***Official NHL Thread***

bluenose_72

Martin Brodeur got his 104th NHL shutout - that is now the all time record for shutouts in the NHL.

What an achievement for possibly the best goaltender of all time.

Not the best style to watch, but gets the job done and a great achivment at the highest level. 104 shutouts it hard to get your head around that, shame he played for NJ all these years. Hes had a lot of help from some great D-men over the years...LOL im just a bitter Rangers fan.

This is pathetic.

Atlanta dominates the first 8 minutes of the game against Boston. Then the Bruins get a powerplay, score on it and get 2 quick goals after it to make it 3-0. Pavelec has been pulled and Atlanta are now all over the place!

I meant end of the first there :anguish:

Right at the start of the 2nd Evander Kane scored a wrap around, but Colby Armstrong was called for goaltender intereference......maybe I am being biased but I thought it was a soft call! :lol:

Needless to say Chara scored on the PP to make it 4-2.

Like you said cstamom, good game so far (tu)

I meant end of the first there :anguish:

Right at the start of the 2nd Evander Kane scored a wrap around, but Colby Armstrong was called for goaltender intereference......maybe I am being biased but I thought it was a soft call! :lol:

Needless to say Chara scored on the PP to make it 4-2.

Like you said cstamom, good game so far (tu)

I am knitting, so I am more listening than watching.

Turning into a joke now. Kovalchuk outmuscles Bergeron and gets called for a trip <cr>

Then Savard goes after Afinogenov, Afinogenov retaliates and gets called for a slash. Bruins eventually get a brief 5 on 3 and make it 5-2.

Below is Ross McKeon's NHL Power Ratings on the 30 teams. Whaddya think?

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/news;_ylt=AvvA...o&type=lgns

Ross McKeon, Yahoo! Sports Dec 24, 2:00 pm ES

While you’d think all most hockey players might want for Christmas is their two front teeth, it actually goes much deeper during this holiday season of gift-giving.

Players tend to put their team first, and that’s what we’ll focus on too, as this Olympic-accompanied season nears the halfway mark with a festive and mandatory two-day break in the schedule to pause, reflect and open a few presents.

Gary Bettman? Cue the elves, and let’s see what everyone received this holiday season.

1. Pittsburgh Penguins (26-11-1, Previous: 6) – Nothing, they’re already plenty gifted.

2. Washington Capitals (23-8-6, Previous: 4) – A suit of armor for Alexander Ovechkin, who looks bound and determined to keep playing his all-out style.

3. Chicago Blackhawks (24-9-3, Previous: 3) – Maybe, just maybe, Marian Hossa(notes) picked the right team this time.

4. New Jersey Devils (26-8-1, Previous: 1) – Anaheim to keep going south so a certain veteran defenseman can return to join his brother and take a run similar to what the pair accomplished in 2007 as Ducks.

5. San Jose Sharks (22-8-7, Previous: 1) – It’s not so much what they may want now as what they would really like in early-to-mid June.

6. Calgary Flames (20-11-5, Previous: 10) – More success at home since nine wins in 16 games at the Saddledome doesn’t exactly fall under the heading of “difficult building to play in.”

7. Buffalo Sabres (22-11-3, Previous: 4) – More of the same from Ryan Miller(notes), who avoids last season’s injury bug in the second half.

8. Los Angeles Kings (22-12-3, Previous: 13) – To wake up New Year’s Day and realize the surprising first half isn’t really a dream after all.

9. Boston Bruins (18-11-7, Previous: 12) – A balmy 30 degrees and a few snowflakes on New Year’s Day.

10. Detroit Red Wings (18-14-5, Previous: 15) – A clean bill of health, and the realization no one really feels sorry for the rash of injuries considering all the success this franchise has had.

11. Colorado Avalanche (21-12-6, Previous: 7) – Nothing more than simple stocking stuffers since they already owe the house with those tremendous picks of Matt Duchene(notes) and Ryan O’Reilly(notes)

12. Phoenix Coyotes (23-13-2, Previous: 20) – A little fan support. OK, a lot of fan support.

13. Vancouver Canucks (21-16-0, Previous: 22) – Success on the road because once Jan. 30 hits it’ll be 14 straight games away from the Winter Olympic city through March 10.

14. Nashville Predators (22-12-3, Previous: 23) – Respect. Do you realize that if they sweep during regulation of a home-and-home series against the Blackhawks coming out of the Christmas break the Preds will be tied for first place in the division?

15. Dallas Stars (16-10-11, Previous: 18) – Fewer games that require overtime and a shootout. Otherwise their legs are going to fall off by February.

16. New York Rangers (18-16-3, Previous: 16) – A way to find some rest of Henrik Lundqvist(notes).

17. Atlanta Thrashers (18-14-4, Previous: 17) – An extension for Ilya Kovalchuk(notes).

18. Ottawa Senators (18-15-4, Previous: 14) – A real No. 1 goalie.

19. St. Louis Blues (17-14-5, Previous: 25) – A little offensive punch might me nice. Wait, no, that’s what they have now. A lot of offensive punch would be nice.

20. Minnesota Wild (18-16-3, Previous: 28) – Fire retardant. Lots and lots of fire retardant.

21. Philadelphia Flyers (16-18-2, Previous: 8) – Here’s to a fight-filled Winter Classic to turn their season around – yeah, right.

22. Tampa Bay Lightning (13-15-9, Previous: 9) – Rekindling of the owners’ feud between Oren Koules and Len Barrie because, despite the emergence of Steven Stamkos(notes), this team was still a lot more interesting when there was in-fighting.

23. Montreal Canadiens (18-18-3, Previous: 24) – A time machine so Scott Gomez(notes) could go back and rediscover the player he once was, or at least resemble something similar to what the Habs thought they were getting in the offseason.

24. Anaheim Ducks (15-15-7, Previous: 26) – An identity like they had in 2007 when they won the you-know-what.

25. Florida Panthers (16-16-7, Previous: 27) – A sniff of the playoffs.

26. Edmonton Oilers (15-18-4, Previous: 21) – A return to the good ‘ol glory days, even if for just one season.

27. Columbus Blue Jackets (14-17-7, Previous: 11) – For the old Steve Mason(notes) to emerge.

28. New York Islanders (14-17-7, Previous: 19) – Isn’t it obvious? At the risk of sounding unoriginal, a new arena.

29. Toronto Maple Leafs (13-17-8, Previous: 30) – Relocation to Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, until they get better, then they can return to the great microscope known as Toronto.

30. Carolina Hurricanes (9-22-6, Previous: 29) – A complete do-over.

This is the IIHF (International Ice Hockey Federation) World Under-20 Junior Hockey Championships.

http://www.iihf.com/

The schedule:

http://www.iihf.com/de/channels0910/wm20/schedule.html

The US beat Slovakia last night, 7-3 and defeated Switzerland, 3-0 today. Tomorrow, the US will play Lativa.

I understand the Canadians are doing well, too.