Why has Edu been completely ignored?

Danny

Walter Smith has to take the blame. He was the one who signed him. It's not the 1st time Smith has signed a player and obviously thought he is not good enough to play in the 1st team. £2.7m spent on a player who is wasting away in the reserves is a disgrace - add Velicka to that and that's almost £4m!

Smith should have had a look at Edu more than he did, he should have travelled to America to watch him on a few occassions - he didn't. He wanted him earlier on but we did not have the money to buy him. Smith then left it to MoJo and his brother in law(who lives in America) for updates.

Why did he take such a risk, why did he not have a look around about Europe and find a player who would cost the same, maybe even less but actually offer something to the team?

In the games Edu has featured in the 1st team, he's not put a foot wrong bar the odd bad pass and being caught out of position. He took 15-20 minutes to settle on his debut. His form in the reserves has been up and down but so has Adam, McCulloch and Novo and they have all been given a chance.

The injury to Kevin Thomson was the perfect time to bring Maurice Edu in, instead our manager would rather bring in a player who had not played in months, was just back from an operation, had not kicked a ball in months or performed in a long time and was not even 50% fit - he either didn't trust Edu or could not wait to get Ferguson back in - I'd go with both of those points.

Walter Smith should take all the blame here, especially after some of the decisions he's made this and last season.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm pretty sure he didn't say he was struggling with adapting to the Scottish game. From what I remember he said something more along the lines of that he was surprised by it, which really isn't the same thing. I'd like to see him given a real chance, and not get one game followed by 3 months in the reserves, but it's just not going to happen. It's unfair on Edu to suggest he's not good enough without giving the guy a chance to prove himself. I expect to see Ferguson start every game from now until he retires, or a manager who has a clue arrives.

I expect to see Ferguson start every game from now until he retires, or a manager who has a clue arrives.

I'm just waiting to come on here or the Rangers website and see that Mr Undroppable has been rewarded with a new 5 year deal.

Edu was a stupid expensive signing, unseen by the management.

He has played 1 season in what I consider a very poor standard league. Probably like most US players good technically but just not able to transfer this into playing games at a reasonably pacy competitive level. Tha games he played he was tidy doing simple things but looked shocked at the movement of his opposition and did not appear to know what to do.

He has struggled even at reserve level, by his own admission, because of the pace and aggression in which even these games are played.

I do not think we would expect a player who played a season in scottish division one to come into our team and successfully play an important role unless he had proved he was an exceptional talent, which Edu had not done.

So maybe he is another expensive player bought for potential to be moulded by our coaching staff or just yet another bad piece of business?

Only time will tell.

And there is the answer Danny, and others who seem to think its a big unanswered conspiracy. Its pretty simple really.

Perhapps though, we could blame Walter for the Scottish weather, and, the way the game is played in Scotland, and, that would justify things?

I'm not sure it's a valid answer at all, given Lafferty has struggled yet got more than one game.

Furthermore from what I saw on his debut, Edu wasn't struggling at all.

So yeah, let us blame Walter Smith anyway - maybe not for the weather and the style of the Scottish game. But if it makes us feel better we can blame him for them regardless :pipe:

It is the players own answer though, so, from the horses mouth, really has to be the most valid one out there haha

Actually I don't trust a damn word footballers say in the media.

Boumsong, Shevchenko then Cuellar killed that one.

But you're right in that it's the most valid one. But by default the horse's mouth spouts manure in this business, so valid in this case means 'slightly less bullshit, maybe?' :pipe:

I'm pretty sure he didn't say he was struggling with adapting to the Scottish game. From what I remember he said something more along the lines of that he was surprised by it, which really isn't the same thing. I'd like to see him given a real chance, and not get one game followed by 3 months in the reserves, but it's just not going to happen. It's unfair on Edu to suggest he's not good enough without giving the guy a chance to prove himself. I expect to see Ferguson start every game from now until he retires, or a manager who has a clue arrives.

Overall words mean nothing - let's just see the poor guy play and make our minds up for ourselves if he's struggling.

And after how he's done in his two displays so far, I'd argue he's doing fine, and just thoroughly frustrated at being frozen out for not being Ferguson.

I expect to see Ferguson start every game from now until he retires, or a manager who has a clue arrives.

I'm just waiting to come on here or the Rangers website and see that Mr Undroppable has been rewarded with a new 5 year deal.

10 year deal has just been awarded to him, didn't you hear?

"Barry's had an outstanding season, even from the treatment table. His devotion to Rangers and invaluable contribution last year see this contract given to him, not just with respect, but love, admiration and undying worship. I would personally like to see him being given this club for his next birthday."

Edu was a stupid expensive signing, unseen by the management.

He has played 1 season in what I consider a very poor standard league. Probably like most US players good technically but just not able to transfer this into playing games at a reasonably pacy competitive level. Tha games he played he was tidy doing simple things but looked shocked at the movement of his opposition and did not appear to know what to do.

He has struggled even at reserve level, by his own admission, because of the pace and aggression in which even these games are played.

I do not think we would expect a player who played a season in scottish division one to come into our team and successfully play an important role unless he had proved he was an exceptional talent, which Edu had not done.

So maybe he is another expensive player bought for potential to be moulded by our coaching staff or just yet another bad piece of business?

Only time will tell.

And there is the answer Danny, and others who seem to think its a big unanswered conspiracy. Its pretty simple really.

Perhapps though, we could blame Walter for the Scottish weather, and, the way the game is played in Scotland, and, that would justify things?

I'm not sure it's a valid answer at all, given Lafferty has struggled yet got more than one game.

Furthermore from what I saw on his debut, Edu wasn't struggling at all.

So yeah, let us blame Walter Smith anyway - maybe not for the weather and the style of the Scottish game. But if it makes us feel better we can blame him for them regardless :pipe:

It is the players own answer though, so, from the horses mouth, really has to be the most valid one out there haha

Actually I don't trust a damn word footballers say in the media.

Boumsong, Shevchenko then Cuellar killed that one.

But you're right in that it's the most valid one. But by default the horse's mouth spouts manure in this business, so valid in this case means 'slightly less bullshit, maybe?' :pipe:

They are ardly the most intelligent trustworthy types, I agree haha

At least there hasnt been an offer for him, and, he is saying he wants to be a lifer!, just that its harder than he thought

Surely Edu has adjusted by now? I honestly don't see anything wrong with rotating guys in and out of the team...that's the only way you know you're going to eventually put the best group of guys on the team. But obviously with Ferguson in the team regardless, the formation would have to change, and I don't see Walter doing that.

£2.7m spent on a player who can't even get a place on the bench - fcuking ridiculous.

Barry Ferguson has had his chance and he's not taken it, he's proved that he's finished. He should be dropped with Edu replacing him. The fact that Ferguson came straight back into the side, bypassing Edu was a disgrace.

No wonder Edu is finding it hard to settle and does not like the weather. Sitting, rotting away in the reserves is no use, especially after not putting a foot wrong in the games he's played in.

Yet another one of Waltersauras weird mysteries. Maurice Edu was a player we did not need.

spot on

if some one were to tell you that their RESERVES were made up of players who cost 2.5million and the likes then youd think the first team must be unbelievably good if the likes of players costin that much cant get a look in. where as rangers is just a joke these days