West Brom to bid for Thomson

Poetry_In_Blue

According to today's Daily Rhebel West Brom will be making another bid for KT during the next transfer window. Even with Fergie back and Edu waiting in the wings I really hope Walter refuses to let this happen unless it is an exceptional offer, and by that I mean a minimum of £6 million pounds.

WBA to make new move for Kevin Thomson

Oct 24 2008 by Hugh Keevins

WEST BROM will go back in for Rangers’ Kevin Thomson in the January transfer window.

The midfielder was a target for Tony Mowbray in the summer and the Midlands club have been monitoring developments since.

The return of Barry Ferguson from long-term injury plus the signings of Pedro Mendes and Steve Davis may reduce Thomson’s chances of a regular game at Ibrox. The right transfer fee could tempt Rangers to part with the player they bought from Hibs for £2million 18 months ago.

Thomson has recently had to contend with becoming the victim of mindless vandalism, having had his car daubed with slogans in Edinburgh.

Last week in an interview with Record Sport, he told how he hoped not to become part of the Old Firm goldfish bowl.

He said: “If I wanted to draw attention to myself I could. But I’m a quiet-living guy.”

West Brom have made a decent start to the Premiership after winning promotion last season but last Saturday’s 4-0 hammering from Manchester United convinced Mowbray new signings are necessary.

He said: “We know the positions that need to be addressed and we’ll be doing that in January.”

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If Kevin Thomson is allowed to leave in January or any other time for that matter, especially to a relegation fighting team like West Brom, WS can walk. He IS the long term answer for Barry. Both he and Pedro are in there 30's while Thomson, a tough tackling player who isn't afraid to put his foot in, unlike Adam and Hemdani, is only 24.

He may pick up needless bookings but is by far the most underrated player in the team, not a flash bigtime charlie like others in the team.

We CANNOT sell him....the future captain in my opinion.

Just read in the Evening Times West Brom might be bidding £3 million, yeah right, now way he'll be allowed to go so cheeply, the bloody Times report is a disgrace, why would we let someone go for £3 million when we paid £2 million for him?

KT would always be a first pick over Adam and McCulloch, also Hemdani won't be here for much longer.

Baggies size up swoop for Kev

Thomson is Baggies target

by Thomas Jordan

RANGERS midfielder Kevin Thomson is a £3million signing target for West Brom.

And the Premiership club are believed to be preparing to try and land the Scotland international during the January transfer window.

Tony Mowbray - who was Thomson's manager at Hibs - is a big fan of the Ibrox star and feels he could make an impact down south.

The 24-year-old has been an important player for Rangers this season and Walter Smith has rarely left him out of his team since he took over as manager.

However, Smith knows he may have to let a few players leave during the next transfer window as his squad is too big now the club don't have European football this term.

And Rangers might believe £3m is a decent price for a player who cost them £2m in January 2006.

The return of Barry Ferguson could also be a factor. Smith already has Pedro Mendes, Steven Davis, Charlie Adam, Maurice Edu and Brahim Hemdani who can play in the middle of the park.

Lee McCulloch, who is edging closer to full fitness, can operate in there as well. So it could come down to just how highly Smith rates Thomson and whether or not he feels he will be a first choice when everyone is fit.

Mowbray has made it clear he plans to buy at the turn of the year and said: "We know the areas where we want to strengthen and that's something we will address in the next window."

Thomson could play for Rangers this weekend after limping off during their last match against St Mirren.

The midfielder picked up an ankle injury which ruled him out of Scotland's World Cup qualifier with Norway.

But he is now back in full training after some time to recover and should face Hamilton Accies at New Douglas Park tomorrow.

If Kevin Thomson is allowed to leave in January or any other time for that matter, especially to a relegation fighting team like West Brom, WS can walk. He IS the long term answer for Barry. Both he and Pedro are in there 30's while Thomson, a tough tackling player who isn't afraid to put his foot in, unlike Adam and Hemdani, is only 24.

He may pick up needless bookings but is by far the most underrated player in the team, not a flash bigtime charlie like others in the team.

We CANNOT sell him....the future captain in my opinion.

If sold, don't blame WS, he won't have a say in the matter blame SDM, when West Brom attempted to sign him during the summer WS put his foot down and said basically no bloody way!

Brown8 is valued at £10m and Thomson, a player 10 times better is valued at £3m by the Scottish media....away and take a running jump.

Selling Thomson would be stupid. He brings us something that no other midfielder at Ibrox is capable of - he's an integral part of the midfield.

Brown8 is valued at £10m and Thomson, a player 10 times better is valued at £3m by the Scottish media....away and take a running jump.

Selling Thomson would be stupid. He brings us something that no other midfielder at Ibrox is capable of - he's an integral part of the midfield.

Totally agree MuffGer (tu)

Agree 100%, now of west brom were to offer £100 million...

If we got 6m for Thomson i'd take it but only if it is reinvested. He is a good player not a great player imo. For that kind of money i'd like to think we could sign a more mobile player as I believe Thomsons downfall is he abit one paced, but you can't knock his energy and his battling.

Although I do admit I wouldn't be in a rush to sell him, there are a dzen others who should be shown the door before him.

Agree 100%, now of west brom were to offer £100 million...

I'd sell him for £10m - only if the money was used to buy a quality CB and LM/W - reinvested in the team!

Take the money if its over £4million,and by Riordion watched him against Hearts and the boys still a good player would give us good balance on the left............and with the change buy............Brown,McDonald,McGeady,McManus,Wilson,Caldwell,Maloney and give the rest to a worthy cause.

i know i will be shot for this, but is he really someone we desperately need? Yes, he is young, great tackler, composed, good leader etc, but we currently have edu, davis, barry and mendes in midfield. No doubt Barry and Pedro will be in midfield for the next 2 seasons, then you have davis, who at 23 is still young, and Edu who also has plenty to offer at only 22...would it really be such a crime if Thommo gets sold for £4-5 mill, if someone like Edu can step into his shoes? I personally see doubling our money is good business, especially for a defensive midfielder who doesnt really have goals in him...

We have to consider all factors here and the truth of the matter is, we need cash and a new CB come next season, so this may be a way of moving forward...

Going against the trend here:

I would grab an offer of £3 million for Thomson as I think he is a decent spl player at best.

I feel he lacks the awareness and movement necessary for a player in his position.

His lack of pace and at times very panicky distribution are a big drawback and the cause of his poor disciplinary record.

A good holding midfielder should not need to be in the position that he is forced to make the type of challenges he is forced to make and should certainly not be caught on the wrong side of his opponent anywhere near as often Thomson.

A midfielder needs to be busy for 90 plus minutes not his usual 10 minute spurt in the last 10 minutes of each half.The old pass and move adage does not seem to be in his game.