Murray, Watty, youngsters

gsa

Since 'Walters return' we have spent far more than Celtic on transfer fees and our squad has become bloated to the point of it becoming ridiculous yet they are current champions and still in champions league having got out of the goup stages 2 years in a row.

i've just heard zola say he doesn't need anything like 25 at west ham and that's for the e.p.l. does anyone know why walter needs 30 + for the spl and the diddy cups? we are storing up so much trouble for ourselves and will surely pay for it next season - no euro football and paying wages for about 10 guys who never, ever play plus the transfer fees for the likes of edu and lafferty. i thought this was the new age of prudence, not letting watty the dinosaur piss away money the club can't afford.

this all brings me to david murrays comments on bringing through youth players, i have to agree with him and i think most fans would LOVE to see youngsters get a chance.

there is only one problem - as long as walter is rangers manager no young player will ever get a chance.

the way forward for clubs in leagues like ours is to produce youngster with quality - is it not why murray park was built? - get 3,4 years out of them, get decent runs in europe and then sell them on for huge profit. if it's good enough for sporting lisbon, seviila and ajax it's good enough for us. the sad fact is that under walter it will never happen, he would rather buy a 32 year old squaddie from dundee utd than give a talented youngster a chance. twat.

Well part of that problem is that Walter is supposedly wanting rid of at least 6 peripheal players, but as they are contracted then he can't exactly force them out. I'm sure he probably wants rid of Hemdani, Gow, JCD (?), Burke (?), Adam (?) that is for January, at the end of the season on top of that Weir, Dailly and Smith as well as Burke will be out of contract, unfortunately so will Furman, the first four I can't see being offered new contracts, possibly Smith if he does manage to prove he is going to be fit enough to play. You might also find that the goalie Smith might be allowed to leave with Robinson taking over as the reserve goalie.

Rangers are fully aware that they have a large squad, BUT if a player is on a contract then unless we buy that contract out (again) then they have the right to stay and collect their wages.

With regards to the future, if SDM doesn't give Walter transfer money then he won't have a choice but to start playing younger players, time will tell on that one.

he would rather buy a 32 year old squaddie from dundee utd than give a talented youngster a chance

Who is this you speak of, didn't realise we signed somebody from Dundee Utd?

Well part of that problem is that Walter is supposedly wanting rid of at least 6 peripheal players, but as they are contracted then he can't exactly force them out. I'm sure he probably wants rid of Hemdani, Gow, JCD (?), Burke (?), Adam (?) that is for January, at the end of the season on top of that Weir, Dailly and Smith as well as Burke will be out of contract, unfortunately so will Furman, the first four I can't see being offered new contracts, possibly Smith if he does manage to prove he is going to be fit enough to play. You might also find that the goalie Smith might be allowed to leave with Robinson taking over as the reserve goalie.

Rangers are fully aware that they have a large squad, BUT if a player is on a contract then unless we buy that contract out (again) then they have the right to stay and collect their wages.

With regards to the future, if SDM doesn't give Walter transfer money then he won't have a choice but to start playing younger players, time will tell on that one.

he would rather buy a 32 year old squaddie from dundee utd than give a talented youngster a chance

Who is this you speak of, didn't realise we signed somebody from Dundee Utd?

no-one in particular, but remember bolan and clelland, don't be surprised if lee wilkie is a walter signing. when he's a bit older.

Since 'Walters return' we have spent far more than Celtic on transfer fees and our squad has become bloated to the point of it becoming ridiculous yet they are current champions and still in champions league having got out of the goup stages 2 years in a row.

i've just heard zola say he doesn't need anything like 25 at west ham and that's for the e.p.l. does anyone know why walter needs 30 + for the spl and the diddy cups? we are storing up so much trouble for ourselves and will surely pay for it next season - no euro football and paying wages for about 10 guys who never, ever play plus the transfer fees for the likes of edu and lafferty. i thought this was the new age of prudence, not letting watty the dinosaur piss away money the club can't afford.

this all brings me to david murrays comments on bringing through youth players, i have to agree with him and i think most fans would LOVE to see youngsters get a chance.

there is only one problem - as long as walter is rangers manager no young player will ever get a chance.

the way forward for clubs in leagues like ours is to produce youngster with quality - is it not why murray park was built? - get 3,4 years out of them, get decent runs in europe and then sell them on for huge profit. if it's good enough for sporting lisbon, seviila and ajax it's good enough for us. the sad fact is that under walter it will never happen, he would rather buy a 32 year old squaddie from dundee utd than give a talented youngster a chance. twat.

There is no doubt that Walter has bought a few good players, and steadied the ship after PLG and taken us near glory last season, and brought in Mendes this season and in that regard did well. It also true that some of the signings are pretty poor and a few just doing nothing at all.

It is also apparant that any youngsters brought up through Murray Park may just as well leave as they have no chance of a game. Furman, Fleck and even Buffel and Gow could have helped out last year when so many were needing a rest, but Walter would not do it.

Walter is too stubborn and too near sighted at times and his refusal to strengthen the team before the Kaunas tie when Ferguson, Cuellar and Davis were missing was an absolute shocker of mismanagement.

There is now a situation where we have too many players and very few of (real) quality. We have Hemdani doing nothing and Aaron not even getting a look in or a chance. Walter has done ok, but some of his decisions are mind boggling. Why did we let Mac Donald and Samaras end up at CFC and then spend almost 7M pounds on Miller, Lafferty and Velicka? Stupid beyond belief. Why do we play JCD? We let our best striker Cousin go for peanuts too. We have a 38 yr old CH and never replaced Cuellar. We have 4 CHs in our defence. We play NO wingers? Best striker in Scotland seldom starts but a guy who cannot complete 90 minutes does?

Walter I think has taken the team as far as he can. It may be this should be his last season. Definitlely If we lose the SPL again!

I actually find it a bit unusual the way some people are talking about Walter signing some oldies, the only two people who I would actually class as being in this category are Weir and Dailly, McCulloch only turned 30 this year, Mendes is 29, Edu is 22 (?), Davis and Thomson are mid 20s, Bougherra is mid 20s I think as was Cuellar, Broadfoot is only about 23/24 (?), Lafferty is only 21, Aaron 19, Naismith was only 20 I think when Walter signed him, hell Alexander is only 30 and that is not a bad age for a goalie.

Anyone of the top of their heads think of the other signings and their ages?

Were top heavy, no doubt. But with geniune class, i'll have to say no. With the ambundance of fowards at the club, we have one real goal scorer, and he infuriates the support, through lack of movement.

3.5m was alot of money to be spent on Lafferty, but thats not his fault. £2m on Miller - again not a goal threat on a consistant basis. I just think Walter could of spent the money better, certainly in better positions.

What are we to expect from players like Edu and Aaron, a fair sum of the budget has been spent on the bench this season.

On another note, I think the players have to shoulder some of the responsibility, remember this was basically the same group of players who ripped Celtic and Hibs to shreads and were unbeaten until the St Mirren game, if they can do it against those other clubs without too much problem, all being guided under the same tutelage of Walter then it can be argued he didn't really do anything wrong, grant you I would have liked to have seen some of the fresh blood being given a game but it all comes down to the old adage, why change a winning team. I'm sure we wouldn't have been having these sort of threads if Rangers had won?

Great posts PIB (tu)

We've humped the filth and Hibs away - something we wouldn't have done last season - and only had one bad domestic result.

It's a bit strange to go from the "we have a midfield most EPL teams would be envious of" threads one week to this kind of doom and gloom the next.

Fair enough, the manager may have made the wrong decision on a couple of occasions, but he's also made a lot of good decisions. We're joint top of the league and in the driving seat. We've got Celtic, Aberdeen and Hibs at home in the next round of fixtures and our captain on the way back from injury :pipe:

Optimistic loyal

Great posts PIB (tu)

We've humped the filth and Hibs away - something we wouldn't have done last season - and only had one bad domestic result.

It's a bit strange to go from the "we have a midfield most EPL teams would be envious of" threads one week to this kind of doom and gloom the next.

Fair enough, the manager may have made the wrong decision on a couple of occasions, but he's also made a lot of good decisions. We're joint top of the league and in the driving seat. We've got Celtic, Aberdeen and Hibs at home in the next round of fixtures and our captain on the way back from injury :pipe:

Optimistic loyal

Spot on both posters.

This teams not been messed around with too much - we were beaten. Nobody is smiling - but its gonna happen.

I for one think that was a one off, for now. feck, three or four shots in a couple of seconds and they had four players IN THEIR GOAL behind the keeper. I was talking to a mate today and heard myself sayin - we were never gonna win it, we coulda played for 3 days and not scored.

I do think WS should have made different choices - but this team (or very near it) crapped all over the scum only recently.

Players fault I think.

An a wee bit of Watties too.