The Rangers Fan of 2008 is a strange breed and one I often fail to recognise

Tontospal

I'm a season ticket holder, I think the majority of fans round about me just want to watch and enjoy the football. Like me i would rather leave all this bigotry behind us, nothing wrong with abit of a wind up, I have just woken up to all. I use to sing all the songs and look at myself as being a real unionist supporter but what has it really got to do with me. Why did i start supporting rangers? It damn wasnt because they were a protestant club. The troubles in nothern ireland are nothing to sing about. alot of lives were taken, bet they would do anything to get there love ones back on both sides. I dont think there is anything wrong with the fans in 2008. I feel that we are slowly waken up to what is important.

AND THAT IS RANGERS FC

FOLLOW WITH PRIDE!!!

so you dont sing the songs anymore, plus what bigotry are you on about.

no pope of rome??

thats not bigoted.

What songs have Rangers fans sung in the past that have been bigoted?

Or have we never sung any bigoted songs, it's only Celtic that do that?

no bigoted songs, it was the add-ons that were the problem. at least we dont sing songs about blowing up woman and children like the scum do.

• Replies 460
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

bp9 i have been told to be nice and not tell you to fuck of i think i can still call you a twat but not sure, so i will try to be nice by asking you a simple question how many prozac do you start the day with. I am not trying to insult you and i am not trying demean you,but it is the only way i can see how you come to your conclusions. Waits to be told off .

Well telling me to fk off usually means that you have no legitimate arguments and are resorting to some sort of bullying tactic to get me to change. I assume thats why you want to tell me to fk off - you know your argument is weak, you are getting angry becase you have no real rejoinders with which to debate with, and you turn that anger at yourself, into anger at me and feel the need to call me names. BTW I get much more hurt if you call me a tim - but not much more. Perhaps if you call me a tim lots of times you will make me wither away under pressure of your arguement. :harhar: (sorry couldn't help being childish - must go take more Prozac!)

a the Prozac helps then,but you have not answered the question as usual.

What songs have Rangers fans sung in the past that have been bigoted?

Or have we never sung any bigoted songs, it's only Celtic that do that?

See that's a difficult question to answer. Factor in context, meaning and individual fan beliefs then one could say most songs are acceptable enough.

However, nowadays - rightly or wrongly - songs with FTP or wishing for no catholic worshipping are deemed unacceptable.

Nonetheless, the Rangers supporters who want to continue to celebrate their culture (Protestant, Unionist and/or Monarchist) are entitled to do so as well. As long as it doesn't do the above.

That's what inclusiveness is and is what the people who want that forget when they wish for such cultures and fans to be banished.

no pope of rome??

Not heard that sung at Ibrox for the best part of 5 years - possibly longer.

Exactly what I was thinking. Whenever a poster urges us so called traditionalists to drop the bigotry it's funny how they always use an example of a song that's well in the past.

Makes you wonder if they attend Rangers games at all.

bp9 i have been told to be nice and not tell you to fuck of i think i can still call you a twat but not sure, so i will try to be nice by asking you a simple question how many prozac do you start the day with. I am not trying to insult you and i am not trying demean you,but it is the only way i can see how you come to your conclusions. Waits to be told off .

Well telling me to fk off usually means that you have no legitimate arguments and are resorting to some sort of bullying tactic to get me to change. I assume thats why you want to tell me to fk off - you know your argument is weak, you are getting angry becase you have no real rejoinders with which to debate with, and you turn that anger at yourself, into anger at me and feel the need to call me names. BTW I get much more hurt if you call me a tim - but not much more. Perhaps if you call me a tim lots of times you will make me wither away under pressure of your arguement. :harhar: (sorry couldn't help being childish - must go take more Prozac!)

There was a question in that ramble - oh wait, Prozac! - 5 on a normal day 7 if I think I am going to logon the this forum! and one every time I get sworn at or callled a tim. doh

Exactly what I was thinking. Whenever a poster urges us so called traditionalists to drop the bigotry it's funny how they always use an example of a song that's well in the past.

Indeed - for all intents and purposes - there is absolutely no bigotry at Ibrox Stadium.

Yes, you may hear the odd individual at these games, and very occasionally at away games that may turn into a gallus dozen or so but anyone complaining about sectarianism (or racism for that matter) from our fans is incorrect and merely mischief-making.

Of course there are many tasteless songs around and they are up for debate but that is part and parcel of football and what gave the game it's proletariat attraction in the first place.

It's interesting to me that it's only since the game gained a wider appeal via TV and became fashionable amongst the bourgeoisie that suddenly offence-taking appeared on the agenda.

There was a question in that ramble - oh wait, Prozac! - 5 on a normal day 7 if I think I am going to logon the this forum! and one every time I get sworn at or callled a tim. doh

avoid the question if you want its what you always do

What question - only question I can see is the one about Prozac and I have answered that ? doh

What question - only question I can see is the one about Prozac and I have answered that ? doh

But are you on the 10mg green/cream ones or the 30mg yellow ones?

It makes a big difference. Believe me!

Avoid it if you want

Nonetheless, the Rangers supporters who want to continue to celebrate their culture (Protestant, Unionist and/or Monarchist) are entitled to do so as well. As long as it doesn't do the above.

Apologies for quoting my own post but as an addendum, I think it's important to note that David Murray is Protestant, is Unionist and is a Monarchist. As the club owner (and despite what either side of the argument have often said) he is also extremely comfortable with the club and the fans expressing those virtues.

From songs about Protestant culture to the flying of the Union flag to the singing of GSTQ (and e.g. the annual Loving Cup ceremony), there is absolutely no evidence that he (or Rangers FC) want this aspect of the club eradicated.

Rangers FC are a broad church (and our inclusiveness cannot be questioned nowadays) so I look forward to these virtues being part of the club for another 100+ years.

:)

Apologies for quoting my own post but as an addendum, I think it's important to note that David Murray is Protestant, is Unionist and is a Monarchist. As the club owner (and despite what either side of the argument have often said) he is also extremely comfortable with the club and the fans expressing those virtues.

From songs about Protestant culture to the flying of the Union flag to the singing of GSTQ (and e.g. the annual Loving Cup ceremony), there is absolutely no evidence that he (or Rangers FC) want this aspect of the club eradicated.

Rangers FC are a broad church (and our inclusiveness cannot be questioned nowadays) so I look forward to these virtues being part of the club for another 100+ years.

:)

haha, I am waiting on someone disagreeing with that due to superior knowledge :craphead:

Most fans on forums who call themselves Rangers fans are nothing like the fans who actually attend matches

They are just mouthpieces who try to stir up trouble and give the less experienced young fans a false and wrong impression

The majority of Rangers fans are loyalist unionist protestants and thats what they believe in whether people likke it or not

Says the man with 5 posts! :lol:

ATTENTION ALL NEW POSTERS!! You're views are worthless unless you have more than x amount of posts.

Mods would it be better to start everyone off on perhaps 30 posts? Then their views would be worthwhile.

Most fans on forums who call themselves Rangers fans are nothing like the fans who actually attend matches

They are just mouthpieces who try to stir up trouble and give the less experienced young fans a false and wrong impression

The majority of Rangers fans are loyalist unionist protestants and thats what they believe in whether people likke it or not

ATTENTION ALL NEW POSTERS!! You're views are worthless unless you have more than x amount of posts.

Mods would it be better to start everyone off on perhaps 30 posts? Then their views would be worthwhile.

Most fans on forums who call themselves Rangers fans are nothing like the fans who actually attend matches: says the man with 5 posts! All opinions valid - however some carry the argument better than others - someone with 5 posts on this forum is unlikely to know the make up of fans on this forum.

Most fans on forums who call themselves Rangers fans are nothing like the fans who actually attend matches: says the man with 5 posts! All opinions valid - however some carry the argument better than others - someone with 5 posts on this forum is unlikely to know the make up of fans on this forum.

I'm pretty sure you're an expert on make-up as well BP9......

Sorry to hear your life revolves round fans forums where everybody well the majority are faceless and anonymus and the majority are younger the generation

You would think the 50.000 that fills Ibrox are always on forums like this, you really do live a sad life

Not being pedantic, but he didn't say RM in particular. Maybe he frequents other forums?

I think his point was that the majority of fans that he meets when he attends matches are of the Unionist Protestant persuasion and not the 'new' type of supporter who tends to want the Rangers fan to evolve into a purely football orientated fan.

Strangely enough, most of the fans i meet at games are similar to the ones he meets. Unless by chance i'm bumping into the same few 'dinosaurs' he is, but what a coincidence that would be!!!!

You mean there really IS an Ibrox Stadium & Rangers FC?

Feck me, i thought this was a fantasy football forum, some of the bollocks i've read on it.

Now, now... That's because you haven't been taking your 30mg yellows. One pill and then it's all better again, I pwomise... :bouncy:

Not being pedantic, but he didn't say RM in particular. Maybe he frequents other forums?

I think his point was that the majority of fans that he meets when he attends matches are of the Unionist Protestant persuasion and not the 'new' type of supporter who tends to want the Rangers fan to evolve into a purely football orientated fan.

Strangely enough, most of the fans i meet at games are similar to the ones he meets. Unless by chance i'm bumping into the same few 'dinosaurs' he is, but what a coincidence that would be!!!!

I do go to all home games and the folks around me are pretty mixed in their views and I, IMHO, think that is reflected on this forum. His words - no matter how many forums he has been on - fans on forums are nothing like fans who attend games - and that (IMHO) is wrong - mixed views here, mixed views at Ibrox.

You mean there really IS an Ibrox Stadium & Rangers FC?

Feck me, i thought this was a fantasy football forum, some of the bollocks i've read on it.

Now, now... That's because you haven't been taking your 30mg yellows. One pill and then it's all better again, I pwomise... :bouncy:

Yes, but more than 5 in a day & i go a bit crazy & start shoplifting. (td)

I do go to all home games and the folks around me are pretty mixed in their views and I, IMHO, think that is reflected on this forum. His words - no matter how many forums he has been on - fans on forums are nothing like fans who attend games - and that (IMHO) is wrong - mixed views here, mixed views at Ibrox.

Have you tried singing FoS yet?

John Ure Primrose in his capacity as chairman stamped a very Protestant and Unionist identity on our club and even appeared on the same platform as Edward Carson. So the stamping of a Protestant/Unionist identity has not come from the fans alone...

You say that as if it is indisputable fact. What evidence do you have?

Its recorded in a number of history books and spoken about by a number of historical commentators.

Ive not personally met anyone who was there when Primrose shared the stand with Carson....but given the number of commentators who allude to the fact...I tend to believe it.

Why ? Do you have evidence to the contrary ?

Eh? I don't need evidence, your are making the assertion. Besides that, I'm not talking about who Primrose shared anything with. I'm talking about him 'stamping a Protestant/Unionist identity' on Rangers FC.

Well you are the one demanding evidence. Perhaps you should make yourself familiar with the Primrose years at the club.

So you don't know of any evidence of Primrose 'stamping a Protestant/Unionist identity' on Rangers FC'? I thought not. I have read quite a bit about Rangers history, although I admit much of that study was a few years ago and I don't pretend to be as knowledgeable as some, but I can never remember coming across anything concrete regarding Primrose's influence on the situation. I assumed from your statement of fact that you had. The same goes for another poster's statement that UP started a 'purge' of Catholic players.

A related question to those who have knowledge of the history. I remember reading that one of the big newspapers of the day put out a clarion call for a Scottish club to arise and challenge the Irish upstarts. Very ironic considering the attacks from the present day media. Does anyone know any details of this incident? I said 'of the day' but I'm not sure when that happened. Seems to me that is a very significant piece of evidence regarding this subject.

Guest Andypendek
no pope of rome??

Not heard that sung at Ibrox for the best part of 5 years - possibly longer.

He said he USED to join in with bigoted stuff, clearly referring to the past. Therefore NPOR is perfectly vaild in the context of his arguement.

I'm sure I'm missing something which I will be corrected on but I'm staggered to see people baldly saying NPOR is not bigoted. Maybe there's 2 versions.