Barry on Coisty taking over

Boab

Would we allow anyone else with no credentials as a managers to take on Rangers. I think this is the wrong move.

I love the way people come on here spouting rubbish about "credentials" like they are a must have before someone gets the job at Ibrox. Do these people forget a certain Paul Le Guen? He came with all the correct "credentials" and was wanted by a host of top European clubs and look where it got us.

Then there Advocaat, his "credentials" were far superior to those of his successor McLeish and you could argue that despite having less "credentials" and far less money McLeish was just as successful.

Would we allow anyone else with no credentials as a managers to take on Rangers. I think this is the wrong move.

I love the way people come on here spouting rubbish about "credentials" like they are a must have before someone gets the job at Ibrox. Do these people forget a certain Paul Le Guen? He came with all the correct "credentials" and was wanted by a host of top European clubs and look where it got us.

Then there Advocaat, his "credentials" were far superior to those of his successor McLeish and you could argue that despite having less "credentials" and far less money McLeish was just as successful.

Indeed, to add to the "credentials, and also the no credentials piece, some managers, and, their first jobs

Souness - Rangers, success?

Smith - Rangers - Success?

Wenger - AS Nancy then Monaco

Mourinho - Benfica

Keegan - Newcastle

Capello - AC Milan

Van Basten - Holland & Ajax B

Gullit - Chelsea

Rijkaard - Holland

Cruyff - Holland

Beckenbauer - West Germany

Hughes - Wales then Blackburn

The list goes on and on, if these players with ZERO experience were deemed good enough, and, these are national sides and "big" clubs (including premiership), why suggest McCoist would instantly fail? Its a stupid argument

It'd just be a contunuation of Smith IMO.

If he promised to come in and give youth a chance, play decent football and work hard on developing a scouting network, then I'd say yes. Who else would be better for a smooth transition into the Ibrox hotseat?

But I don't know if he could, seems like the easy choice.

It'd just be a contunuation of Smith IMO.

If he promised to come in and give youth a chance, play decent football and work hard on developing a scouting network, then I'd say yes. Who else would be better for a smooth transition into the Ibrox hotseat?

But I don't know if he could, seems like the easy choice.

Then again, I feel it could also be more like Smiths first time in charge, however, I agree about the rest, that is something the club desperately needs to do. I feel, when Le Guen was in charge, we went to far with non-Scots as it were, or, at least, some people who understood the game up here, and, with Smith, perhaps we have gone too far the other way, hence the lack of flair we have, now, we understand how to grind out results in the SPL. We need to get back the the middle ground

I love the idea of a fresh, hungry for success, young manager, and, I agree, it would be a smooth transition. As long as there were new ideas of course. He also has spent a lot of time as a pundit, covering champs league etc, so, you would expect he perhaps has a better worldwide knowledge than Smith perhaps?

Sometimes the easy choice is the right choice

McCoist may well be a great manager if he takes over in his own right.

Unlike Souness and Keegan he has had a grounding and experience in coaching and management.

However, unlike Souness and Keegan he will not have a free rein to spend millions and millions on signings and unlike Smith he will not have a chairman who was prepared to outspend clubs in the bigger leagues and was happy to spend twice as much as our rivals to buy success.

My reservation with Ally is whether he can make the transition from the joking "one of the boys" member of the coaching staff to the detached figure of authority and discipline which is needed for a successful manager. That is the biggest challenge for an ex player who wants success as a manager. Luckily Ally has had years away from the playing side and has had experience in the media side of sport so that may stand him in good stead.

On the down side I cringe when he interrupts the shooting practice warm up for the players when he insists on taking the ball away so he can shoot; so maybe the possibility of detachment is still a bit away.

Time alone will tell; all else is opinion and conjecture.

McCoist may well be a great manager if he takes over in his own right.

Unlike Souness and Keegan he has had a grounding and experience in coaching and management.

However, unlike Souness and Keegan he will not have a free rein to spend millions and millions on signings and unlike Smith he will not have a chairman who was prepared to outspend clubs in the bigger leagues and was happy to spend twice as much as our rivals to buy success.

My reservation with Ally is whether he can make the transition from the joking "one of the boys" member of the coaching staff to the detached figure of authority and discipline which is needed for a successful manager. That is the biggest challenge for an ex player who wants success as a manager. Luckily Ally has had years away from the playing side and has had experience in the media side of sport so that may stand him in good stead.

On the down side I cringe when he interrupts the shooting practice warm up for the players when he insists on taking the ball away so he can shoot; so maybe the possibility of detachment is still a bit away.

Time alone will tell; all else is opinion and conjecture.

(tu) top post mate

Perhaps, the shooting bit is, him saying to our forwards

"FFS, you do it like this"