland, the loyal orders are criticized but our Orange Halls are not burned to the ground.

Yet what is the lesson of history when one group starts to feel that government and justice is unduly biased to another side. And not just, "oh our day will come". But "our community has an older school" or "My flag was confiscated, but their 'foreign' flag is flying over the stadium"..

These are the sorts of issues that have fanned real sectarian conflict across the world. Not piss-take songs, but shootings, attacks on churches, etc.

If there isn't some sort of perspective brought back and if people are not convinced that justice is going both ways, I can see this getting a lot more serious than people standing angrily outside the BBC for a few hours. And God save Scotland from what happened in dear old Ulster.

why does your name have 67 in it ? :shifty:

Coop, time you were back from holiday. :shifty:

Surely someone can't be that stupid to have 67 in their name ? doh:lol::huh:

Good post mate , but I must have missed this statement.

This follows a statement last year from Nil By Mouth who expressed concern at what appeared to be a very one sided aspect to coverage and dealing with sectarianism.

When did this shower ever stick up for our side of the story.

Surely someone can't be that stupid to have 67 in their name ? doh:lol::huh:

First post as well you would think he would try to squirm his way in before being outed.

The big problem timmy has is he is brought up to believe that he is on the side of the angels ... why else would such a clearly flawed group of individuals feel free to criticise us when it's blindingly obvious to anyone with even a modicum of objectivity that in so doing they will only draw attention to their own bitterness and intolerance

The big problem timmy has is he is brought up to believe that he is on the side of the angels ... why else would such a clearly flawed group of individuals feel free to criticise us when it's blindingly obvious to anyone with even a modicum of objectivity that in so doing they will only draw attention to their own bitterness and intolerance

You're forgetting. They can sing what they like on a Saturday afternoon, go to confession on a Sunday morning, five hail Mary's and a couple of our fathers later and it never happened in their view.

Good post mate , but I must have missed this statement.

This follows a statement last year from Nil By Mouth who expressed concern at what appeared to be a very one sided aspect to coverage and dealing with sectarianism.

When did this shower ever stick up for our side of the story.

It was contained in a letter and re-affirmed in a statement by their projet director.

You're forgetting. They can sing what they like on a Saturday afternoon, go to confession on a Sunday morning, five hail Mary's and a couple of our fathers later and it never happened in their view.

I thought you were going to say that they can sing what they like on a Saturday afternoon and the mhedia will ignore it, but I guess that isn't so different from what you did write ;)