***Official NHL Thread***

bluenose_72

The US team lacks size, which may not benefit them on the smaller NA rinks. But they definitely have some skill there and 2 great goalies in Miller and Thomas.

Canada and Russia are the stand out teams. But USA, Sweden, Czech Republic and Finland will all be battling for 3rd and 4th.

Just watched the replay of the US-Canada gold medal game- probably enjoyed that as much as any hockey game I've seen in the last 4-5 years and I mean that.

Jordan Schroeder (who the Stars passed on in the 1st round of the draft), Jerry D'Amigo, Derek Stepan, as well as John Carlson all looked like fantastic prospects. If Carlson starts to get regular playing time, I'm going to go try and catch a Caps game in person in the next couple of weeks- he's got a chance to play at a high level in the league for 15 years

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Ryan Miller is most likely to be the starting goaltender for the US Olympic team. The picture below is what he will be wearing during the Olympic games.

bilde_medium.jpg

http://www.sbnation.com/2010/1/26/1271550/...er-ryan-millers

Ryan Miller will most likely be the starting goaltender for Team USA in the 2010 Winter Olympics and to honor that, Miller and goaltender mask company Warwick Mask & Equipment Inc. have unveiled their new creation.

Miller and Warwick have been working together for most of Miller's career, and Warwick has done masks for a handful of NHL goaltenders, including Evgeni Nabokov and Tomas Vokoun.

http://sports.yahoo.com/olympics/vancouver...?urn=oly,216353

Ryan Miller is the goalie for the Buffalo Sabres, and this February he will be repping the United States to the fullest as the number one netman for the national team. And when I say he's repping the U.S. to the fullest, I mean it. Have a look at that mask.

It doesn't get much more American than Uncle Sam with a tattoo, about ready to layeth the smack down.

Designed by Warwick Mask & Equipment, Inc. in Port Huron, Mich., the mask features that fearsome Uncle Sam, along with Olympics logos, and patriotic sayings that aren't pictured but are probably pretty fearsome in their own right.

In addition to Miller's mask, the shop will be doing the Olympic masks for Russia's Evgeni Nabokov and the Czech Republic's Tomas Vokoun. They'll also be doing a custom guitar for Nickelback to use at the closing ceremonies, but let's not hold that against them.

Miller has been getting his masks from Warwick for years, dating to when he was a teenager. Because of this owner Gary Warwick, Sr. and painter Ray Bishop have the utmost respect for the goalie. Bishop told the Times Herald that Miller is "really good with ideas," and that he "will sketch stuff up even. He's not a bad artist himself."

Looks pretty cool to me. What do you think?

Well, the mask looks nice, but it's the wins that I'd like to see USA hockey team accumulate.

Ilya Kovalchuk is going to be traded by the Atlanta Thrashers.

GM Don Waddell confirmed that Kovy rejected a 12 year $101million offer from Atlanta.

Haha I saw that story and thought you might already be on the Prozac!

Haha for a start I was gutted. But after reading DW's statement about what he rejected, he can GTF. He continually said how he wanted to stay in ATL, his family loved it blah blah blah.

I just hope we get a good return in a trade. Front runners if you believe the rumours seem to be New Jersey. I personally don't want anything from them except Parise or Zajac and NJ will never trade them. It's rumoured Rolston would be involved but he's 36. Atlanta need young players to add to a solid young core. Perfect trading partners are LA and Chicago. Both have young talent in abundance.

Kovy + Afinogenov to LA for Johnson, Moller and Simmonds would be awesome but will never ever happen. LA want to hold onto Simmonds.

Haha for a start I was gutted. But after reading DW's statement about what he rejected, he can GTF. He continually said how he wanted to stay in ATL, his family loved it blah blah blah.

I just hope we get a good return in a trade. Front runners if you believe the rumours seem to be New Jersey. I personally don't want anything from them except Parise or Zajac and NJ will never trade them. It's rumoured Rolston would be involved but he's 36. Atlanta need young players to add to a solid young core. Perfect trading partners are LA and Chicago. Both have young talent in abundance.

Kovy + Afinogenov to LA for Johnson, Moller and Simmonds would be awesome but will never ever happen. LA want to hold onto Simmonds.

Yeah it's strange that he would reject that deal, who's going to give him better money? There must be problems between him and the higher-ups in the organization or he's just getting bad advice from his agent.

Do you think Chicago would give up Kris Versteeg?

Chicago has cap issues and would have to give up either Sharp, Versteeg, Bfygulien or Barker.

It has been confirmed that Kovy is being traded tonight. Kevin Allen of USA Today has tweeted it's to an Eastern team. Another source is tweeting it's to either Caps, Devils or Flyers.

Imagine Kovy and Ovy on the same team... :anguish:

TG, I am sure you weren't surprised that Hitchcock was fired by the Blue Jackets. I recognized his name because he once coached and led the Dallas Stars to the Stanley Cup title.