Kris Boyd "Camp 3"

bluepeter

I posted this in another thread, but in a vain attempt to end the constant (and entirely tedious) Boyd arguments, here goes.

Another Rangers game over, another Kris Boyd performance. Again, he will have his critics, and those who will sing his praises. It seems to me that people on this board fall into 2 camps:

Camp 1: He scores goals every game, he's the best goalscorer in Britain, he can do no wrong;

Camp 2: He might score goals, but contributes nothing else, he's a fat lazy bassa, etc.

In my opinion, Camp 1 can't see past his goals, camp 2 underestimate the importance of his goals.

I propose Camp 3: "Kris Boyd isn't the most gifted or hardworking player in the squad, but he scores important goals. Let's not argue about him every week."

It troubles me, frankly, to see Rangers fans argue so vehemently over 1 player every week, particularly when each side cannot (will not??) see the others' point of view.

bluepeter

McBoyd

bombaybadboy

nvager

outlaw69uk

MarkyMitch

come on the gers

jimbo1

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I posted this in another thread, but in a vain attempt to end the constant (and entirely tedious) Boyd arguments, here goes.

Another Rangers game over, another Kris Boyd performance. Again, he will have his critics, and those who will sing his praises. It seems to me that people on this board fall into 2 camps:

Camp 1: He scores goals every game, he's the best goalscorer in Britain, he can do no wrong;

Camp 2: He might score goals, but contributes nothing else, he's a fat lazy bassa, etc.

In my opinion, Camp 1 can't see past his goals, camp 2 underestimate the importance of his goals.

I propose Camp 3: "Kris Boyd isn't the most gifted or hardworking player in the squad, but he scores important goals. Let's not argue about him every week."

It troubles me, frankly, to see Rangers fans argue so vehemently over 1 player every week, particularly when each side cannot (will not??) see the others' point of view.

bluepeter

McBoyd

bombaybadboy

nvager

outlaw69uk

MarkyMitch

come on the gers

jimbo1

AndyFRFC

Blue Stars Bearette

bluepeter

McBoyd

bombaybadboy

nvager

outlaw69uk

MarkyMitch

come on the gers

jimbo1

AndyFRFC

Blue Stars Bearette

First bearette in Camp 3 - welcome (tu)

this is an interesting one. i have been a fan of boyd since day one. 15 years ago we never questioned mccoist's workrate or touch, just goals. if anything maybe chances per goals. he was, and still is the greatest scorer in rangers history.

today, we have a player, who probably is slower, less mobile, has slower work ethic and a poorer first touch than mccoist, and maybe a a few other faults.

however, when he was signed by mccliesh, he was used as an out and out front man, being supplied by prso and lovenkrands at the time, and scored 20 goals for kilmarnock and rangers, top scorer for both clubs.

when le guen came in, it was him who first brought up the debate about boyd, but for all his flaws, fall outs, etc, he was still top scorer.

last year, even walter smith publicly stating he is not the striker he wanted to use for the role he prefered last year, he again was still top scorer, basically bailing them out in two cup finals.

this year, i did think he would move on, for his sake i thought that he does not need the constant stigma surrounding him, and to find a club where he would play every week and do his thing.

but, smith has signed kenny miller, who is the opposite of boyd, a guy who works hard all day, but has a poor scoring record, to boyd, who has an excellent scoring record, but poor work rate.

i belive miller is here to partner boyd, more often than not i think, at least till january to see what happens.

i think this can work, and hope it does. if not then boyd should move on.

at this time he is second in spl history in scoring charts.

for the money paid,(400 grand i think), it not been too bad an outlay, but you would think he cost 6 mill the way the debate goes up here every week.

rangers wanted mcdonald, and were only willing to pay 400 grand, and septic were prepared to pay 700 grand, and it was this extra 300 grand which gave them 1st place last year.

mcdonald is the only player in scotland at the moment in boyd's price bracket who will score as many as him.

so, what i am saying is until boyd moves, whether he plays or as a sub, he is the top scorer since he arrived, and i think he deserves no more praise or criticsm than any other player at the club.

just my opinion.

i suppose i am in camp 3.

i think!!

cheers.

Considering we could get around £3 million for him, which in turn could be used to bring in someone who could be used in every game, i don't buy into this idealistic logic of wheeling him out for the "smaller" matches.

But yes, i do agree with your point about the weekly debates. Half the "Boyd threads" are just full of self-righteous nonsense.

We paid around the 3M mark for Laferty and I dont see him getting a regular game.

Its these blinkered opionions that make the arguments worse, Ive never claimed him to be a world beater, I often picked cousin ahead of him last season in my proposed line ups, and its pretty hard not to see the other peoples point of view, especially when they critisize something bad he does, yet fail to regonize something good he does in the same match