Man Utd and Real M. Gentlemans Agreement

joeli

Manchester United and Real Madrid have reportedly come to a gentleman's agreement over the transfer of Cristiano Ronaldo.

El Mundo, the Spanish daily newspaper, reports that after Real's 2-0 defeat by Barcelona on Saturday, Pedro Trapote, a club director, told a confidant that a deal for the Portugal winger was already in place for the summer. Trapote claimed the clubs had pledged to keep a vow of silence after agreeing the deal.

In the summer, Ronaldo said joining the Spanish club would be the fulfillment of a dream. However, United fought hard to keep the player, who eventually admitted he would remain at Old Trafford for the time being. However, reports in Spain suggest Ronaldo only agreed to commit to United after making a pact with Sir Alex Ferguson that this would be his last season at the club.

"If you are asking me what we are going to do now then I would tell you that we have already signed the best player for the summer," Trapote is quoted as saying. "Are you talking about Cristiano?" was the reply.

Related Links

* Berbatov ruled out of Osaka clash

* Ronaldo confirms: I'm staying at United

* Ronaldo risks fresh Ferguson row

"The best of the best. It is Cristiano, there is no other. It is best to not say anything because there are some clauses that prevent us from announcing it now. For us it would be a good time, but we should not do that. But it is not bad, eh?"

United maintain that they will not sell Ronaldo under any circumstances, with Ferguson and David Gill, the United chief executive, sharing the belief that Real are deluding themselves barely a year after the player signed a five-year contract to stay in England.

The revelations come with United in Japan for the Club World Cup and before the Champions League draw on Friday, where the teams could be drawn together in the knockout stages.

Could be fabrication to get the fans back on side, cant see Fergie agreeing to this sort of deal