McCoist hints at McCulloch future in defence

Boab

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Frankly, McCulloch should have been jettisoned after his dissapearing act against Kaunas.

One of the biggest cowards to ever pull on the Rangers jersey.

:ohmy:

He certainly doesn't play like a coward.

Dissapearing when the going gets tough and putting in a heartless "foul" to try and stamp your authority on the game constitutes a coward for me.

I wonder what Sasa Papac really thinks of Lee McCulloch. When we came under the cosh last year, McCulloch would constantly hide and leave Papac exposed.

McCulloch is f*cking brtual and the sooner the management see it the better but the scary thing is they will pretty much play him anywhere to accommodate him

he was a key part of our success in the first half of last season before his injury, no1 was saying he was a poor player then!

Bullshit, look for the threads, if you had been at the games home, away and abroad then you'd of heard the rumblings about him!

6-8 games at the start he played pretty good then after that he was fukn brutal.

The guy is a complete and utter dumpling whether it be at LM, ST, CM or CB.

he was a key part of our success in the first half of last season before his injury, no1 was saying he was a poor player then!

Bullshit, look for the threads, if you had been at the games home, away and abroad then you'd of heard the rumblings about him!

6-8 games at the start he played pretty good then after that he was fukn brutal.

The guy is a complete and utter dumpling whether it be at LM, ST, CM or CB.

Don't forgot RM (tu)

Next he'll be in goals doh

reckon a lot will depend on how webster gets on in his loan deal.

murray isn't spending in january, and walter won't give the youngsters a chance.

wouldn't be surprised to see him in defence, as mcculloch isn't good enough up front or in midfield, and walter is determined for mcculloch to succeed, in any position, while someone like gow doesn't get a sniff in one position!!!!!

ALLY McCOIST has hinted that Lee McCulloch's future may lie at the heart of the Rangers defence.

The 30-year-old played his third reserve game at centre-back for Gers in the 3-0 victory at St Mirren where he opened the scoring.

The Gers No.2 was impressed with McCulloch's all-round display as he kept Craig Dargo and Jim Hamilton quiet.

And with Davie Weir now 38 it could be that the powerful midfielder is undergoing a conversion process that will eventually see him slot in alongside Madjid Bougherra.

McCoist said: "Lee is coming on and playing centre-back and he is really enjoying it.

"Playing that position is different for Lee obviously, but he scored one goal and could have had another couple.

"He is an obvious menace from the set- piece and he can spot and make a pass from out of the back. He looked very comfortable.

"I would have had said that although that was Lee's third game at centre-back for the reserves, it was by far his toughest given that he was up against Craig Dargo and big Jim Hamilton. He came through strongly.

"There is no doubt that having Christian Dailly, who is an international centre-back alongside him, would have been a help but Lee did well."

McCulloch is an obvious menace from set plays? McCulloch can spot a pass? Am i missing something here?

And Christian Dailly is an international centre-back? When did he last play at centre-back for Scotland?

Frightening stuff, wildly frightening.

Frankly, McCulloch should have been jettisoned after his dissapearing act against Kaunas.

Disappearing when the going gets tough and putting in a heartless foul to try and stamp your authority on the game constitutes a coward for me.

I wonder what Sasa Papac really thinks of Lee McCulloch. When we came under the cosh last year, McCulloch would constantly hide and leave Papac exposed.

Saying he's shite is one thing, but IMO he's never given anything but his best when in a Rangers shirt. I could never fault his attitude and work rate when playing for us. His performances have generally been gash, don't get me wrong, but I think he's been professional.

There's a difference between the game passing you by because you're guff, and 'hiding' like a coward. I really don't think anyone can honestly say that he's been one of the biggest cowards to pull on the jersey :huh:

You guys are way too quick to be critical. McCulloch has been playing there due to injuries mainly. Anyway....the reserve game against St.Mirren he was faultless. He has a great spring and wins the majority of headers he goes for, has a good touch and has an eye for a pass.

The reason many fans have been critical of him is because he isn't blessed with pace. So why not try him somewhere where his assets may be used best.

I agree. it may just turn out to be a masterstroke. It has worked in the past with players moving back positions to CB.

McCulloch has most of the attributes to be a good defender, why not judge him on performance rather than perception?

You guys are way too quick to be critical. McCulloch has been playing there due to injuries mainly. Anyway....the reserve game against St.Mirren he was faultless. He has a great spring and wins the majority of headers he goes for, has a good touch and has an eye for a pass.

The reason many fans have been critical of him is because he isn't blessed with pace. So why not try him somewhere where his assets may be used best.

I agree. it may just turn out to be a masterstroke. It has worked in the past with players moving back positions to CB.

McCulloch has most of the attributes to be a good defender, why not judge him on performance rather than perception?

Or, why don't we wait until January and get a quality replacement in for Davie Weir? Whilst selling McCulloch.

Bougherra was Cuellar's replacement. Murray was always going to be selling Cuellar so needed someone in to cover him when he eventually got sold off.

Exactly mate.

It's no coincidence that we went out of Europe and within two days we have made a quickfore move to sign a player who plays in the same position as our most valuable player.

Disappearing when the going gets tough and putting in a heartless foul to try and stamp your authority on the game constitutes a coward for me.

Saying he's shite is one thing, but IMO he's never given anything but his best when in a Rangers shirt. I could never fault his attitude and work rate when playing for us. His performances have generally been gash, don't get me wrong, but I think he's been professional.

There's a difference between the game passing you by because you're guff, and 'hiding' like a coward. I really don't think anyone can honestly say that he's been one of the biggest cowards to pull on the jersey :huh:

I suggest you watch some re-runs of last season then. The 1-1 draw at Fir Park in May, the 2-1 victory over Hibs in March and the Kaunas debacle in August are just 3 examples of him disappearing when the going gets tough.

A coward of a player.

I don't like the idea, but I'm going to give him a decent chance before judging him.

As you said there are numerous players with a similar playing style to McCulloch who have found themselves dropping to centre back as their career has advanced.

Bougherra was Cuellar's replacement. Murray was always going to be selling Cuellar so needed someone in to cover him when he eventually got sold off.

Exactly mate.

It's no coincidence that we went out of Europe and within two days we have made a quickfore move to sign a player who plays in the same position as our most valuable player.

Too many people are naive here, Murray's actions never surprise me anymore. It's getting easier and easier to see through him each season.

I don't like the idea, but I'm going to give him a decent chance before judging him.

As you said there are numerous players with a similar playing style to McCulloch who have found themselves dropping to centre back as their career has advanced.

Remember a certain Kevin McKenna who played for Hearts? I'm sure he played up front and CH

What attributes does he have that would make him a good defender?

Strong, good in the air, decent passer. Its certainly a decent start.

If he impresses in that position in the reserves then so much the better, if not then sell him on, all I'm saying is that we shouldn't write him off in that position without giving him a chance.

I suggest you watch some re-runs of last season then. The 1-1 draw at Fir Park in May, the 2-1 victory over Hibs in March and the Kaunas debacle in August are just 3 examples of him disappearing when the going gets tough.

A coward of a player.

Mendes was completely anonymous against St Mirren recently. Is he a coward?

In any case, it is much harder to be involved in the game from a wider midfield position. As for Kaunas, every single player was shite that night. They weren't cowards, they were just shite.

Listen, I think he's been pretty dire. But one thing that's not in question for me is the fact that he wants to play for Rangers, and will give his all for Rangers.

Or, why don't we wait until January and get a quality replacement in for Davie Weir? Whilst selling McCulloch.

Why buy what you may already have.

If he impresses in that position in the reserves then so much the better, if not then sell him on, all I'm saying is that we shouldn't write him off in that position without giving him a chance.

I don't know where this myth about him being good in the air came from, he's brutal.

He leads with his arms all the time and gives away many fouls.

Looks like it Davey, either that or just goes to show how much our manager and management team have lost it.

Baffling.

We have Broadfoot, Dailly, Edu(although I'd hate to see him played there), Papac (same as Edu) who all have experience or are more natural to CH than McCulloch. So we do have some sort of cover at least.

So we're either skint or Walter's just trying to find a place for his braveheart.

Also, when does Webster's loan finish?

A coward of a player.

Mendes was completely anonymous against St Mirren recently. Is he a coward?

In any case, it is much harder to be involved in the game from a wider midfield position. As for Kaunas, every single player was shite that night. They weren't cowards, they were just shite.

Listen, I think he's been pretty dire. But one thing that's not in question for me is the fact that he wants to play for Rangers, and will give his all for Rangers.

His all isn't good enough. Sad but true. I don't care how much he supports us, if he can't improve us on the park in his natural position then he should be moved on.

I don't know where this myth about him being good in the air came from, he's brutal.

He leads with his arms all the time and gives away many fouls.

So the reason Walter sent ball after ball out to the left wing was because McCulloch was poor in the air?