McCoist hints at McCulloch future in defence

Boab

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A maybe wrong but a think R.Gough started out at centre forward, also if any of you are as old as me P.Heggarty of Dundee Utd. and Scotland was a striker turn centre back and a really good one at that. Also, our very own legend big DJ, switched between centre forward and centre half no prob. Am not saying McCulloch can but its been know in the past.

Another good example is Kenny Burns. Won player of the year in England as part of the Notts Forrest championship winning team after Clough converted him from striker to central defender.

LEE McCULLOCH admits switching to defence might be his best chance of getting a game in Rangers' first team.

The former Scotland star is fit again after six weeks out with a knee injury and made his third appearance for Gers' reserves last week against St Mirren.

But McCulloch knows he won't walk straight back into the starting eleven.

With the additions of Pedro Mendes, Steven Davis, Maurice Edu and Kyle Lafferty in the summer the 30-year-old faces a fight for a light blue jersey.

That's why Lee, signed for £2.75 million from Wigan, would be willing to play centre-back in a bid to get back in.

Aside from first-choice pair Davie Weir and Madjid Bougherra it's the one area of Walter Smith's team that is light on cover. After performing well in defence for the second string at Love Street, McCulloch said: "The squad is huge now.

"It's hard to get in but that's what you want, real competition for places.

"The boys in the team know if they're not doing it there are plenty of guys like me ready to step in.

"Every reserve game I've had has been at centre-back so maybe the gaffer's trying to tell me something!

"He asked me to play there and I said I'd give it a go.

"I'd already played matches right across the midfield and up front. I'm enjoying it and I think I've done well.

"It doesn't matter where I play as long as I'm getting games and improving my match fitness.

"The more positions I can manage to play the better chance I have of getting a start for the first team or coming off the bench.

"That's what I'm aiming for.

"I'm not sure whether I'm ready to be a full-time centre-half yet - I haven't spoken to the boss about it in depth.

"I have had three games there now but the way big Davie and Bougherra are playing at the moment there's no budging them.

"As it stands, it's getting me games and match fitness so I'm happy to do a job in there."

Sunday Mail