selling club

gsa

Alot has been said of late about us now being a selling club, it amazes me that celtic fans in particular talk with glee about rangers selling their prized assets.. who in the celtic team could move to the epl? they simply have not had players like van bronckhorst, arteta, boumsong, hutton and cuellar who were clearly too good for spl football. if they had you can be sure they wouldn't have hung around for long. bellamy summed it up last week when he said celtic could never afford his transfer fee or wages - that must have stung 'look how well run we are' liewell.

What I want to know is who in the world apart from man utd, chelsea, real madrid, barcelona, ac and inter milan and bayern munich (who generally seem to keep their best players) isn't a selling club??

Spurs lost keane and berbatov, Sevilla lost alves, Ajax lost huntelaar, sporting lisbon are about to lose veloso and moutinho, lyon won't hang on to benzema for long. it is a fact of life that 99.9% of clubs lose their best players at some point. even clubs in leagues much wealthier than the spl lose their stars, how then do people expect us to keep top players in scotland to slug it out against hamilton and caley?

I for one have no problem with us being a selling club so long as it is done at the right time and for the right money.

Surely we should be trying to follow the porto, psv, lyon model? Take in young players from south america, africa, asia, australia, the u.s etc who are either not ready to play in a 'major' league or not yet on the radar of the top clubs, achieve domestic succes with them and make sure you always qualify for the champions league where most years you will have a decent run and then sell them on for a profit after a couple of years. add in home grown players to this mix and you have a sustainable recipe for success.

the only problems being the visa situation in scotland - which can be worked around and the fact you need a real football coach in charge - someone who can develop young players and improve them. we can't work around this while wally is in charge.

Does this not make more sense than what we are doing now? haphazard buying and selling, having to move players mid season to make up for money wasted in previous windows?

If fans like me can see the benefits of a long term, realistic plan what the hell are the people who run the club doing? the sooner we get rid of bain and wally the better. we need people with foresight dealing with transfers and coaching the team.

Good post, and most of which I agree with. The problem with taking players in from South America and such is simply due to both the country and league: no lad who's been raised in the sun wants to come to Scotland to play a cold wednesday night in Inverness, and no player who copied their skills off of Pele would in their right mind want to come to a league where flair is looked down upon.

But I agree we should be developing youth; I think everyone on this forum does. We spent a lot of money on Murray Park, and even though we all slag the Ibrox staff off rotten, in the next few years I think we'll start to see some of the talent coming through.

I think the work permit situation in the UK does more harm than good for football clubs. Teams in Portugal, France, etc. are able to get quality players from South America and Africa with relative ease because they have agreements with their former colonies.

Juno pretty much sums it up though. No player who is used to playing in nice weather and brought up playing attacking, flair football is going to want to come to Scotland and play defensive, power football in the cold.

We can't buy players from South America. The law forbids it. Otherwise we could make loads of money by selling them onto the Premiership.

alot of south americans can aquire either an italian or portuguese passport.

Lyon a selling club...aye nae bother

well actually their chairman has gone on record time and time again stating that they are a selling club. diarra £20 mill + to real madrid, essian £20 mill + to chelsea, malouda £12 mill + to chelsea, ben arfa £12 mill + to marseille benzema will go next...

get your facts straight before you dish out smart arsed replies

Another thing about buying youth though; we simply don't have the money to get the ones who you could sell on. Ajax payed what... 10+mil for Klaas Jan? Lyon about 7 for Lloris? And Arsenal payed 5mil for Aaron Ramsey! Pretty extreme examples, but you need some cash to pull these guys in.

Murray Park is where it's all at. (tu)

well actually their chairman has gone on record time and time again stating that they are a selling club. diarra £20 mill + to real madrid, essian £20 mill + to chelsea, malouda £12 mill + to chelsea, ben arfa £12 mill + to marseille benzema will go next...

yet they still spend big bucks too

Another thing about buying youth though; we simply don't have the money to get the ones who you could sell on. Ajax payed what... 10+mil for Klaas Jan? Lyon about 7 for Lloris? And Arsenal payed 5mil for Aaron Ramsey! Pretty extreme examples, but you need some cash to pull these guys in.

Murray Park is where it's all at. (tu)

i agree, but there are also some bargains further afield - e.g farfan moved to psv for a small fee and then sold to schalke for £12 mill, michael bradly moved to herenveen from the mls and then moved to munchengladbach for a few million, brett emerton moved from aus to holland for less than £500,00 and then was sold on for decent money. lisandro cost porto £1.5 mill and will certainly command a big fee when he moves.

I think the work permit situation in the UK does more harm than good for football clubs. Teams in Portugal, France, etc. are able to get quality players from South America and Africa with relative ease because they have agreements with their former colonies.

Juno pretty much sums it up though. No player who is used to playing in nice weather and brought up playing attacking, flair football is going to want to come to Scotland and play defensive, power football in the cold.

Plenty of South American players have come up through the Dutch league, and the Netherlands has a pretty similar climate to the UK. Plus, I would also argue that if a player can't play in bad conditions, then his attitude isn't right, and would not be worth it.

Yeah, but if a young Brazilian or Argentinian had a choice between playing in the SPL versus playing in Spain or Portugal, chances are he will choose one of the latter two countries because of the playing style and climate.

Crackin post and i do belive these players are out there. However uprooting them is the problem, just look at arsenal thev had Fabregas since he was 16 and settling wasnt a problem.

The only issue is the work permit. Chelsea got around it with Alex as he was a Chelsea player of some sort when he was at PSV they were waiting until he had the required criteria for a work permit, as there is no regulations in holland. Hense the reason they bring in so many South Americans

:mutley:

OWNED!!!