Who's To Blame?

Tumshie

A lot's been made about the We Deserve Better campaign and while I'm not a member a of the RST they have raised some valid points. There are a collection of individuals responsible for where we are both on and off the park.

1. Sir David Murray - No-one can say he hasn't been good for Rangers. If I was a Rangers fan and we were going for 9 in a row and chasing European glory I would have stuck my hand in my pocket to try and achieve it. We all know time and circumstance have changed and he wants to sell. My major gripe with Murray is his usual 'Trust me I know what I'm Doing' statement that he has put out and totally belittles the Rangers support. As a club we have lost direction and at the moment we are a rudderless ship. From Advocaat to McLeish to Le Guen to the current regime there is no long term plan in place and that problem has got to be put squarly at Murray's door. The suttle soundbites that come out from him e.g. stadium expansion used to excite me now they are laughable.

2. Martin Bain - Our esteemed Chief Executive. He is one man who seems to be getting of scot-free in all of this. The role of the Chief Exec is to sort out the day-to-day running of the club. So why in one of our most successful season in which we raked in £20m in Europe and over £10m in transfers did we still manage to make a loss? Bain's record since he took over has been awful. From getting rid of top men behind the scenes (Campbell Ogilvie and others) to his continued lack of support to Rangers fans over issues such as sectarianism Bain has proved he is nothing more than a lackey to SDM. But I think his lasting legacy is that since Bain took over as Chief Exec Rangers have gone from being miles ahead of Celtic commercially to lagging miles behind. As much as I hate the tattie munchers they are raking a helluva lot more money thanks to Lawwell actually working for his money. Bain bleats about Rangers not being able to compete with the Premiership. For a change he should get off his backside and reclaim the shops from JJB and start expanding our global brand across America, Canada and other Commonwealth/Asian countries like a Chief Exec is supposed to. What sums Bain up for me is not giving Cuellar a new contract in Jan when he was playin out his skin with a higher release clause then offering a new contract worth less when he was about to leave. fuckin diddy

3. Walter Smith - Unfortunatley wer not in the 9IAR era anymore. Smith's record in the transfer market has been patchy at best. True he brought in good signings like Cuellar, Davie Weir, Thomson, Mendes and Davis. But signings like Whittaker, Darcheville, Beasley, McCulloch and Dailly are not good enough for our club. Add to that the £7m that sits on our bench every single week and his lack of interest in our young players Wattie's not above criticism. We all loved the European run last season but we can't live in the past at Rangers

A lot's been made about the We Deserve Better campaign and while I'm not a member a of the RST they have raised some valid points. There are a collection of individuals responsible for where we are both on and off the park.

1. Sir David Murray - No-one can say he hasn't been good for Rangers. If I was a Rangers fan and we were going for 9 in a row and chasing European glory I would have stuck my hand in my pocket to try and achieve it. We all know time and circumstance have changed and he wants to sell. My major gripe with Murray is his usual 'Trust me I know what I'm Doing' statement that he has put out and totally belittles the Rangers support. As a club we have lost direction and at the moment we are a rudderless ship. From Advocaat to McLeish to Le Guen to the current regime there is no long term plan in place and that problem has got to be put squarly at Murray's door. The suttle soundbites that come out from him e.g. stadium expansion used to excite me now they are laughable.

2. Martin Bain - Our esteemed Chief Executive. He is one man who seems to be getting of scot-free in all of this. The role of the Chief Exec is to sort out the day-to-day running of the club. So why in one of our most successful season in which we raked in £20m in Europe and over £10m in transfers did we still manage to make a loss? Bain's record since he took over has been awful. From getting rid of top men behind the scenes (Campbell Ogilvie and others) to his continued lack of support to Rangers fans over issues such as sectarianism Bain has proved he is nothing more than a lackey to SDM. But I think his lasting legacy is that since Bain took over as Chief Exec Rangers have gone from being miles ahead of Celtic commercially to lagging miles behind. As much as I hate the tattie munchers they are raking a helluva lot more money thanks to Lawwell actually working for his money. Bain bleats about Rangers not being able to compete with the Premiership. For a change he should get off his backside and reclaim the shops from JJB and start expanding our global brand across America, Canada and other Commonwealth/Asian countries like a Chief Exec is supposed to. What sums Bain up for me is not giving Cuellar a new contract in Jan when he was playin out his skin with a higher release clause then offering a new contract worth less when he was about to leave. fuckin diddy

3. Walter Smith - Unfortunatley wer not in the 9IAR era anymore. Smith's record in the transfer market has been patchy at best. True he brought in good signings like Cuellar, Davie Weir, Thomson, Mendes and Davis. But signings like Whittaker, Darcheville, Beasley, McCulloch and Dailly are not good enough for our club. Add to that the £7m that sits on our bench every single week and his lack of interest in our young players Wattie's not above criticism. We all loved the European run last season but we can't live in the past at Rangers

Who employed 2 and 3 though, no 1 is ultimately responsible.

Sir David Murray hasn't been good for Rangers.

There. You were wrong.

Before David Murray, 2nd place was a sucess. Now because of David Murray 2nd place is a dissapointment. If it wasn't for David Murray players such as Brian Laudraup and Gazza wouldn't have graced the Ibrox turf. If it wasn't for David Murray, 9IAR woudn't have been achieveable. If it wasn't for David Murray the European sucess of '93 and '08 wouldn't have happened.

I will admit he has made mistakes, but not everyone is perfect. IMO the person behind this mess is Martin Bain and to some aspect Walter Smith. Yes, David Murray was the one who hired them and maybe that is one his problems, is that he is too loyal to his employes. Which shows he is good man who wouldn't do something, if it wasn't the right thing to do!

At the moment it's Celtic's time, but believe me when I say we will have our time again because We Are The People :rangers:

Sir David Murray hasn't been good for Rangers.

There. You were wrong.

Before David Murray, 2nd place was a sucess. Now because of David Murray 2nd place is a dissapointment. If it wasn't for David Murray players such as Brian Laudraup and Gazza wouldn't have graced the Ibrox turf. If it wasn't for David Murray, 9IAR woudn't have been achieveable. If it wasn't for David Murray the European sucess of '93 and '08 wouldn't have happened.

I will admit he has made mistakes, but not everyone is perfect. IMO the person behind this mess is Martin Bain and to some aspect Walter Smith. Yes, David Murray was the one who hired them and maybe that is one his problems, is that he is too loyal to his employes. Which shows he is good man who wouldn't do something, if it wasn't the right thing to do!

At the moment it's Celtic's time, but believe me when I say we will have our time again because We Are The People :rangers:

doh

Point completely missed.

And for some of us second place has never been a success.

David Murray has to take a good share of the blame as he has been handed 60m + by others to invest at Rangers and frankly lost people their money. His long time planning has proved to be very poor. After saying just three years ago when the debt was back down to 6m that we would be prudent - we are back up at 30m.

Bain - How did he negotiate bonuses with the players that were so large that RFC lost money on the way to a UEFA final? How did he wait until after the Kaunas tie to sign midfield players?

Walter - Misspent millions has cost us dearly. 7m on three strikers before Kaunas - we had 5 on our books already - and never bought in any players before the Kaunas tie to replace Cuellar, Davis or Ferguson. We had a rubbish midfield and lost to a pub team and 12m quid went down the drain. Should have been sacked.

• 2 weeks later...

couldnt agree more (tu)

All 3 are to blame to some extent and it is well documented, but, the very reason we are in the shit atm, is down to WS and Kaunas. A situation he could have avoided by utilising his squad of players more and winning the league last year, but no the man who doesn't use his squad went on to build a squad of 28 senior pros top heavy with shite and imbalanced, let's face it the man just hasn't got a clue anymore.

Seriously? How can you say that? David Holmes transformed Rangers, not SDM. How do you know we wouldn't have signed Gazza and Laudrup and achieved 9IAR? Arguably, we could have had more success in Europe, no=one will ever know. SDM didn't put any money into the club until 2000 so to suggest he funded 9IAR and these players simply isn't true. And why would you appoint someone to the position of CEO who had no experience or track record in a job of that magnitude?

David Murray has to take a good share of the blame as he has been handed 60m + by others to invest at Rangers and frankly lost people their money. His long time planning has proved to be very poor. After saying just three years ago when the debt was back down to 6m that we would be prudent - we are back up at 30m.

Bain - How did he negotiate bonuses with the players that were so large that RFC lost money on the way to a UEFA final? How did he wait until after the Kaunas tie to sign midfield players?

Walter - Misspent millions has cost us dearly. 7m on three strikers before Kaunas - we had 5 on our books already - and never bought in any players before the Kaunas tie to replace Cuellar, Davis or Ferguson. We had a rubbish midfield and lost to a pub team and 12m quid went down the drain. Should have been sacked.

Dont whole heartedly disagree , but through all this we need players who put on the light blue with pride and thats what we havent got , no matter who owns the club the will in time get pelters , so for me its the players in there bentleys etc and picking up nice wage cheques who let us down in the CL against Kuanus and many games since