Player Fitness/Training

McBoyd

I remember reading somewhere about in the Waddell years how he made them run up the Glades until half of them were physically sick, and used the old terracing at ibrox, again similarily, whilst also heavily working on upper body strength..

Should similar things be done now? I know we have Murray Park, but i think using the hillsides around glasgow for stamina/and leg muscles could be useful..

Especially all the countryside as you go out of Murray Park toward Milngavie.

Our players conditioning should be much better, but sending them up sand dunes until they're physically sick just isnt the way to go about it.

When it comes to extreme fitness cases, im sure we usually send the player(s) to some sort of camp. The god awful Emerson was one case where we done this IIRC.

Our players conditioning should be much better, but sending them up sand dunes until they're physically sick just isnt the way to go about it.

Well we wouldn't have to go as far as making them physically sick, but the sand dunes would build up the muscle well, as its hard to run on soft/loose sand.

Each player has a different training zone,and you can't tall the whole team to do the same training.

For some,it would be too hard.

They should all be able to run for extended periods of time, in hard conditions, no matter what position.

Each player has a different training zone,and you can't tall the whole team to do the same training.

They should all be able to run for extended periods of time, in hard conditions, no matter what position.

Yes,but you have to train each of the players gradually to get them up to their peak of fitness.

Running for long periods of time in hard conditions,would improve some of our players fitness,but not all of them.

Yes,but you have to train each of the players gradually to get them up to their peak of fitness.

Running for long periods of time in hard conditions,would improve some of our players fitness,but not all of them.

:lol:

If they all did it over and over every week, week out, it'd improve the lot of them, it'd hurt alot more for some, but would over time build the muscle.

You don't need to make players run until they're sick, that's just pointless.

Wenger makes his players do 7 minute runs at medium to high pace 6 or 7 times in the course of a normal training session, and that's believed to be much more beneficial than running around a park for half an hour.

I would like to see a normal training session at Murray Park though.

Wenger makes his players do 7 minute runs at medium to high pace 6 or 7 times in the course of a normal training session, and that's believed to be much more beneficial than running around a park for half an hour.

I should take that bit out, i just ment making them run till they can't anymore, not being sick :lol:

I'd like to see a training session to, to see what goes on.

alsoyou would run the risk of injury running on a rugged terrain. Surely we could get our players fit a more conventional way like other clubs do, no?

You'd think, not really working at the moment though eh? :craphead:

alsoyou would run the risk of injury running on a rugged terrain. Surely we could get our players fit a more conventional way like other clubs do, no?

Well, that's not too accurate.

We're obviously doing something right if Weir's still playing at 37 (or whatever it is), and in all fairness he coasts through games against weaker teams.

Ferguson is also a very fit guy, Hutton was a pure athlete, Thomson never stops etc. It's harsh to single out people like Charlie Adam and say that they're must be a problem.

We're obviously doing something right if Weir's still playing at 37 (or whatever it is), and in all fairness he coasts through games against weaker teams.

Ferguson is also a very fit guy, Hutton was a pure athlete, Thomson never stops etc. It's harsh to single out people like Charlie Adam and say that they're must be a problem.

But yet the team during some games still looks unable to take the game in the last 20-30 minutes of the match, they need that ability to keep playing at 90-100% the whole match..

Twas Gullane Sands mate. In those days, players made little or no attempt to keep themselves fit in the close season, and therefore suffered terribly when pre-season training began. The sands were used more as a kick-start than anything else...........a useful way of saying to the players "right you lazy barstewards, the holidays are over. Time to work!"

It became something of a tradition for some of us Bears to go down to Gullane just to watch the 1st day of torture. Great fun and a round o golf thrown in! :D Halcyon days!

But yet the team during some games still looks unable to take the game in the last 20-30 minutes of the match, they need that ability to keep playing at 90-100% the whole match..

But I don't know if that's fitness related, or if it's Walter telling them to see out the game and not make any silly mistakes.

Twas Gullane Sands mate. In those days, players made little or no attempt to keep themselves fit in the close season, and therefore suffered terribly when pre-season training began. The sands were used more as a kick-start than anything else...........a useful way of saying to the players "right you lazy barstewards, the holidays are over. Time to work!"

It became something of a tradition for some of us Bears to go down to Gullane just to watch the 1st day of torture. Great fun and a round o golf thrown in! :D Halcyon days!

:lol:(tu) thanks for that roy, good read.

But I don't know if that's fitness related, or if it's Walter telling them to see out the game and not make any silly mistakes.

Ah thats true :lol:

I remember reading somewhere about in the Waddell years how he made them run up the Glades until half of them were physically sick, and used the old terracing at ibrox, again similarily, whilst also heavily working on upper body strength..

Should similar things be done now? I know we have Murray Park, but i think using the hillsides around glasgow for stamina/and leg muscles could be useful..

Especially all the countryside as you go out of Murray Park toward Milngavie.

It's things like that which has allowed guys like Lee McCulloch, Kirk Broadfoot and most players in the SPL to become professional footballers, made Scottish football gain a reputation as being a footballing graveyard and left 90% of Scottish players miles away from other nations in terms of technical ability.

Coaches would rather put their players through a boot camp esque routine rather than let them focus on their football.

Jock Wallace made the players run up and down sand dunes until they were physically sick.

He also made players stand in a wall and the person with the hardest shot would smack it at them. :lol: anyone who moved would be fined/dropped (I can't remember)

I dunno Papa

When I done my coaching badge, we were told that high intensity training/running should not be done for any longer than 3 minutes. After that the muscle starts to break down and you begin to lose the good fluids in your body.

High intensity - low intensity - high intensity - low intensity , but always on the go

Jock Wallace made the players run up and down sand dunes until they were physically sick.

He also made players stand in a wall and the person with the hardest shot would smack it at them. :lol: anyone who moved would be fined/dropped (I can't remember)

That was it, Wallace.

:lol: That stand against the wall and be shot at is a good idea, will make them not scared of the ball over time :craphead:

We could just do that to Adam for fun :craphead: