McCoist hints at McCulloch future in defence

Boab

What attributes does he have that would make him a good defender?

Strong, good in the air, decent passer. Its certainly a decent start.

If he impresses in that position in the reserves then so much the better, if not then sell him on, all I'm saying is that we shouldn't write him off in that position without giving him a chance.

I don't think he's as good in the air as people make him out to be but that's just my opinion. He gives far too many fouls whether the ball be in the air or on the deck which would result to giving away free kicks in dangerous positions, his distribution is terrible, he's too slow and his positional sense is not good enough for a centre back, the previous two reserve matches especially agaisnt Kilmarnock(I think?)prove this. His tackling is terrible.

I think he'd be a bombscare there.

But hey, he's our manager and captains bum chum so lets try him in any position just to give him a game. You certainly wouldn't see this happen at any of the top sides in Europe, even the likes of Steaua, Cluj, Anorthosis wouldn't think about it.

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Frankly, McCulloch should have been jettisoned after his dissapearing act against Kaunas.

One of the biggest cowards to ever pull on the Rangers jersey.

:ohmy:

He certainly doesn't play like a coward.

Disappearing when the going gets tough and putting in a heartless foul to try and stamp your authority on the game constitutes a coward for me.

I wonder what Sasa Papac really thinks of Lee McCulloch. When we came under the cosh last year, McCulloch would constantly hide and leave Papac exposed.

Saying he's shite is one thing, but IMO he's never given anything but his best when in a Rangers shirt. I could never fault his attitude and work rate when playing for us. His performances have generally been gash, don't get me wrong, but I think he's been professional.

There's a difference between the game passing you by because you're guff, and 'hiding' like a coward. I really don't think anyone can honestly say that he's been one of the biggest cowards to pull on the jersey :huh:

I suggest you watch some re-runs of last season then. The 1-1 draw at Fir Park in May, the 2-1 victory over Hibs in March and the Kaunas debacle in August are just 3 examples of him disappearing when the going gets tough.

A coward of a player.

Mendes was completely anonymous against St Mirren recently. Is he a coward?

In any case, it is much harder to be involved in the game from a wider midfield position. As for Kaunas, every single player was shite that night. They weren't cowards, they were just shite.

Listen, I think he's been pretty dire. But one thing that's not in question for me is the fact that he wants to play for Rangers, and will give his all for Rangers.

His all isn't good enough. Sad but true. I don't care how much he supports us, if he can't improve us on the park in his natural position then he should be moved on.

I agree with that. But he's not a coward (tu)

I was trying to think of examples of players getting moved as they went through their careers. I know there are quite a lot but I can't think of many just at this moment.

Keane was moved for midfield to CB for a while. Smith was moved from striker to defensive midfield. I know there are better examples, I will get back.

If he impresses in that position in the reserves then so much the better, if not then sell him on, all I'm saying is that we shouldn't write him off in that position without giving him a chance.

I don't know where this myth about him being good in the air came from, he's brutal.

He leads with his arms all the time and gives away many fouls.

So the reason Walter sent ball after ball out to the left wing was because McCulloch was poor in the air?

No, it's because Walter is tactically inept.

Webster's loan expires in January I think. Yet another player who I don't want to see in a Rangers jersey, he's pish and the Bristol City fans will agree!

And yet we somehow thought he was worth a 3 year deal doh

im prepared to give him a chance simply because he cant be worse than davie weir. I know LM isnt the fastest but he could walk faster that DW could sprint. having somebody as slow as DW in cb effects the whole team, the defense cant push up as far as the normally would because he isnt able to track back,thus the defense has to sit deeper giving the attacking team space to run.

has the build for it and if theres one thing mcculloch is good at its winning headers. It is risky and it will most likely backfire but il wait and see before passing judgement

Frankly, McCulloch should have been jettisoned after his dissapearing act against Kaunas.

One of the biggest cowards to ever pull on the Rangers jersey.

:ohmy:

He certainly doesn't play like a coward.

Disappearing when the going gets tough and putting in a heartless foul to try and stamp your authority on the game constitutes a coward for me.

I wonder what Sasa Papac really thinks of Lee McCulloch. When we came under the cosh last year, McCulloch would constantly hide and leave Papac exposed.

Saying he's shite is one thing, but IMO he's never given anything but his best when in a Rangers shirt. I could never fault his attitude and work rate when playing for us. His performances have generally been gash, don't get me wrong, but I think he's been professional.

There's a difference between the game passing you by because you're guff, and 'hiding' like a coward. I really don't think anyone can honestly say that he's been one of the biggest cowards to pull on the jersey :huh:

I suggest you watch some re-runs of last season then. The 1-1 draw at Fir Park in May, the 2-1 victory over Hibs in March and the Kaunas debacle in August are just 3 examples of him disappearing when the going gets tough.

A coward of a player.

Mendes was completely anonymous against St Mirren recently. Is he a coward?

In any case, it is much harder to be involved in the game from a wider midfield position. As for Kaunas, every single player was shite that night. They weren't cowards, they were just shite.

Listen, I think he's been pretty dire. But one thing that's not in question for me is the fact that he wants to play for Rangers, and will give his all for Rangers.

There is a difference between struggling to get into the game and purposely falling out of the game.

Look at Dailly against Kaunas, he was absolutely atrocious but at least he actually tried to seek the ball, McCulloch done his usual act of taking up positions where he knew he wasnt going to get the ball and generally tried to shy away from play. Watch the other two games i listed above and you'll see him do it again.

I don't know where this myth about him being good in the air came from, he's brutal.

So the reason Walter sent ball after ball out to the left wing was because McCulloch was poor in the air?

He has his faults for sure, but can a manager really be tactically inept and still get to a UEFA Cup final?

TBH, that was probably us trying to keep the ball on the deck.

If McCulloch gets in at centre half, we'd be as well selling Murray Park and terminating the contracts of all the youth players.

What IS the point in any sort of youth system under Walter? Rapidly losing respect for McCoist as well, looks like him and McDowall are just yes men.

Webster's loan expires in January I think. Yet another player who I don't want to see in a Rangers jersey, he's pish and the Bristol City fans will agree!

Webster or McCulloch at CH Muff? Who would you have if they were your only options? :craphead:

I'd probably play with 10 men.

If McCulloch gets in at centre half, we'd be as well selling Murray Park and terminating the contracts of all the youth players.

What IS the point in any sort of youth system under Walter? Rapidly losing respect for McCoist as well, looks like him and McDowall are just yes men.

Murray --> Bain --> Walter --> McCoist/McDowell --> some fans on here

That's the order it goes in Papa, all yes men and puppets.

He has his faults for sure, but can a manager really be tactically inept and still get to a UEFA Cup final?

Steve McLaren.

Webster or McCulloch at CH Muff? Who would you have if they were your only options? :craphead:

I'd probably play with 10 men.

Webster.

Steve McLaren.

1-0 Craigy :(

There's only one thing that can describe Lee McCulloch at CB... doh

What's next? Charlie Adam as a sweeper? Christian Dailly as a winger? It might be the case of Walter realizing he wasted so much money on McCulloch, that hes trying desperately to justify the signing by finding a place for Lee in the side.