Youth or no league

Chef

We are currently in a bad position as a club, we have to many non starters. you may shoot me down but i myself would like to see the youth players getting first team options and i would be willing for a season to go without any accolades in order to get these young rising talents on the pitch, then we can see over the course of a season how good a position we could be in for the foreseable future.

and also playing youth doesnt nessesarily mean we still cant get the second spot or even better it, afterall the youth would be playing for the club, not half heartedly playing for a wage, our team lack determination, and in my eyes we wont have more determined players than the young uns wanting to take that next big step in there rangers careers.

the down side is can the fans be at ease with this, risking trophies in order to get this club going again, from the grass roots

You only get the same gaurentees with young players as you do with new signings. Charlie Adam being the obvious example. Was the 'next big thing' in the reserves, look at him now. Charlie Miller before him. We would save a fortune in squad players though. I would rather have Fleck or Shinnie in reserve rather than McCulloch or Velicka at the cost of 25k a week for doing sod all. We could introduce them gradually without weakening the squad IMO.

I actually think that if Smith had a transformation and started playing Fleck Aaron and Edu we could win the league.

Currently the way the team is set up and with the personnel and tactics used, I don't think we will win the league, we are far too predictable and pedestrian.

So I would accept anything because we haven't got a chance anyway atm.

Don't think it is a matter of youth or no league. No one is saying fill the team with youngsters. There are a couple of players who could easily be integrated without danger, let's face it we often play at the moment with 2 or 3 passengers in many games.

Agreed and I feel Aaron and Fleck could be managed if we drop Ferguson and play Fleck on the left. Davis and Mendes in the middle. Edu too should get a chance. We have young players that can be fitted in. Naismith could move up front too, but he needs time.

Have celtic not won the reserve league 7 years in a row ? If so it looks like there miles ahead of us in that department too. :angry2:

That doesn't mean a great deal to me. I'd rather win the Under 19's than the reserves because you can play a full strength squad in the reserves. The Under 19's are just for that age group and the reserves are mainly for players coming back from injury.

right, think its ma own doing but i never intended for anyone to think i was talking about the whole team here, i was just thinking along the lines of 5 or 6 young players that we have but dont seem to get the chances, even when we are a couple of goals ahead, i think we could still compete for the top but if we had a season with 5 or 6 young players on the first team sheet it wouldnt be plain sailing, but could be productive in pushing there careers with our club, ui cqant imagine they would stick around forever if they aint gonna get to the first team.

basically we aint won for nearly four year, dropping a few and getting the young ones on will change the dimensions of our play straight away. phew

Should be remembered that we are only five points behind and our main rivals are not exactly frightening. Not a time to give up.

I agree celtic are nothing special, as things stand just now we have every chance of winning the league.

It's the end of this month that worry's me. Celtic have money to spend, they can strenghen their squad in this transfer window

while we need to sell.

It's hard to take, all my life it's been the other way around.

Should be remembered that we are only five points behind and our main rivals are not exactly frightening. Not a time to give up.

I agree celtic are nothing special, as things stand just now we have every chance of winning the league.

It's the end of this month that worry's me. Celtic have money to spend, they can strenghen their squad in this transfer window

while we need to sell.

It's hard to take, all my life it's been the other way around.

I agree that Celtic are favourites and are likely to strengthen but there's no guarantee that any spending will work out in practice. I don't think it's time yet to throw loads of youngsters in.

As for your last point...I've seen more Celtic league wins than Rangers, it's just a matter of age. Ten years older or younger and it would be Rangers who had won the most. That suggests that the pendulum will swing again.

I can't see Walter risking too many in the league but I thinkthe cups are different. Last nights game was an ideal opportunity to get the youngsters playing. Fleck got 10 minutes but that's not enough. I'd also like to see Aaron and Edu get a chance. I've heard Wilson looks promising too. Perhaps Forfar is the persfect game to play a few more of these players.

Not mutually exclusive.

Fleck etc would win us the league.

And if we lose it this year by playing the same duds, and then again next year.

Where will we be - we will have kids with no first team experience at like 20 years old, and Celtic will continue to win as we dont have the money to replace our shite/old players.